1999 Toyota Sienna 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

LE Passenger Minivan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Good Car, Doors Are Terrible
By michaelia on 02/18/12 20:39 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

It's reliable most of the time. We had to rebuild the alternator twice. Mechanically, it seems to do great, but it's the little things that drive me crazy. In the 4 years we've owned the vehicle, we've had to fix the doors 3 times (3 outside door handles, 1 inside door mechanism). Seems minimal, right? No. Each fix cost us between $200 and $300 because they have to take the door apart from the inside to get the handle in. It's all Labor. The sliding doors have always stuck too. My suspicion is the previous owner had these issues too because the inside sliding door panel on the right side won't stay in place, Probably been taken apart too many times. Current issue: stuck ignition switch.

Wish I Could Own It Forever
By Happy Camper on 03/14/10 13:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Just passed 326,000 mi. on my Sienna. Purchased new in 1999 - absolutely the best car ever! Faithful maintenance seemed pricey at the time-timing belt every 60,000 miles, e.g., but I stuck to it & can count the number of repairs on one hand. Water pump at 200,000, stuck seat belt, tie rod ends @ 250,000. Had 3 prior Chrysler minivans, none of which lasted more than 140,000; all needed new radiators, transmissions etc. Inconceivable on this van. Not even broken plastic parts. Didn't use the tow package 'til recently. Added a trailer hitch and took a full U-haul across the Appalachians at 300,000 miles w/no problems. Driver seat has great lumbar support - when my back hurts I go sit in my car.

Wow, where to start...
By stayhomemom94 on 09/29/09 23:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Got new, little over 110k now. On 5th set of tires. Can't keep pressure consistent. Front left tire 1st to be replaced. Radio knobs broke in half. Driver window off track. Need new starter now and front right making awful noise (maybe cv joint needs replacement?). Automatic door sticks and now hardly working. Dash lights barely visible. Had wreck and when dealership repaired, broke piece that held passenger window mechanism into door. Never fixed. Corners of luggage rack have come unglued. Dealer never told us of major saving coupons in middle of manual or we had liquid weatherproof for paint. Tire pressure light on most of time as it wont stay aligned and balanced.

Plastic Door Handles
By PlasticToyotas on 06/22/09 23:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Why on Earth would ANY car company use plastic door handles that break continuously? We are extremely gentle on the handles since we discovered this scam that Toyota has. The handles still break. Since buying this van all of the door handles have been broken at least once and some have broken more than once. Again, we are very gentle with the door handles and they still break. This is such an issue with me that I will NOT buy another Toyota that has plastic parts that are pulled on. My driver's door handle just cost $125 (parts only) at the dealership, the only place locally to get the parts. I have no plans to ever buy a Toyota again because of this.

1999 Sienna as seen in 2008-bad tranny!
By R Roberts on 01/01/09 14:41 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Delighted with the drivability after we bought it in 2005 w/99K mi. Almost no problems the first 2 years.Then in quick succession the radiator and starter failed, soon followed by the tranny. We took it to a reliable tranny shop recommended by our mechanic. They fixed it and we continued to drive it problem free for about 7 months, when the tranny again went out. We took it back to the same shop, who stood by their guarantee, though they kept having problems getting everything right and had to start over about 5 times (cost us only about $200.00 for one add'l part). We drove it only 3 months and the tranny again went out; now no longer under warranty from original repair. Selling this $ pit.

It just keeps going
By CVargas on 03/05/08 08:46 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

We purchased this new and it currently has 257,000 miles on it. Recently replaced inner tire rods and that's all.

Will it die?
By toyotasonly on 11/27/07 18:00 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Bought this Sienna van used a couple months ago. After driving a couple of weeks the trans started making a grinding/whining noise, (shifts okay), almost like a bad differential. I took it to a trans shop where they gave me the bad news. Trans needs to be replaced; $1,400. Oh well, I'll keep driving 'till it drops. So far, 4000 miles and steady as she goes. I guess the trans repair will pay for itself. Having never owned a minivan, this one is a blast. This van never lets me down when there is somewhere to go; bad trans and all! I've never had a Toyota let me down yet; 98 Tercel, 05 Taco, 07 Yaris, 99 Sienna. Bullet-proof van, only had to do routine maintenance so far.

Good vehicle
By Alan on 12/28/05 19:07 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

I've owned a Chrysler minivan and a Ford minvan and the Sienna is WAY superior. We bought it as a 2 year old vehicle and could have purchased a new Chrysler Town & Country for about the same money, but the Sienna was such a better vehicle we purchased that and have no regrets. Great family vehicle.

The good, the bad, and the . . .
By jgp on 12/06/05 23:59 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van new as a replacement for 1989 Mazda MPV. Good power and handling (for a minivan) and a very comfortable highway cruiser. Adequate luggage space with all seats up and excellent with rear seats folded or removed. Good size - longer than the MPV and shorter than the Chrysler, Honda, etc. Generally good reliability except for the power sliding door (see below).

great family vehicle
By STLMO on 07/02/05 09:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan

I purchased this van from a family member who bought it new. Only the tires have needed replacing, but the brakes will need replacing soon. It now has 82K miles on it, and the engine still drives smoothly and gas mileage is better than an SUV. This vehicle is very family friendly, and we feel safe driving it. It handles very well in bad weather, which is a big plus for me. It has some rattles in various places, but we have put it through a lot. It rides like a car, and it has been a good travel vehicle. It doesn't have many extras, but it has been very functional for our needs. I wasn't crazy about the idea of getting a mini- van, but we have been very pleased with it overall.