Good Car, Doors Are Terrible
By michaelia on
1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan
It's reliable most of the time. We had to rebuild the alternator twice. Mechanically, it seems to do great, but it's the little things that drive me crazy. In the 4 years we've owned the vehicle, we've had to fix the doors 3 times (3 outside door handles, 1 inside door mechanism). Seems minimal, right? No. Each fix cost us between $200 and $300 because they have to take the door apart from the inside to get the handle in. It's all Labor. The sliding doors have always stuck too. My suspicion is the previous owner had these issues too because the inside sliding door panel on the right side won't stay in place, Probably been taken apart too many times. Current issue: stuck ignition switch.
Favorite Features
Four comfortable bucket seats, smooth handling, road noise is minimal. Fairly reliable. Other than oil changes, we had our alternator go out twice in the same year. We had rebuilt it the first time, so we knew we were taking our chances.
Suggested Improvements
I can understand something breaking periodically, but to have to spend 200-300 bucks a pop to fix doors every year seems a bit excessive. Covers for the audio control buttons could be better, and I think it would be a great idea to have the back seats fold down flat as they do in the Honda Odyssey.