2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
never another toyota
By skiing family on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We had high expectations but found that the vehicle was plagued with expensive maintenance issues. We have spent nearly $10,000 on mechanical repairs and maintenance over 9 years. Mountain trips with kids and their gear too much for brakes, several complete rebuilds. We finally had brakes retro-fitted with racing discs and pads. We've replaced 3 alternators, two O2 sensors, 2 overdrive solenoids. Service support has been poor. We live in a large city, but parts are never on the shelf. Each time we have required a repair we have lost use of the car for 2 or more days. Over nine years, not with standing routine service, we have probably lost use of the car for 20 to 30 days.

A funny story about my beloved Sienna
By SexyMechanicinHeals on 03/13/10 19:21 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many cars in the past & not one has ever made me this happy as an owner. I am also an amateur mechanic. My story is classic, because I am a smart-a$$ & it was fun. Last summer I was driving behind a cherry red mustang with the top down. Sweet. Anyhow, the driver was kind of a jerk, ignoring the admirers on the sidewalk calling to him, "What year?" Fed up with this man's "Holier than Thou" attitude, I patted the side of my gray minivan, smiled wide & said, "2001! Ain't she a beuat? Awesome mileage & drives like a dream!" The side of the street guys were in stitches as I waved and pulled away slowly and proud. I LOVE THIS VAN! My next one will just be a newer version!

Had to Junk Our Sienna Due to Oil Sludge
By going.back.to.honda on 09/30/09 17:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a new 2001 Sienna XLE in 2000. 3 years later we had to replace the engine due to oil sludge. Toyota calls it "oil gel". Toyota fought us at first but then agreed to fix the car when we produced oil change receipts. 2 years after that the engine started leaking oil, and we had to replace all the oil seals. Again we had to fight Toyota for reimbursement. Also around this time we incurred over $1800 in costs to replace various fuel and exhaust sensors. And even after that, the check engine light kept coming on. Finally after another 2 years (we had the car 7 years and 80k miles at this point), and a major oil-related repair bill, the engine seized again from oil gel build-up. Avoid the Sienna. We junked the car after spending thousands on oil sludge related repairs and two engine seizures. A total nightmare.

Best car I ever owned!
By JC on 08/05/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this Sienna for 8 years and hate to trade it in. All it has needed is regular maintenance. It drives well in snow. We have often driven 6 adults many miles and everyone is happy, even in the third row. Great car.

Very disappointed
By Scott on 07/29/09 23:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Despite the glowing reviews, our 2001 Sienna XLE is one of the worst vehicles we have owned. Its build quality, interior and exterior, leaves much to be desired. The power doors have stopped working, the transmission is leaking, the front speakers went out, the radio head unit is failing, one of the visors is broken, and the fabric and interior overall are poor. I am so disappointed, and my wife hates this vehicle as she has lost confidence in it; we admit that our 2000 Dodge Caravan was a better vehicle, if you can believe that!

Sienna 01
By cac on 10/22/05 16:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

75,000 miles and still on orginal brake pads. Dealer says I still good to go though I keep saying- surely I need to replace them now. Only problem is a sticky automatic side door.

Lovej
By lovej on 01/26/05 22:53 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Sienna has been a dependable and great family vehicle. Only problem I have had continuously is with the brake system. It seems either the front or rear brakes are CONSTANTLY squealing and I need to have them adjusted almost immediately after JUST having them adjusted. It is very frustrating. And the only response I get from Toyota is that "yes" this is a common complaint with the Sienna and then a description of how the brakes are made and why this keeps happening. Not happy about this at all. But, overall, has been a good purchase and we think it is a good value. Would like to have a bit more storage, but see Toyota now has it with the 2004/2005 models. Good job!

Toyota Sienna
By chunter67 on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van in '02 to replace a 91 Pathfinder. Has proven to be very comfortable on long trips with to small kids. Gas mileage is what you would expect for a 6 cyl. Have kept it serviced every 5000 miles at the dealer. Had initial problem with the power sliding doors not working. Right at 36000 and the rear seat will not pull out. Only taken it out 3-4 times. Dealership had to order part. Also, the passenger power window doesn't go down all the time. Overall, wished I could have afforded the Odessey, but this has been ok. Wife likes it for taking the kids around town. Don't get the optional center console; waste of space and no space.

Another SludgeMobile
By SludgeMobile2 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Sienna also developed 'engine oil gel'. Guess that's PC for Sludge. We call it the sludgemobile too. Dealer just rebuilt the engine < 28k miles. Didn't fight either. We have 2 friends that have had rebuilds too. One got back 4000$ on repairs. The brakes squeal, the AC broke < 12 miles, O2 sensor broke, seat back fell off, visor broke (used about 5 times).

Happt Owner
By larsonfamily on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 3 kids and the ability to move the last row of seats forward was fantastic. I can take out the buckets, move the back row forward, and put the dog and tv in and we are ready to travel.