1999 Toyota Sienna Consumer Review: Very Pleased in fifth year

1999 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Review

Very Pleased in fifth year
By KAS on

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought the Sienna in June 99 since the Honda Odessy's were back ordered 6 months and suggested premium fuel. At 54K miles I have not had anything more than some minor annoyances crop up, like intermittent emergency brake warning light on dash. Engine and transmission have been flawless and I get 20-22 mpg all around and 27 mpg on extended trips. Although I change my oil every 3-4K miles and normally use synthetic, I was glad to see Toyota recognize the oil sludge problem and extend the warranty. After reading reviews indication transmission problems at 70-80K miles, I am a little concerned and hope Toyota considers extending this warranty also.

Good power for a van and great at hauling a lot of stuff and weight. Very Safe, my wife was hit from behind by a large utility van. Repairs were $4,800, but wife didn't even get a sore neck.

A moderately expensive vehicle should come with better tires. The original Firestone Affinity tires ranked last of tires recently tested by Consumer Reports. At 52K miles, replaced them with less costly, but much better performing Faulken Z512s.