Used 2001 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Very Happy with my 2001 Sienna.
By DaveB

2001 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new.Now have over 300k km and it just keeps going and going. Never had a major repair. Firm believer in preventative maintenance. Did all recommended maintenance exactly as prescribed in manual and have not had any problems. Lost rear wheel bearings at 260K km but fronts still in good condition. It has survived two teenage drivers and is a favorite for group road trips. Always had part of a sports team on-board going somewhere. Very comfortable to drive. I have since purchased 2 used 2001 corollas in 2004 and 2008 for my kids attending university and they just keep going and going. My non Toyota mechanic can't believe the condition of all 3 cars. 2001 was a very good year for Toyotas.

Dependability.

Customer service. Moved last year. Original dealer where I bought the Van and 2 corollas were fabulous to deal with but new location such a turn off that I could not bring myself to buy a Toyota from them. Bought a new mazda instead. I again feel valued as a customer.

A funny story about my beloved Sienna
By SexyMechanicinHeals

2001 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many cars in the past & not one has ever made me this happy as an owner. I am also an amateur mechanic. My story is classic, because I am a smart-a$$ & it was fun. Last summer I was driving behind a cherry red mustang with the top down. Sweet. Anyhow, the driver was kind of a jerk, ignoring the admirers on the sidewalk calling to him, "What year?" Fed up with this man's "Holier than Thou" attitude, I patted the side of my gray minivan, smiled wide & said, "2001! Ain't she a beuat? Awesome mileage & drives like a dream!" The side of the street guys were in stitches as I waved and pulled away slowly and proud. I LOVE THIS VAN! My next one will just be a newer version!

I love the automatic door feature because it's always come in handy for our large family. The fact that the seats are removable is cool too. Best of all, has to be that after 160,000 miles, so far I have not had any repairs over $500.00 (once, and that was last week!).

The bad publicity on Toyota, of course. Not every Toyota is a dud, we would have known long ago! A decent stereo system standard and onstar (which it may now have).

Toyota Sienna 2001
By Ros123

2001 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been so reliable that I am constantly amazed. Once in a while, I take it in for an overall safety check and except for routine items that need changing in any vehicle, there's never anything wrong!

Smooth ride, mechanical/safety reliable

Nowhere to store items with any privacy so not safe in big cities for having 'stuff' in the car

Had to Junk Our Sienna Due to Oil Sludge
By going.back.to.honda

2001 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a new 2001 Sienna XLE in 2000. 3 years later we had to replace the engine due to oil sludge. Toyota calls it "oil gel". Toyota fought us at first but then agreed to fix the car when we produced oil change receipts. 2 years after that the engine started leaking oil, and we had to replace all the oil seals. Again we had to fight Toyota for reimbursement. Also around this time we incurred over $1800 in costs to replace various fuel and exhaust sensors. And even after that, the check engine light kept coming on. Finally after another 2 years (we had the car 7 years and 80k miles at this point), and a major oil-related repair bill, the engine seized again from oil gel build-up. Avoid the Sienna. We junked the car after spending thousands on oil sludge related repairs and two engine seizures. A total nightmare.

It drove well, when it was running. The "check engine" light and "oil lamp" were soothing to look at after a while, which is a good thing since they were always on no matter what we did to repair the car.

Nothing worth improving here.

Best car I ever owned!
By JC

2001 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this Sienna for 8 years and hate to trade it in. All it has needed is regular maintenance. It drives well in snow. We have often driven 6 adults many miles and everyone is happy, even in the third row. Great car.

leather seats, rear air conditioning

Needs compass and fuel notification.