2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Best Car ever!
By rippingmk on 09/09/13 11:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Original Owners of this 2001 Toyota sienna got it way back in 2001 and just keeps on chugging along. Only one big big project was done on it and that was transmission replacement because the fluid was getting burnt. 99,741 I'm expecting to see 100,000 miles within the next 2 weeks!`

Good Boring Van
By 631rob1991 on 03/06/11 21:45 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Drove it to 240,000 miles with no problems. Great quality reliable ride. But about as boring as can be and had a smaller interior then most other mini vans. Overall positive thoughts about the 01 Sienna.

never another toyota
By skiing family on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We had high expectations but found that the vehicle was plagued with expensive maintenance issues. We have spent nearly $10,000 on mechanical repairs and maintenance over 9 years. Mountain trips with kids and their gear too much for brakes, several complete rebuilds. We finally had brakes retro-fitted with racing discs and pads. We've replaced 3 alternators, two O2 sensors, 2 overdrive solenoids. Service support has been poor. We live in a large city, but parts are never on the shelf. Each time we have required a repair we have lost use of the car for 2 or more days. Over nine years, not with standing routine service, we have probably lost use of the car for 20 to 30 days.

Babe Magnet
By VanMan on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am amazed by the reviews on here, some honestly just make me laugh, I run full synthetic, and run 3k mile oil change runs, never had an issue with sludge. My interior takes a beating (not by kids, but snowboards, mountain bikes, and drunken friends) I have replaced the brakes twice in the front, the rears i believe are original, pads in NYC cost me 35 bucks a wheel to replace. rotors are 50 bucks each. The seats are super comfortable, and the ride is better then my friends 99 deville. The seats could be uncomfortable if you are huge, but then just pull the back seats out and roll yourself in.

Very Happy with my 2001 Sienna.
By DaveB on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new.Now have over 300k km and it just keeps going and going. Never had a major repair. Firm believer in preventative maintenance. Did all recommended maintenance exactly as prescribed in manual and have not had any problems. Lost rear wheel bearings at 260K km but fronts still in good condition. It has survived two teenage drivers and is a favorite for group road trips. Always had part of a sports team on-board going somewhere. Very comfortable to drive. I have since purchased 2 used 2001 corollas in 2004 and 2008 for my kids attending university and they just keep going and going. My non Toyota mechanic can't believe the condition of all 3 cars. 2001 was a very good year for Toyotas.

A funny story about my beloved Sienna
By SexyMechanicinHeals on 03/13/10 19:21 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many cars in the past & not one has ever made me this happy as an owner. I am also an amateur mechanic. My story is classic, because I am a smart-a$$ & it was fun. Last summer I was driving behind a cherry red mustang with the top down. Sweet. Anyhow, the driver was kind of a jerk, ignoring the admirers on the sidewalk calling to him, "What year?" Fed up with this man's "Holier than Thou" attitude, I patted the side of my gray minivan, smiled wide & said, "2001! Ain't she a beuat? Awesome mileage & drives like a dream!" The side of the street guys were in stitches as I waved and pulled away slowly and proud. I LOVE THIS VAN! My next one will just be a newer version!

Toyota Sienna 2001
By Ros123 on 01/06/10 14:08 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been so reliable that I am constantly amazed. Once in a while, I take it in for an overall safety check and except for routine items that need changing in any vehicle, there's never anything wrong!

Had to Junk Our Sienna Due to Oil Sludge
By going.back.to.honda on 09/30/09 17:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a new 2001 Sienna XLE in 2000. 3 years later we had to replace the engine due to oil sludge. Toyota calls it "oil gel". Toyota fought us at first but then agreed to fix the car when we produced oil change receipts. 2 years after that the engine started leaking oil, and we had to replace all the oil seals. Again we had to fight Toyota for reimbursement. Also around this time we incurred over $1800 in costs to replace various fuel and exhaust sensors. And even after that, the check engine light kept coming on. Finally after another 2 years (we had the car 7 years and 80k miles at this point), and a major oil-related repair bill, the engine seized again from oil gel build-up. Avoid the Sienna. We junked the car after spending thousands on oil sludge related repairs and two engine seizures. A total nightmare.

Best car I ever owned!
By JC on 08/05/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this Sienna for 8 years and hate to trade it in. All it has needed is regular maintenance. It drives well in snow. We have often driven 6 adults many miles and everyone is happy, even in the third row. Great car.

Very disappointed
By Scott on 07/29/09 23:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Despite the glowing reviews, our 2001 Sienna XLE is one of the worst vehicles we have owned. Its build quality, interior and exterior, leaves much to be desired. The power doors have stopped working, the transmission is leaking, the front speakers went out, the radio head unit is failing, one of the visors is broken, and the fabric and interior overall are poor. I am so disappointed, and my wife hates this vehicle as she has lost confidence in it; we admit that our 2000 Dodge Caravan was a better vehicle, if you can believe that!