Used 2002 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Primary & Practical
By Del Griebel

2002 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Sienna. It is practical and versatile. I am disappointed with oil consumption, otherwise it is great.

I love my van!
By Lori

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This van is amazing. 102k mi and still going strong. It's a Toyota after all. Only maintenance we've done is preventative every 5k mi. No issues with sludge like some people have had. It does go through brakes more often than I prefer. Had them done at 70k mi due to vibration/shaking in steering wheel, then redone under warranty due to steering wheel vibration again @ 72k mi. Had the calipers replaced then as well. When it started again at 73k mi I just lived with it. Van stopped fine, it just vibrated & felt awful. I recently had them done again @ 102k & had to replace the rotors this time. Apparently I've had issues with rotors warping & calipers sticking. Mechanic thinks it's due to non toyota parts & not replacing the rotors after warping the first time. We're giving Toyota brakes a try this time. Time will tell.
I run mid grade fuel only. I notice when I use the lower grade fuel or fuel from cheap stations I hear piston chatter when accelerating on the fwy. I only use Shell, chevron or 76

We've been on 13 hour road trips loaded to the max & this van scoots! I have plenty of power to pass if needed and I like that. Takes the hills in the mountains without hesitation. I could pull the grapevine grade in California at 90 if I pushed it. It does 75 with ease.

I like that I can remove the back seats & have tons of cargo room. If you have to use those seats for passengers, as we have in the past, there isn't a lot of room in the back for luggage. A roof rack & cargo bag are a must.
The front seats are comfortable and have held up well. The arm rest on drivers side is starting to show wear from my arm and one of the vent covers has a crack. We've had to replace the sliding door handle, the rear liftgate handle & door seal due to a leak we finally found. Sometimes the button on the sliding door on drivers side gets stuck in. After some messing with it, it pops back out. The other sliding door doesn't like to release & the kids have to give it a whack & it'll open.
Other than those few things it's great! We'll likely keep it until the motor goes in another 100k mi.

2002 Sienna 3.0 V6 - 113K
By jackman7

2002 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 2002, now 113k. Overall a great buy for us. Tires a problem with wear due to frt. end weight. You will replace rotors if you do not replace pads earlier than expected. We only get 12-14k on a set of front pads just to be safe. Wife's van; she's a little speedy. Rear shoes repl @ 65k. Normal maintenance items; timing belt @ 90k, change trans fluid every 35-40k, coolant @ 70k,
plugs @ 60k. Front end parts great though must keep aligned. No problems with doors but recommend periodic greasing of all.
Engine and transmission still pull like new (knock on wood). Please report on this site engine/transmission problems and mileage occurred.

Wife likes that it drives like a car but with lots of room. Should have waited a year for the flip down seats; that would have been great! Sliding door is great also.

Better mileage would be a plus as with the 3.0 V6 we only get daily driver 17-20 mpg with loaded shore trips averaging 24-25 mpg.

over 370,000...
By cab_man

2002 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My sienna was purchased with 84,000 miles on it, it has been a taxi for 3 years now and has over 370,000 miles... normal maintanence and some minor interior annoyances, but this van has been fantastic. transmission is starting to slip now, but hey, look at the hard miles it gets as a taxi....looking for another sienna to replace it now.

Silver Train
By drewsmithwick

2002 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a Sienna Symphony model and boy is it great.
It does everything right and has never had one problem.
It tows, holds cargo and people, and never has broken down.
It isn't engaging to drive but it gets the job. This car is a true man van.

Reliability, cargo capacity

Dear Toyota, Just because I buy one of your cars doesn't mean I want to sell my soul and my manhood just by driving one of your cars. Please Put Passion In Your Cars.