Used 1999 Toyota Sienna XLE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Amazing Gem of a vehicle
By scott2011

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I thought I would never be a mini van family. I started out with a excursion for my family of 5-WAY TO THIRSTY and doesn't drive near as fun/GREAT as a Sienna. I drove a 04 Sienna than a 06 absolutely LOVED the way they handled, felt, and drove. I looked high and low for a a 04 or newer in my price range 11K it was not happening then I came across my new 99 Sienna XLE-I had my doubts at 1st. I didn't drive a 99 and with 159K mls??. THE XLE has beautiful leather seats and it still drove like it just came off the show room floor. These Sienna's are so remarkable do not short change yourself and settle with competition without driving Sienna first. It is truly a luxury mini above the rest.

Toyota Sienna's Leather is beautiful to the touch, smell and site. And that's me one who just bought a used 99 with 159K mls on it. The leather is still that great!! The handling; It fills like I am on a jet plan soaring over through the city streets. I love the power it is tight and smooth. It's no RACE car but it's a bad as__ mini van that drives like a luxury car. The doors; everything screams excellent workmanship. I am an American and I told myself I was going to stick domestic. I drove the Chrysler , Ford and Chevy- I would not be a minivan owner if they were the only ones to choose from. There is nothing thrilling about them. Bland, cheep, noisy nothing like this Sienna.

I wish it were American so that I could contribute towards our economy. I guess in a way I am, maybe more so. All the money I will be saving on having no repairs will go into our economy. The lifestyle with less stress due to less break downs and the thrill of getting in my vehicle each day will help me be a better member to our society. It is 59 F outside (weather) I am going to open my moon roof in the sienna and go drive around the park allowing the crisp cool air to breeze through and the bright beautiful sun rays to shine off the plush beautiful leather in this bad little beauty.

Just Turned 200,000!
By jeds

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Normal maintenance, some extra cleaning of rear breaks, regular synthetic oil changes. Had one handle break at 120,000. Replaced it myself. Starter replaced at 140,000. Luv the car.

Reliability beyond belief.

Really Great
By fredlisancnc

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Just had 10 year anniversary. Soccer mom. Purchased new. Has been a dream vehicle. Now have 135,000 miles. Drives like luxury vehicle. Has been extremely reliable. Have just needed reg. maintenance, i.e oil changes regularly, 18 month brake jobs, (heavy city travel). On 3rd set of Michelin tires, on 3rd battery. Had to replace motor for power window and an alternator. Am now having timing belt, water pump, and ac and ps belts changed for first time which is normal maintenance. Now in its 10th plus year, starting to have a few issues. Valve gaskets are now leaking oil and need replacement. Repair described is approx. $1000 for belts, wp, and new gaskets with labor. Heavily recommend vehicle.

Styling (nicer then present revised style) - reliability - smooth, great ride, better than most cars - tire light lets you know if low on air - powerful engine, easy to go 85 and not feel it, as we have on trips - Use reg gas, (have read others using higher octane, but don't find it necessary).

Really don't see any (get 19 mpg in city).

A brilliant vehicle
By yoda1

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought it new and done 180000K. Only maintenance so far is replacing power steering pump and routine maintenance of brakes and timing belt twice as per schedule. We were so impressed with Sienna,we bought a second Sienna for my wife!

Reliability and handling

Music system and the tire pressure indicator which is flaky.

Sliding doors Sienna stuck
By G

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Love our Sienna but the rear sliding passenger doors are a chronic problem. They are difficult to open from the inside as well as the outside. The knob in the interior gets stuck in the "in" position and thus will not open. On the outside we are now using only one door. The other is impossible to open. The frustrating part is that this is not an uncommon problem for the 1999 Sienna yet my incredible frustration with the dealers and Toyota on a national level who have decided that it is not their problem but the customer. Unfortunately having been loyal customers to Toyota and service we will seriously consider a Subaru or Honda on our next purchase of a vehicle. Just cattle at Toyota.

We were sold on this van because it drives very nice. Like a car and far more comfortable and superior to any other van that we test drove. We like the captain seats in passenger row. We liked the reliability and service until the passenger door issues arose.

Nothing only the acknowledgment of a defect on the 1999 Sienna Minivan passenger doors from the Toyota company. My shoulder is actually beginning to bother me. The one door that we can open takes 8 plus pulls before it will pop open. I am actually concerned about safety issues.