Used 1999 Toyota Sienna CE Minivan Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

8 Years with Sienna
By Earl H. Conrad

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

I have owned my '99 for 8 years. The brakes seem to last a long time, but I am on my 4th alternator. Two exterior door handles broke off. What I don't like is not being able to turn off the headlights, I need more leg room, and I don't like the radio tuning. But at 203,000 miles it has been overall reliable. It has outlasted my Ford and Chevy vans by 65,000 miles already. And I replaced the AC system twice. Maybe a screen in the grill would protect it from stones which cause leaks.

The Camry of Minivans
By MtnRoad

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

I have a 1999 Toyota Sienna CE with 3.0L V6 with 80,000 miles, sliding doors on both sides, grey cloth interior, light green paint on exterior. This is a fantastic car. When friends ride in it they immediately comment on how smooth the ride is. The engine is the same V6 they put in the Camry and acceleration is great. Functionality of the van is awesome. When you want to load groceries or other items in tight parking spaces the sliding side doors and huge lift back make everything so easy. I think having sliding doors on both sides was an option so not all Sienna's have that but one will still work out great in those tight parking spaces. I bought the car used from an older couple who had the 3rd row seating removed and a hydraulic lift installed for a motorized wheel chair. I had the lift removed and sold it, and I most likely won't hunt down some replacement 3rd row seats. I own rental properties and the Sienna is perfect for hauling all the stuff I need for work and keeping tools safe in parking lots. I don't like showing up at my rental properties in fancy new cars and the Sienna is perfect for maintaining the look I want in front of people who pay me rent. There is a lot of room in these vans to go camping, or haul stuff and people comfortably. I recently took my Sienna on a huge road-trip with a girlfriend to follow the Seattle Seahawks on some road games and the vehicle performed flawlessly. I set it up to sleep in the back of the van if I wanted, and when I did it was roomy. I don't have much to complain about but if I did it would be the power window control on both the driver and front passenger side short out every now and then and I have to pry them up and fidgit with them a bit to get them working again. The car is a 1999 so no big deal it comes with the age. The replacement part is cheap at the dealership but I'm holding out. The paint is pretty badly oxidized. I live in Arizona and the car is older so it's expected but looks kind of bad. The model I have is the CE edition and it came with steel wheels that had hubcaps and I regularly lost hubcaps (mostly because used ones have broken clips and they don't secure well). In fact there probably isn't a used Sienna hubcap within a 50 mile radius of my house because I have gone through them all. I finally just bought some late 1990's Toyota Camry alloy wheels off eBay for $200 and although they are scuffed a bit they match the age and condition of my car and maintain the original look of the vehicle. Door handles seem loose and ready to break and apparently its normal for Toyota's of this age but it still is something to look for if buying used because replacement cost and labor can run $75-100 for each handle. The only other thing I guess I would mention is the 3.0L V6 for this model uses a timing belt instead of a chain. My car has low mileage but due to the age of it I had the timing belt and water pump changed at the Toyota dealership with a coupon I found on their website. It cost $1500 to have that done along with a complete tune up with spark plugs, wires, etc. Sure, you can find some shade tree mechanic shop to do it for $150-200 less but I got genuine Toyota parts / service / and warranty. I recommend this model to anyone who wants reliability, a good looking vehicle, smooth ride, and lots of room. Sometimes people try to race around me on the freeway on-ramp but they get a nice little reality check when I throw that V6 into action. LOL eat my dust!!!

Great Mini Van
By pastmaster

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

I have owned since new. Has never left me stranded, always been dependable. 139,000 miles and no major problems. I do most all my own maint. I do regular oil changes (syn) I also do drain and refill on tranny at every oil change, some may say thats not needed, but I have never had trouble with Trans. and it only takes 4 qts at a cost of $12.00 which is small price compared to new Trans. Biggest expense was new exhaust from manifold back including new converter, total cost $600.00. Some small problems such as right sliding door sticks, and drivers side window motor is bad. So overall been a great van. I will drive it until the doors fall off.

Favorite feature is how easy you can remove rear seats.

Side Door Handle
By lushbutterfly

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

Bought this new--it's been great with regular maintenance. Replaced the battery twice, we're on 125K now. The side rear door handle on the outside broke off in my hand. $100/part alone. The inside rear door handle has stuck for about 10 of the 11 years--never worked, gets stuck in and then you can't close the door without prying it loose. The only drawbacks are the one side door and the lifting of seats in/out of the van. The newer ones seem a lot better designed. Overall, we love this van and we'll keep driving it till it dies...

Good handling, sit high on the road, safety, good power.

No plastic door handles.

Good Overall Value for a Family Car
By RichLeja

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

We bought this new with a roof rack, cruise, rear AC, and the tow package. We liked it because it drove the most like a car compared to other MVs and for the Toyota reputation. We had a few problems (fuel injectors - fixed on warranty, sticky sliding door button, etc), which weren't big issues. During the 130K miles, the only major repairs (on us) were to replace the brakes (including drums/discs) twice and a new timing belt. Other than that, this has been a really good car for us. It has served us well, even with the abuse from 2 little boys. It is roomy and rides great. On several long trips, it got great freeway mileage (25+), even towing a small jet ski trailer.

Lots of room, freeway mileage, dual sliding doors.

Better materials on the brake discs/drums.