1999 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
I love my Sienna
By Leon on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I've had this van for over a year. I just love it! I've had more than 20 cars before this one, and this is the best I've ever had! And I will stay with Toyota! I routinely have the maintenance done by dealer. Had many long trips (16 hours non-stop drive), yet it never gave me any problem. I don't know the problems with those guys, but it's probably the dealer who gave you the hard time and you in turn blamed on Sienna? Anyway, I just love this car.

A van as a friend
By Merry on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I really do not know why some people think this van is not good. I have had this van for more than three years. It is so smooth to drive. I never had to go to dealer except change engine oil. I had no any problem with it. but honestly I used 93 gas all the time, and probably it is the reason why I had no problem at all.

Great Vehicle
By kericks on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Bought the van in 99 and have driven the pants off of it! It now has 92,000 miles on it, change the oil every 5 to 7.5K miles and it runs beautifully. Oil still light brown after all those miles, and doesn't use a drop of oil between changes. Took on long trip across Nevada, got 26 mpg driving between 75 and 80 mph! (Over 540 miles on one tank!) Only problem has been a broken rear latch (200 bucks to fix) and a slow driver's side window caused, we believe, after it was stolen and recovered. Could use more room behind rear seats, but seats are a dream to flip up or remove.

Give me a some new rear brakes that work
By nstoirma on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

My Sienna CE and have had an on going problem with the rear brake drums. The rear brakes have a thumping sound under low speed braking. There is little point to machine the rear brake drums, since this remedy does not work. Toyota has not been able to repair the rear brakes because of “hot spots or hard spots” in the drums. The turning of the drums is only a temporary solution and has the brake wear the “harden spots” become high spots that cause the thumping noise to occur.

A big disappointment
By Sad owner on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I have owned Toyotas for years. I had always been happy with their quality and reliability - until now. I have had nothing but problems with this van and been blamed repeatedly by the dealer for all the problems. Its funny that I take care of all my Toyotas the same way and none of them ever had any problems like this. The engine is destroyed by oil sludge. Its in the shop getting a new engine right now. The interior of the van is falling apart. The vanity mirrors fell off. The door buttons stick in the down position so you can't close the door. I haul my kids around in this van and it needs to be safe and reliable. This van is WAY off base for that.

Toyota Sienna Minivan Expeirance
By Jessicca Riehl on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Sludge or Oil Gel problem, Had to have engine replaced, blamed poor maintence on consumer, not the case! Have owned toyotas for 20 yrs., the rest have all been fine. Side passanger doors stick which is a saftey issue, they just keep lubing the doors instead of replacing the mechanisims in the handle till the door handle broke off, which they made us pay for.

best van I ever had
By lover on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I already owned three van before I got this van. It is the best van I ever had. I believe I will stick to sienna if I could get chance to replace it. But probably i have no chance since it seems be able running forever. I never had any even tiny problem on it.

The Sienna
By Transport Mom on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

The Sienna is a GREAT family car. It handles like a car, unlike other minivans I have owned. It is tight, it does not rattle, it gives a smooth ride, even after 3 1/2 years of transporting heavy loads which include: family, friends, gardening & hardware supplies etc.

SLUDGE
By wilmore on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

This van was not as good inside as my plymouth van. It's hard to get into the very back seats. My plymouth was roomier. Since I've had sludge problems it's been downhill from there.

Wonderful Van
By yingsheng on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

After three years driving this van. I have nothing to complain especially for my small size family. I never had even one tiny problem with it. The only thing I could suggest is the cost of fuel since toyota recommends to use 91 or above gas and it costs more at current gas price. But anyway, I very like to buy toyota van again 5 or 8 years late (It just seems to last forever).