Used 1999 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Most reliable thing on the road!
By Armani

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought this minivan in May 99 and got the XLE because of the power door feature which surprised me, but was not happy that the power door needs repairing so soon. So far I have 88k miles and have never encountered problems with the engine because of its perfect realiability. A previous minivan didn't make it up hills had so many problems but the Sienna goes up hills with authority.

Power sliding door. Plenty of power!

NONE fine with me!

great mini van
By Mr.T.

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

all I can say is that I should have bought a Toyota a long time ago. I purchased the van and decided to drive to Cape Cod. I didn't even think twice to drive it twelve hours straight. It went down and back up without any questions. the vehicle ran so smooth that at times I caught myself doing 90 to 95 mph and not even noticing how fast I was traveling. Have a blast if you get one...

Good vehicle
By Alan

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

I've owned a Chrysler minivan and a Ford minvan and the Sienna is WAY superior. We bought it as a 2 year old vehicle and could have purchased a new Chrysler Town & Country for about the same money, but the Sienna was such a better vehicle we purchased that and have no regrets. Great family vehicle.

Nice stereo, plenty of cupholders, power sliding door on passenger side.

Driver's leg area is a bit short; I'm 6'3" and would have loved it if the seat would have gone backward another inch or so. Rear seats which fold away rather than need to be removed (they are heavy!) would have been great, too.

The good, the bad, and the . . .
By jgp

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van new as a replacement for 1989 Mazda MPV. Good power and handling (for a minivan) and a very comfortable highway cruiser. Adequate luggage space with all seats up and excellent with rear seats folded or removed. Good size - longer than the MPV and shorter than the Chrysler, Honda, etc. Generally good reliability except for the power sliding door (see below).

Comfortable, quiet ride. Reasonably good reliability (but see below). Easy to fold and/or remove rear seats. Rear heat/AC.

Right rear power sliding door failed after 4 years - just after warranty period. Toyota wanted $1200 to repair it. No, thanks! Replaced factory radio shortly after purchase - couldn't read the small LCD display. Low tire pressure indicator has also been a bit flaky.

great family vehicle
By STLMO

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

I purchased this van from a family member who bought it new. Only the tires have needed replacing, but the brakes will need replacing soon. It now has 82K miles on it, and the engine still drives smoothly and gas mileage is better than an SUV. This vehicle is very family friendly, and we feel safe driving it. It handles very well in bad weather, which is a big plus for me. It has some rattles in various places, but we have put it through a lot. It rides like a car, and it has been a good travel vehicle. It doesn't have many extras, but it has been very functional for our needs. I wasn't crazy about the idea of getting a mini- van, but we have been very pleased with it overall.

Smooth ride; good acceleration for a mini-van; two sliding doors; very few, minor problems even after being put through a lot of abuse; Very adequate gas mileage.

Better factory stereo; a few rattles in doors. Most improvements for my particular vehicle would be solved by optional features we could not afford at the time. Therefore, it would not be fair to rate it down for features we do not have.