Used 1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Great Mini Van
By pastmaster

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

I have owned since new. Has never left me stranded, always been dependable. 139,000 miles and no major problems. I do most all my own maint. I do regular oil changes (syn) I also do drain and refill on tranny at every oil change, some may say thats not needed, but I have never had trouble with Trans. and it only takes 4 qts at a cost of $12.00 which is small price compared to new Trans. Biggest expense was new exhaust from manifold back including new converter, total cost $600.00. Some small problems such as right sliding door sticks, and drivers side window motor is bad. So overall been a great van. I will drive it until the doors fall off.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is how easy you can remove rear seats.

Good Car, Doors Are Terrible
By michaelia

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

It's reliable most of the time. We had to rebuild the alternator twice. Mechanically, it seems to do great, but it's the little things that drive me crazy. In the 4 years we've owned the vehicle, we've had to fix the doors 3 times (3 outside door handles, 1 inside door mechanism). Seems minimal, right? No. Each fix cost us between $200 and $300 because they have to take the door apart from the inside to get the handle in. It's all Labor. The sliding doors have always stuck too. My suspicion is the previous owner had these issues too because the inside sliding door panel on the right side won't stay in place, Probably been taken apart too many times. Current issue: stuck ignition switch.

Favorite Features

Four comfortable bucket seats, smooth handling, road noise is minimal. Fairly reliable. Other than oil changes, we had our alternator go out twice in the same year. We had rebuilt it the first time, so we knew we were taking our chances.

Suggested Improvements

I can understand something breaking periodically, but to have to spend 200-300 bucks a pop to fix doors every year seems a bit excessive. Covers for the audio control buttons could be better, and I think it would be a great idea to have the back seats fold down flat as they do in the Honda Odyssey.

Amazing Gem of a vehicle
By scott2011

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I thought I would never be a mini van family. I started out with a excursion for my family of 5-WAY TO THIRSTY and doesn't drive near as fun/GREAT as a Sienna. I drove a 04 Sienna than a 06 absolutely LOVED the way they handled, felt, and drove. I looked high and low for a a 04 or newer in my price range 11K it was not happening then I came across my new 99 Sienna XLE-I had my doubts at 1st. I didn't drive a 99 and with 159K mls??. THE XLE has beautiful leather seats and it still drove like it just came off the show room floor. These Sienna's are so remarkable do not short change yourself and settle with competition without driving Sienna first. It is truly a luxury mini above the rest.

Favorite Features

Toyota Sienna's Leather is beautiful to the touch, smell and site. And that's me one who just bought a used 99 with 159K mls on it. The leather is still that great!! The handling; It fills like I am on a jet plan soaring over through the city streets. I love the power it is tight and smooth. It's no RACE car but it's a bad as__ mini van that drives like a luxury car. The doors; everything screams excellent workmanship. I am an American and I told myself I was going to stick domestic. I drove the Chrysler , Ford and Chevy- I would not be a minivan owner if they were the only ones to choose from. There is nothing thrilling about them. Bland, cheep, noisy nothing like this Sienna.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it were American so that I could contribute towards our economy. I guess in a way I am, maybe more so. All the money I will be saving on having no repairs will go into our economy. The lifestyle with less stress due to less break downs and the thrill of getting in my vehicle each day will help me be a better member to our society. It is 59 F outside (weather) I am going to open my moon roof in the sienna and go drive around the park allowing the crisp cool air to breeze through and the bright beautiful sun rays to shine off the plush beautiful leather in this bad little beauty.

Wish I Could Own It Forever
By Happy Camper

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Just passed 326,000 mi. on my Sienna. Purchased new in 1999 - absolutely the best car ever! Faithful maintenance seemed pricey at the time-timing belt every 60,000 miles, e.g., but I stuck to it & can count the number of repairs on one hand. Water pump at 200,000, stuck seat belt, tie rod ends @ 250,000. Had 3 prior Chrysler minivans, none of which lasted more than 140,000; all needed new radiators, transmissions etc. Inconceivable on this van. Not even broken plastic parts. Didn't use the tow package 'til recently. Added a trailer hitch and took a full U-haul across the Appalachians at 300,000 miles w/no problems. Driver seat has great lumbar support - when my back hurts I go sit in my car.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Stability in rain and snow. Great visibility out all windows. Safety - rear-ended a couple of times, but bumper had great shock absorption.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could have been better. But it hasn't declined much as the car has aged. At 326,000 I get about 21 mpg on the highway. Best I ever got was 23 or 24.

Side Door Handle
By lushbutterfly

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

Bought this new--it's been great with regular maintenance. Replaced the battery twice, we're on 125K now. The side rear door handle on the outside broke off in my hand. $100/part alone. The inside rear door handle has stuck for about 10 of the 11 years--never worked, gets stuck in and then you can't close the door without prying it loose. The only drawbacks are the one side door and the lifting of seats in/out of the van. The newer ones seem a lot better designed. Overall, we love this van and we'll keep driving it till it dies...

Favorite Features

Good handling, sit high on the road, safety, good power.

Suggested Improvements

No plastic door handles.