Used 2002 Toyota Sienna CE Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

I love my van!
By Lori

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This van is amazing. 102k mi and still going strong. It's a Toyota after all. Only maintenance we've done is preventative every 5k mi. No issues with sludge like some people have had. It does go through brakes more often than I prefer. Had them done at 70k mi due to vibration/shaking in steering wheel, then redone under warranty due to steering wheel vibration again @ 72k mi. Had the calipers replaced then as well. When it started again at 73k mi I just lived with it. Van stopped fine, it just vibrated & felt awful. I recently had them done again @ 102k & had to replace the rotors this time. Apparently I've had issues with rotors warping & calipers sticking. Mechanic thinks it's due to non toyota parts & not replacing the rotors after warping the first time. We're giving Toyota brakes a try this time. Time will tell.
I run mid grade fuel only. I notice when I use the lower grade fuel or fuel from cheap stations I hear piston chatter when accelerating on the fwy. I only use Shell, chevron or 76

We've been on 13 hour road trips loaded to the max & this van scoots! I have plenty of power to pass if needed and I like that. Takes the hills in the mountains without hesitation. I could pull the grapevine grade in California at 90 if I pushed it. It does 75 with ease.

I like that I can remove the back seats & have tons of cargo room. If you have to use those seats for passengers, as we have in the past, there isn't a lot of room in the back for luggage. A roof rack & cargo bag are a must.
The front seats are comfortable and have held up well. The arm rest on drivers side is starting to show wear from my arm and one of the vent covers has a crack. We've had to replace the sliding door handle, the rear liftgate handle & door seal due to a leak we finally found. Sometimes the button on the sliding door on drivers side gets stuck in. After some messing with it, it pops back out. The other sliding door doesn't like to release & the kids have to give it a whack & it'll open.
Other than those few things it's great! We'll likely keep it until the motor goes in another 100k mi.

Column stick
By Sandra Wilson

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like my Sienna except for an occasional problem. When I go to put the van into Park, it sticks in Reverse. Since this is an occasional issue, I now leave my foot on the break until the van is turned off!!

Overall above average
By H. Zhao

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Brought brand new in 2002. No major issues with van. Now over 150000 miles and still running like new with regular oil change every 3500 miles and timing belt/engine tune at 110000 miles. One problem was the front passenger side break squeaks often after 15000 miles and problem went away after replace front rotor at 110000 miles. Starter went dead at 85000 miles. Other than that, very reliable.

Fun to drive. With car like ride. Quieter ride than the Odyssey.

Back seats very difficult to remove and made of poor quality. Newer models have flip down seats. Gets average 23 mpg on mix driving, newer models are even worst in gas mileage.

After 5 years, some issues
By robro

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This van is really dull first of all. Design is dull, driving it is dull, nothing stands out. Here are a few gripes: 1. Known issue - engine will not start if the IAC valve is dirty. 2. Rear brakes squeal. It was covered by warranty, and they issued some tsb, but how are we supposed to keep up with these private tsb tickets? 3. Turn radius stinks. Three point turns, I am beginning to hate them. Just for this alone, I might switch to a honda odyssey, used!

None.

See my main comments.

RELIABILITY???
By tbk

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Sienna brand new in 2001. A very expensive mistake. Paid thousands more for "legendary" reliability only to find it contains many biodegradeable parts. Oxygen sensors, lower control arms, pads, rotors, drums, even dash lights all needed replacement or servicing within 6 weeks of warranty ending (with only 25000 miles on the vehicle). No help from Toyota... even wanted $75 for a dashboard light bulb! Was told there was no fix for brake noise in Sienna's, "they just do that". Nearly $2000 in repairs to fix everything to try to sell and then the dealer (inspecting the Sienna prior to my selling) told a prospective buyer the brakes squeal because they were aftermarket! Now that's rich!

Very smooth driveability. More carlike than any other minivan except for maybe Honda. Highest head rest adjustability for tall driver safety. (main reason we didn't buy Honda in the first place!)

1.Having seats with LATCH but no tether anchors and then other seats with tehter anchors but no LATCH makes no sense! 2.A little compassion from Toyota for low mileage "just out of warranty" vehicles would go a long way towards customer retention. 3. Seats are way too soft 4.Huge turning circle!