Used 1999 Toyota Sienna LE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Good Car, Doors Are Terrible
By michaelia

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

It's reliable most of the time. We had to rebuild the alternator twice. Mechanically, it seems to do great, but it's the little things that drive me crazy. In the 4 years we've owned the vehicle, we've had to fix the doors 3 times (3 outside door handles, 1 inside door mechanism). Seems minimal, right? No. Each fix cost us between $200 and $300 because they have to take the door apart from the inside to get the handle in. It's all Labor. The sliding doors have always stuck too. My suspicion is the previous owner had these issues too because the inside sliding door panel on the right side won't stay in place, Probably been taken apart too many times. Current issue: stuck ignition switch.

Favorite Features

Four comfortable bucket seats, smooth handling, road noise is minimal. Fairly reliable. Other than oil changes, we had our alternator go out twice in the same year. We had rebuilt it the first time, so we knew we were taking our chances.

Suggested Improvements

I can understand something breaking periodically, but to have to spend 200-300 bucks a pop to fix doors every year seems a bit excessive. Covers for the audio control buttons could be better, and I think it would be a great idea to have the back seats fold down flat as they do in the Honda Odyssey.

Wish I Could Own It Forever
By Happy Camper

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Just passed 326,000 mi. on my Sienna. Purchased new in 1999 - absolutely the best car ever! Faithful maintenance seemed pricey at the time-timing belt every 60,000 miles, e.g., but I stuck to it & can count the number of repairs on one hand. Water pump at 200,000, stuck seat belt, tie rod ends @ 250,000. Had 3 prior Chrysler minivans, none of which lasted more than 140,000; all needed new radiators, transmissions etc. Inconceivable on this van. Not even broken plastic parts. Didn't use the tow package 'til recently. Added a trailer hitch and took a full U-haul across the Appalachians at 300,000 miles w/no problems. Driver seat has great lumbar support - when my back hurts I go sit in my car.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Stability in rain and snow. Great visibility out all windows. Safety - rear-ended a couple of times, but bumper had great shock absorption.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could have been better. But it hasn't declined much as the car has aged. At 326,000 I get about 21 mpg on the highway. Best I ever got was 23 or 24.

Wow, where to start...
By stayhomemom94

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Got new, little over 110k now. On 5th set of tires. Can't keep pressure consistent. Front left tire 1st to be replaced. Radio knobs broke in half. Driver window off track. Need new starter now and front right making awful noise (maybe cv joint needs replacement?). Automatic door sticks and now hardly working. Dash lights barely visible. Had wreck and when dealership repaired, broke piece that held passenger window mechanism into door. Never fixed. Corners of luggage rack have come unglued. Dealer never told us of major saving coupons in middle of manual or we had liquid weatherproof for paint. Tire pressure light on most of time as it wont stay aligned and balanced.

Favorite Features

Nice stereo system. Love controls on wheel. Like removable seats and that the back can maintain their heat and air. Like door opening on key locks for busy hands. Has lots of room. Would drive like you were riding in limo. When tire blew on interstate, barely noticed except for increasing loud noise.

Suggested Improvements

Wow, where to start...Wondering why it eats my tires.

Plastic Door Handles
By PlasticToyotas

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Why on Earth would ANY car company use plastic door handles that break continuously? We are extremely gentle on the handles since we discovered this scam that Toyota has. The handles still break. Since buying this van all of the door handles have been broken at least once and some have broken more than once. Again, we are very gentle with the door handles and they still break. This is such an issue with me that I will NOT buy another Toyota that has plastic parts that are pulled on. My driver's door handle just cost $125 (parts only) at the dealership, the only place locally to get the parts. I have no plans to ever buy a Toyota again because of this.

Favorite Features

Drives nice enough---Other parts of the van are reliable---Jacking Up the van and tire changing is a good design. Easily removable seats turn it into a cargo van quickly.

Suggested Improvements

Use aluminum for the parts that get tugged on repeatedly.

1999 Sienna as seen in 2008-bad tranny!
By R Roberts

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Delighted with the drivability after we bought it in 2005 w/99K mi. Almost no problems the first 2 years.Then in quick succession the radiator and starter failed, soon followed by the tranny. We took it to a reliable tranny shop recommended by our mechanic. They fixed it and we continued to drive it problem free for about 7 months, when the tranny again went out. We took it back to the same shop, who stood by their guarantee, though they kept having problems getting everything right and had to start over about 5 times (cost us only about $200.00 for one add'l part). We drove it only 3 months and the tranny again went out; now no longer under warranty from original repair. Selling this $ pit.

Favorite Features

Double sliding doors, plenty of leg room in all 3 rows, lots of cup holders, 12V power outlet in 2nd row, nice interior lighting. Great van for the first 125K miles!

Suggested Improvements

Obviously some kind of design flaw in transmission. The removable 2nd and 3rd row seats are heavy and don't go back in easily.