1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Great Mini Van
By pastmaster on 07/11/13 07:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

I have owned since new. Has never left me stranded, always been dependable. 139,000 miles and no major problems. I do most all my own maint. I do regular oil changes (syn) I also do drain and refill on tranny at every oil change, some may say thats not needed, but I have never had trouble with Trans. and it only takes 4 qts at a cost of $12.00 which is small price compared to new Trans. Biggest expense was new exhaust from manifold back including new converter, total cost $600.00. Some small problems such as right sliding door sticks, and drivers side window motor is bad. So overall been a great van. I will drive it until the doors fall off.

Good Car, Doors Are Terrible
By michaelia on 02/18/12 20:39 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

It's reliable most of the time. We had to rebuild the alternator twice. Mechanically, it seems to do great, but it's the little things that drive me crazy. In the 4 years we've owned the vehicle, we've had to fix the doors 3 times (3 outside door handles, 1 inside door mechanism). Seems minimal, right? No. Each fix cost us between $200 and $300 because they have to take the door apart from the inside to get the handle in. It's all Labor. The sliding doors have always stuck too. My suspicion is the previous owner had these issues too because the inside sliding door panel on the right side won't stay in place, Probably been taken apart too many times. Current issue: stuck ignition switch.

Amazing Gem of a vehicle
By scott2011 on 05/19/11 09:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I thought I would never be a mini van family. I started out with a excursion for my family of 5-WAY TO THIRSTY and doesn't drive near as fun/GREAT as a Sienna. I drove a 04 Sienna than a 06 absolutely LOVED the way they handled, felt, and drove. I looked high and low for a a 04 or newer in my price range 11K it was not happening then I came across my new 99 Sienna XLE-I had my doubts at 1st. I didn't drive a 99 and with 159K mls??. THE XLE has beautiful leather seats and it still drove like it just came off the show room floor. These Sienna's are so remarkable do not short change yourself and settle with competition without driving Sienna first. It is truly a luxury mini above the rest.

Wish I Could Own It Forever
By Happy Camper on 03/14/10 13:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Just passed 326,000 mi. on my Sienna. Purchased new in 1999 - absolutely the best car ever! Faithful maintenance seemed pricey at the time-timing belt every 60,000 miles, e.g., but I stuck to it & can count the number of repairs on one hand. Water pump at 200,000, stuck seat belt, tie rod ends @ 250,000. Had 3 prior Chrysler minivans, none of which lasted more than 140,000; all needed new radiators, transmissions etc. Inconceivable on this van. Not even broken plastic parts. Didn't use the tow package 'til recently. Added a trailer hitch and took a full U-haul across the Appalachians at 300,000 miles w/no problems. Driver seat has great lumbar support - when my back hurts I go sit in my car.

Side Door Handle
By lushbutterfly on 02/16/10 15:47 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

Bought this new--it's been great with regular maintenance. Replaced the battery twice, we're on 125K now. The side rear door handle on the outside broke off in my hand. $100/part alone. The inside rear door handle has stuck for about 10 of the 11 years--never worked, gets stuck in and then you can't close the door without prying it loose. The only drawbacks are the one side door and the lifting of seats in/out of the van. The newer ones seem a lot better designed. Overall, we love this van and we'll keep driving it till it dies...

Wow, where to start...
By stayhomemom94 on 09/29/09 23:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Got new, little over 110k now. On 5th set of tires. Can't keep pressure consistent. Front left tire 1st to be replaced. Radio knobs broke in half. Driver window off track. Need new starter now and front right making awful noise (maybe cv joint needs replacement?). Automatic door sticks and now hardly working. Dash lights barely visible. Had wreck and when dealership repaired, broke piece that held passenger window mechanism into door. Never fixed. Corners of luggage rack have come unglued. Dealer never told us of major saving coupons in middle of manual or we had liquid weatherproof for paint. Tire pressure light on most of time as it wont stay aligned and balanced.

Just Turned 200,000!
By jeds on 09/06/09 23:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Normal maintenance, some extra cleaning of rear breaks, regular synthetic oil changes. Had one handle break at 120,000. Replaced it myself. Starter replaced at 140,000. Luv the car.

Really Great
By fredlisancnc on 07/31/09 21:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Just had 10 year anniversary. Soccer mom. Purchased new. Has been a dream vehicle. Now have 135,000 miles. Drives like luxury vehicle. Has been extremely reliable. Have just needed reg. maintenance, i.e oil changes regularly, 18 month brake jobs, (heavy city travel). On 3rd set of Michelin tires, on 3rd battery. Had to replace motor for power window and an alternator. Am now having timing belt, water pump, and ac and ps belts changed for first time which is normal maintenance. Now in its 10th plus year, starting to have a few issues. Valve gaskets are now leaking oil and need replacement. Repair described is approx. $1000 for belts, wp, and new gaskets with labor. Heavily recommend vehicle.

Plastic Door Handles
By PlasticToyotas on 06/22/09 23:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Why on Earth would ANY car company use plastic door handles that break continuously? We are extremely gentle on the handles since we discovered this scam that Toyota has. The handles still break. Since buying this van all of the door handles have been broken at least once and some have broken more than once. Again, we are very gentle with the door handles and they still break. This is such an issue with me that I will NOT buy another Toyota that has plastic parts that are pulled on. My driver's door handle just cost $125 (parts only) at the dealership, the only place locally to get the parts. I have no plans to ever buy a Toyota again because of this.

A brilliant vehicle
By yoda1 on 03/14/09 15:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought it new and done 180000K. Only maintenance so far is replacing power steering pump and routine maintenance of brakes and timing belt twice as per schedule. We were so impressed with Sienna,we bought a second Sienna for my wife!