Used 1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

8 Years with Sienna
By Earl H. Conrad

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

I have owned my '99 for 8 years. The brakes seem to last a long time, but I am on my 4th alternator. Two exterior door handles broke off. What I don't like is not being able to turn off the headlights, I need more leg room, and I don't like the radio tuning. But at 203,000 miles it has been overall reliable. It has outlasted my Ford and Chevy vans by 65,000 miles already. And I replaced the AC system twice. Maybe a screen in the grill would protect it from stones which cause leaks.

The Camry of Minivans
By MtnRoad

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

I have a 1999 Toyota Sienna CE with 3.0L V6 with 80,000 miles, sliding doors on both sides, grey cloth interior, light green paint on exterior. This is a fantastic car. When friends ride in it they immediately comment on how smooth the ride is. The engine is the same V6 they put in the Camry and acceleration is great. Functionality of the van is awesome. When you want to load groceries or other items in tight parking spaces the sliding side doors and huge lift back make everything so easy. I think having sliding doors on both sides was an option so not all Sienna's have that but one will still work out great in those tight parking spaces. I bought the car used from an older couple who had the 3rd row seating removed and a hydraulic lift installed for a motorized wheel chair. I had the lift removed and sold it, and I most likely won't hunt down some replacement 3rd row seats. I own rental properties and the Sienna is perfect for hauling all the stuff I need for work and keeping tools safe in parking lots. I don't like showing up at my rental properties in fancy new cars and the Sienna is perfect for maintaining the look I want in front of people who pay me rent. There is a lot of room in these vans to go camping, or haul stuff and people comfortably. I recently took my Sienna on a huge road-trip with a girlfriend to follow the Seattle Seahawks on some road games and the vehicle performed flawlessly. I set it up to sleep in the back of the van if I wanted, and when I did it was roomy. I don't have much to complain about but if I did it would be the power window control on both the driver and front passenger side short out every now and then and I have to pry them up and fidgit with them a bit to get them working again. The car is a 1999 so no big deal it comes with the age. The replacement part is cheap at the dealership but I'm holding out. The paint is pretty badly oxidized. I live in Arizona and the car is older so it's expected but looks kind of bad. The model I have is the CE edition and it came with steel wheels that had hubcaps and I regularly lost hubcaps (mostly because used ones have broken clips and they don't secure well). In fact there probably isn't a used Sienna hubcap within a 50 mile radius of my house because I have gone through them all. I finally just bought some late 1990's Toyota Camry alloy wheels off eBay for $200 and although they are scuffed a bit they match the age and condition of my car and maintain the original look of the vehicle. Door handles seem loose and ready to break and apparently its normal for Toyota's of this age but it still is something to look for if buying used because replacement cost and labor can run $75-100 for each handle. The only other thing I guess I would mention is the 3.0L V6 for this model uses a timing belt instead of a chain. My car has low mileage but due to the age of it I had the timing belt and water pump changed at the Toyota dealership with a coupon I found on their website. It cost $1500 to have that done along with a complete tune up with spark plugs, wires, etc. Sure, you can find some shade tree mechanic shop to do it for $150-200 less but I got genuine Toyota parts / service / and warranty. I recommend this model to anyone who wants reliability, a good looking vehicle, smooth ride, and lots of room. Sometimes people try to race around me on the freeway on-ramp but they get a nice little reality check when I throw that V6 into action. LOL eat my dust!!!

Great Mini Van
By pastmaster

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

I have owned since new. Has never left me stranded, always been dependable. 139,000 miles and no major problems. I do most all my own maint. I do regular oil changes (syn) I also do drain and refill on tranny at every oil change, some may say thats not needed, but I have never had trouble with Trans. and it only takes 4 qts at a cost of $12.00 which is small price compared to new Trans. Biggest expense was new exhaust from manifold back including new converter, total cost $600.00. Some small problems such as right sliding door sticks, and drivers side window motor is bad. So overall been a great van. I will drive it until the doors fall off.

Favorite feature is how easy you can remove rear seats.

Good Car, Doors Are Terrible
By michaelia

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

It's reliable most of the time. We had to rebuild the alternator twice. Mechanically, it seems to do great, but it's the little things that drive me crazy.

In the 4 years we've owned the vehicle, we've had to fix the doors 3 times (3 outside door handles, 1 inside door mechanism). Seems minimal, right? No. Each fix cost us between $200 and $300 because they have to take the door apart from the inside to get the handle in. It's all Labor. The sliding doors have always stuck too. My suspicion is the previous owner had these issues too because the inside sliding door panel on the right side won't stay in place, Probably been taken apart too many times. Current issue: stuck ignition switch.

Four comfortable bucket seats, smooth handling, road noise is minimal. Fairly reliable. Other than oil changes, we had our alternator go out twice in the same year. We had rebuilt it the first time, so we knew we were taking our chances.

I can understand something breaking periodically, but to have to spend 200-300 bucks a pop to fix doors every year seems a bit excessive. Covers for the audio control buttons could be better, and I think it would be a great idea to have the back seats fold down flat as they do in the Honda Odyssey.

Amazing Gem of a vehicle
By scott2011

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I thought I would never be a mini van family. I started out with a excursion for my family of 5-WAY TO THIRSTY and doesn't drive near as fun/GREAT as a Sienna. I drove a 04 Sienna than a 06 absolutely LOVED the way they handled, felt, and drove. I looked high and low for a a 04 or newer in my price range 11K it was not happening then
I came across my new 99 Sienna XLE-I had my doubts at 1st.
I didn't drive a 99 and with 159K mls??.
THE XLE has beautiful leather seats and it still drove like it just came off the show room floor. These Sienna's are so remarkable do not short change yourself and settle with competition without driving Sienna first.
It is truly a luxury mini above the rest.

Toyota Sienna's Leather is beautiful to the touch, smell and site. And that's me one who just bought a used 99 with 159K mls on it. The leather is still that great!! The handling; It fills like I am on a jet plan soaring over through the city streets. I love the power it is tight and smooth. It's no RACE car but it's a bad as__ mini van that drives like a luxury car. The doors; everything screams excellent workmanship. I am an American and I told myself I was going to stick domestic. I drove the Chrysler , Ford and Chevy- I would not be a minivan owner if they were the only ones to choose from. There is nothing thrilling about them. Bland, cheep, noisy nothing like this Sienna.

I wish it were American so that I could contribute towards our economy. I guess in a way I am, maybe more so. All the money I will be saving on having no repairs will go into our economy. The lifestyle with less stress due to less break downs and the thrill of getting in my vehicle each day will help me be a better member to our society. It is 59 F outside (weather) I am going to open my moon roof in the sienna and go drive around the park allowing the crisp cool air to breeze through and the bright beautiful sun rays to shine off the plush beautiful leather in this bad little beauty.