1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
The good, the bad, and the . . .
By jgp on 12/06/05 23:59 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van new as a replacement for 1989 Mazda MPV. Good power and handling (for a minivan) and a very comfortable highway cruiser. Adequate luggage space with all seats up and excellent with rear seats folded or removed. Good size - longer than the MPV and shorter than the Chrysler, Honda, etc. Generally good reliability except for the power sliding door (see below).

great family vehicle
By STLMO on 07/02/05 09:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I purchased this van from a family member who bought it new. Only the tires have needed replacing, but the brakes will need replacing soon. It now has 82K miles on it, and the engine still drives smoothly and gas mileage is better than an SUV. This vehicle is very family friendly, and we feel safe driving it. It handles very well in bad weather, which is a big plus for me. It has some rattles in various places, but we have put it through a lot. It rides like a car, and it has been a good travel vehicle. It doesn't have many extras, but it has been very functional for our needs. I wasn't crazy about the idea of getting a mini- van, but we have been very pleased with it overall.

Family van
By viennamicro on 04/22/05 22:59 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Excellent family van - great for trips with 4-6 adults, too. Plenty of passenger room, even with our oversized friend (280 pound linebacker) front and second row.

Known problem with fuel injectors
By Sue on 03/05/05 16:06 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

At 68K engine started missing and running rough. Took van to dealership & was told it was "bad NY gas" that clogged up the fuel injectors so we needed new ones. Took van to independent garage and they showed us a Toyota TSB concerning a design problem with the injectors and they had to be replaced. These were "special" injectors fromToyota that retailed for $150 each and we needed 6.

durable, good performance, sweet engine
By wduck3 on 03/04/05 22:38 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

Flawless performer for almost 94K now. Only one minor glitch with the tire pressure warning light that the dealer could not remedy. The reminder light isn't an active warning system; I don'teven miss it. Wonderful, smooth engine & drive train. Rugged interior (grey cloth) that has worn well with soccer players, two large dogs, antiques, lawn mower, etc. Wish we had gotten the LE's alloy wheels, though.

Why Not To Buy A Sienna
By Very Unhappy Toyota on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

We have broken three passanger handles. We cannot get the vehicle to align we tried 3 times. We have been thru 3 sets of tires and three brake jobs. None of the above are covered by the extended warranty. (Never buy an extended warranty from Toyota) All work was done by dealer with exception of the last brake job was done by a shop that carries a lifetime warranty.

It's Good and Bad of it
By BCCooper on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Good-comfortable ride, reliable, engine fairly quiet. Bad-front-end won't aligned-constant pull to the right; 4 sets of tires in 120,000 miles-can't locate or fix the problem; replacing the rear lights rear door panel costs $65 at the dealership-you cannot do it; paint peeling off door handles; poorly designed sliding door handles/buttons fail to open or stuck open where the door could be closed-cost $175 per handle; dashboard lights that highlight the AC/Heater dial are shorting (sometimes they re-light with a tap on the dash-most the time not).

Don't Buy This Car!
By BurnedBeth on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

I have owned many cars in the past. My most important criteria in a car is reliability. My Sienna is 4.5 years old with 48k miles and I have to spend $1300 replacing all 6 fuel injectors - not covered by the 5 yr 60k warranty. Toyota does not stand by its products. I have never had to spend so much on any car - even those I had for 10 years! The first month we had the car the master cylinder for the ABS failed and left us with no brakes. There are so many vans to choose from - Don't choose a Toyota Sienna.

Super reliable vehicle
By BruceK750 on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Purchased new in 1999, now has 72000 miles. It has never been back at the dealer since we purchased it. I never thought I would like driving a mini- van, but this Sienna drives like a car. I really enjoy driving it. Excellent gas mileage on the highway- avg mileage in town.

Very Pleased in fifth year
By KAS on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought the Sienna in June 99 since the Honda Odessy's were back ordered 6 months and suggested premium fuel. At 54K miles I have not had anything more than some minor annoyances crop up, like intermittent emergency brake warning light on dash. Engine and transmission have been flawless and I get 20-22 mpg all around and 27 mpg on extended trips. Although I change my oil every 3-4K miles and normally use synthetic, I was glad to see Toyota recognize the oil sludge problem and extend the warranty. After reading reviews indication transmission problems at 70-80K miles, I am a little concerned and hope Toyota considers extending this warranty also.