Used 2001 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

never another toyota
By skiing family

2001 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We had high expectations but found that the vehicle was plagued with expensive maintenance issues. We have spent nearly $10,000 on mechanical repairs and maintenance over 9 years. Mountain trips with kids and their gear too much for brakes, several complete rebuilds. We finally had brakes retro-fitted with racing discs and pads. We've replaced 3 alternators, two O2 sensors, 2 overdrive solenoids. Service support has been poor. We live in a large city, but parts are never on the shelf. Each time we have required a repair we have lost use of the car for 2 or more days. Over nine years, not with standing routine service, we have probably lost use of the car for 20 to 30 days.

Well finished interior. Good power and handling for a mini-van. Lots of interior space. Fairly good in snow (very good with 4 wheel studded tires).

Toyota service is poor and overly costly. Equivalent service for our ford, saturn and infiniti is less costly. Toyota parts suport is poor. It appears that the engine and transmission monitoring systems are poorly engineered and manufactured. The brakes are severely under built.

Babe Magnet
By VanMan

2001 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am amazed by the reviews on here, some honestly just make me laugh, I run full synthetic, and run 3k mile oil change runs, never had an issue with sludge. My interior takes a beating (not by kids, but snowboards, mountain bikes, and drunken friends) I have replaced the brakes twice in the front, the rears i believe are original, pads in NYC cost me 35 bucks a wheel to replace. rotors are 50 bucks each. The seats are super comfortable, and the ride is better then my friends 99 deville. The seats could be uncomfortable if you are huge, but then just pull the back seats out and roll yourself in.

200k miles and just basic maintenance

Bring back the Previa, the new toyota's are designed for monkeys or really fat people, with long arms and short legs.

Very Happy with my 2001 Sienna.
By DaveB

2001 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new.Now have over 300k km and it just keeps going and going. Never had a major repair. Firm believer in preventative maintenance. Did all recommended maintenance exactly as prescribed in manual and have not had any problems. Lost rear wheel bearings at 260K km but fronts still in good condition. It has survived two teenage drivers and is a favorite for group road trips. Always had part of a sports team on-board going somewhere. Very comfortable to drive. I have since purchased 2 used 2001 corollas in 2004 and 2008 for my kids attending university and they just keep going and going. My non Toyota mechanic can't believe the condition of all 3 cars. 2001 was a very good year for Toyotas.

Dependability.

Customer service. Moved last year. Original dealer where I bought the Van and 2 corollas were fabulous to deal with but new location such a turn off that I could not bring myself to buy a Toyota from them. Bought a new mazda instead. I again feel valued as a customer.

A funny story about my beloved Sienna
By SexyMechanicinHeals

2001 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many cars in the past & not one has ever made me this happy as an owner. I am also an amateur mechanic. My story is classic, because I am a smart-a$$ & it was fun. Last summer I was driving behind a cherry red mustang with the top down. Sweet. Anyhow, the driver was kind of a jerk, ignoring the admirers on the sidewalk calling to him, "What year?" Fed up with this man's "Holier than Thou" attitude, I patted the side of my gray minivan, smiled wide & said, "2001! Ain't she a beuat? Awesome mileage & drives like a dream!" The side of the street guys were in stitches as I waved and pulled away slowly and proud. I LOVE THIS VAN! My next one will just be a newer version!

I love the automatic door feature because it's always come in handy for our large family. The fact that the seats are removable is cool too. Best of all, has to be that after 160,000 miles, so far I have not had any repairs over $500.00 (once, and that was last week!).

The bad publicity on Toyota, of course. Not every Toyota is a dud, we would have known long ago! A decent stereo system standard and onstar (which it may now have).

Toyota Sienna 2001
By Ros123

2001 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been so reliable that I am constantly amazed. Once in a while, I take it in for an overall safety check and except for routine items that need changing in any vehicle, there's never anything wrong!

Smooth ride, mechanical/safety reliable

Nowhere to store items with any privacy so not safe in big cities for having 'stuff' in the car