2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Happt Owner
By larsonfamily on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 3 kids and the ability to move the last row of seats forward was fantastic. I can take out the buckets, move the back row forward, and put the dog and tv in and we are ready to travel.

My two cents
By sams123456 on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The syling and engine performance has been good. However, I have had this van at the dealership 12 times for alignment and tire problems (The first trip was immediatly after purchase when the fvehicle was new - about 200 miles). I have never had similar issues with other vehicles, so I am convinced that the alignment and tire probles relate to a design issue with this van. I like the JBL system and captian chairs. The controls are easy to use.

Sludgemobile
By NewSludgeVictim on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Sienna developed engine sludge at 80,000 miles and is now at the dealer getting repaired. Unfortunately, they aren't replacing the engine so who knows how soon the problem may return. Along with the squealing brakes when you come to a stop, now I have smoke bellowing from my exhaust when I start the engine cold. I'm very disappointed with the way Toyota has handled this - first misdiagnosing the problem then trying to blame me. Fortunately I have my receipts showing changes every 4500-5500 miles so they couldn't get away with that on me. But it didn't stop them from trying. It is enough to make me take my business to Honda or Nissan.

Almost Perfect
By timmym on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2nd Sienna traded in 1998 with bad rattles and engine with sludge. Happy to say to say no sludge or rattles. A little small in the back. paint quality is so so on ours. Service has been good No unexpected shop visits wow ! over 2 years know

Poor Design, Little Comfort
By formula on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The rear brakes squeal so bad that the van announces its arrival each time you stop. Toyota has no fix. They've replaced the drums, pad and brake cylinders to no avail. The recessed windshield causes the wiper on the drivers side to compact snow and sleet on the the windshield up against the windshield frame instead of removing it. There is a small 17" wiper on the passenger side that wraps around the corner of the windshield is so small that it will not flatten out in the cold weather leaving the passenger side uncleaned and a blocked view. The seats are overly firm even for leather. Access to the third seat is difficult.

Thank God it's on a lease!
By ckshubin on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have nothing but brake problems. Rear brakes hum when stopping - told this was "normal noise" for a Sienna. Very irritating. Had rotors sanded down after only 15,000 miles. 1 week later had metal crunching sound when stopping. Was told "nothing looks wrong". Was also told by dealer not to come back with rear brake noise that there's nothing they can do. Drivers side slider door rattles. Rattle in rear seats about drives me nuts Yes, it's been in to be fixed under warranty. Still rattles. Was planning to buy it at end of lease. I'm just glad i'm not stuck with it and can turn it in and be finished with this lemon when the lease is up.

Lemon on a stick
By rbsrmy3 on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my third Toyota and will be my last. I have had so many problems with the van that I can't imagine any other Sienna's being any better. It is to the point that I have to take it in every two weeks because the engine light comes on. When I first bought it I noticed that it was very noisy to drive. Then all of the problems started. The tire pressure light continues to come on, the sliding doors continue to get stuck open, and now the engine light comes on very often.

Watch out for V6 engines
By DLK-STL on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Toyota based on my ownership of a Camery prior(which was wonderful) and my awful experience with a Dodge Town and County Van. Overall I am pretty pleased with it, but currenly it is in the Toyota Service getting the engine rebuilt. There is only 44,000 miles and we did oil changes as they suggested. However, the entire engine has to be cleaned and rebuilt. According to a posted statement at Jiffy Lube, Toyota is having a problem with their V6 engines. Just in case you wondered, YES they are fixing under warranty, but I was told this we would a one time fix, we will see about that. Anyway, even good car makers can have major problems.

Its a van
By OUfan on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van several weeks ago for my wife. She has really enjoy it and has no regrets about buying Sienna. It thousands less than the Honda Odyssey that were extremely over priced.

Sienna LE
By Sienna Driver on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Dependable vehicle. Next best thing to Honda Odyssey on the market. Went with the Sienna because it was thousands less than the Honda.