Used 2001 Toyota Sienna XLE Minivan Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

My 2001 sienna
By Tony

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It was my first new vehicle after almost 15 years with 99k miles and still has the original alternator.The ABS light stays on after 5 mintues of driving. Kids had great time in it while on road trips

After 14 years it was time to go
By BattleWagon!

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van used, it was mashed, someone backed over the front of it with a truck and crushed the front end, which i ended up having to replace with junk yard parts.. The van had 37K miles on it when i purchased it and i only paid 4k for it with a clean title. I ended up spending a little less than 2k in parts and put it back together. It never had a single dealership take care of it, which i look for in used toyota's, because the dealerships are terrible when it comes to repairs, i have never seen a single toyota dealership actually fix an issue. Once back together the van was painted with a rattle can one color, the paint was never it's high point, but it was a low mile van, got decent MPG at 20 average, and had enough space to fit people, and stuff in it to move around. It had a great quality feeling interior, something the new ones still don't have. It didn't have the power doors, which is better since they never broke, and everything always worked. I recently sold the van with 397K miles on it.. It suffered from rust in the front rack, and it needed to be replaced, and some welding done, i purchased a used rack and it went with the van, i would have fixed it myself but, at this point in mileage i couldn't justify the work time to fix the issue. But, it ran/runs great, the next owner bought it for 2k and will replace the rack in it.. Never dropped a drip of oil, never burned anything, and if not for the rack i would have made a coast to coast trip with it tomorrow, without any concern it would have broken down. Unfortunately though, toyota's new cars lack the same solid feel, and quality.. so the day's of me driving a newer toyota are over.. Oh well it was nice while it lasted..

never another toyota
By skiing family

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We had high expectations but found that the vehicle was plagued with expensive maintenance issues. We have spent nearly $10,000 on mechanical repairs and maintenance over 9 years. Mountain trips with kids and their gear too much for brakes, several complete rebuilds. We finally had brakes retro-fitted with racing discs and pads. We've replaced 3 alternators, two O2 sensors, 2 overdrive solenoids. Service support has been poor. We live in a large city, but parts are never on the shelf. Each time we have required a repair we have lost use of the car for 2 or more days. Over nine years, not with standing routine service, we have probably lost use of the car for 20 to 30 days.

Well finished interior. Good power and handling for a mini-van. Lots of interior space. Fairly good in snow (very good with 4 wheel studded tires).

Toyota service is poor and overly costly. Equivalent service for our ford, saturn and infiniti is less costly. Toyota parts suport is poor. It appears that the engine and transmission monitoring systems are poorly engineered and manufactured. The brakes are severely under built.

A funny story about my beloved Sienna
By SexyMechanicinHeals

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many cars in the past & not one has ever made me this happy as an owner. I am also an amateur mechanic. My story is classic, because I am a smart-a$$ & it was fun. Last summer I was driving behind a cherry red mustang with the top down. Sweet. Anyhow, the driver was kind of a jerk, ignoring the admirers on the sidewalk calling to him, "What year?" Fed up with this man's "Holier than Thou" attitude, I patted the side of my gray minivan, smiled wide & said, "2001! Ain't she a beuat? Awesome mileage & drives like a dream!" The side of the street guys were in stitches as I waved and pulled away slowly and proud. I LOVE THIS VAN! My next one will just be a newer version!

I love the automatic door feature because it's always come in handy for our large family. The fact that the seats are removable is cool too. Best of all, has to be that after 160,000 miles, so far I have not had any repairs over $500.00 (once, and that was last week!).

The bad publicity on Toyota, of course. Not every Toyota is a dud, we would have known long ago! A decent stereo system standard and onstar (which it may now have).

Had to Junk Our Sienna Due to Oil Sludge
By going.back.to.honda

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a new 2001 Sienna XLE in 2000. 3 years later we had to replace the engine due to oil sludge. Toyota calls it "oil gel". Toyota fought us at first but then agreed to fix the car when we produced oil change receipts. 2 years after that the engine started leaking oil, and we had to replace all the oil seals. Again we had to fight Toyota for reimbursement. Also around this time we incurred over $1800 in costs to replace various fuel and exhaust sensors. And even after that, the check engine light kept coming on. Finally after another 2 years (we had the car 7 years and 80k miles at this point), and a major oil-related repair bill, the engine seized again from oil gel build-up. Avoid the Sienna. We junked the car after spending thousands on oil sludge related repairs and two engine seizures. A total nightmare.

It drove well, when it was running. The "check engine" light and "oil lamp" were soothing to look at after a while, which is a good thing since they were always on no matter what we did to repair the car.

Nothing worth improving here.