Used 2001 Toyota Sienna XLE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

never another toyota
By skiing family

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We had high expectations but found that the vehicle was plagued with expensive maintenance issues. We have spent nearly $10,000 on mechanical repairs and maintenance over 9 years. Mountain trips with kids and their gear too much for brakes, several complete rebuilds. We finally had brakes retro-fitted with racing discs and pads. We've replaced 3 alternators, two O2 sensors, 2 overdrive solenoids. Service support has been poor. We live in a large city, but parts are never on the shelf. Each time we have required a repair we have lost use of the car for 2 or more days. Over nine years, not with standing routine service, we have probably lost use of the car for 20 to 30 days.

Favorite Features

Well finished interior. Good power and handling for a mini-van. Lots of interior space. Fairly good in snow (very good with 4 wheel studded tires).

Suggested Improvements

Toyota service is poor and overly costly. Equivalent service for our ford, saturn and infiniti is less costly. Toyota parts suport is poor. It appears that the engine and transmission monitoring systems are poorly engineered and manufactured. The brakes are severely under built.

A funny story about my beloved Sienna
By SexyMechanicinHeals

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many cars in the past & not one has ever made me this happy as an owner. I am also an amateur mechanic. My story is classic, because I am a smart-a$$ & it was fun. Last summer I was driving behind a cherry red mustang with the top down. Sweet. Anyhow, the driver was kind of a jerk, ignoring the admirers on the sidewalk calling to him, "What year?" Fed up with this man's "Holier than Thou" attitude, I patted the side of my gray minivan, smiled wide & said, "2001! Ain't she a beuat? Awesome mileage & drives like a dream!" The side of the street guys were in stitches as I waved and pulled away slowly and proud. I LOVE THIS VAN! My next one will just be a newer version!

Favorite Features

I love the automatic door feature because it's always come in handy for our large family. The fact that the seats are removable is cool too. Best of all, has to be that after 160,000 miles, so far I have not had any repairs over $500.00 (once, and that was last week!).

Suggested Improvements

The bad publicity on Toyota, of course. Not every Toyota is a dud, we would have known long ago! A decent stereo system standard and onstar (which it may now have).

Had to Junk Our Sienna Due to Oil Sludge
By going.back.to.honda

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a new 2001 Sienna XLE in 2000. 3 years later we had to replace the engine due to oil sludge. Toyota calls it "oil gel". Toyota fought us at first but then agreed to fix the car when we produced oil change receipts. 2 years after that the engine started leaking oil, and we had to replace all the oil seals. Again we had to fight Toyota for reimbursement. Also around this time we incurred over $1800 in costs to replace various fuel and exhaust sensors. And even after that, the check engine light kept coming on. Finally after another 2 years (we had the car 7 years and 80k miles at this point), and a major oil-related repair bill, the engine seized again from oil gel build-up. Avoid the Sienna. We junked the car after spending thousands on oil sludge related repairs and two engine seizures. A total nightmare.

Favorite Features

It drove well, when it was running. The "check engine" light and "oil lamp" were soothing to look at after a while, which is a good thing since they were always on no matter what we did to repair the car.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing worth improving here.

Best car I ever owned!
By JC

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this Sienna for 8 years and hate to trade it in. All it has needed is regular maintenance. It drives well in snow. We have often driven 6 adults many miles and everyone is happy, even in the third row. Great car.

Favorite Features

leather seats, rear air conditioning

Suggested Improvements

Needs compass and fuel notification.

Very disappointed
By Scott

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Despite the glowing reviews, our 2001 Sienna XLE is one of the worst vehicles we have owned. Its build quality, interior and exterior, leaves much to be desired. The power doors have stopped working, the transmission is leaking, the front speakers went out, the radio head unit is failing, one of the visors is broken, and the fabric and interior overall are poor. I am so disappointed, and my wife hates this vehicle as she has lost confidence in it; we admit that our 2000 Dodge Caravan was a better vehicle, if you can believe that!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride and steering. Good A/C.

Suggested Improvements

If the quality of this vehicle is representative of Toyota, quality control is needed, especially interior improvements.