1999 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Great Mini Van
By pastmaster on 07/11/13 07:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

I have owned since new. Has never left me stranded, always been dependable. 139,000 miles and no major problems. I do most all my own maint. I do regular oil changes (syn) I also do drain and refill on tranny at every oil change, some may say thats not needed, but I have never had trouble with Trans. and it only takes 4 qts at a cost of $12.00 which is small price compared to new Trans. Biggest expense was new exhaust from manifold back including new converter, total cost $600.00. Some small problems such as right sliding door sticks, and drivers side window motor is bad. So overall been a great van. I will drive it until the doors fall off.

Side Door Handle
By lushbutterfly on 02/16/10 15:47 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

Bought this new--it's been great with regular maintenance. Replaced the battery twice, we're on 125K now. The side rear door handle on the outside broke off in my hand. $100/part alone. The inside rear door handle has stuck for about 10 of the 11 years--never worked, gets stuck in and then you can't close the door without prying it loose. The only drawbacks are the one side door and the lifting of seats in/out of the van. The newer ones seem a lot better designed. Overall, we love this van and we'll keep driving it till it dies...

Good Overall Value for a Family Car
By RichLeja on 12/27/08 19:47 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

We bought this new with a roof rack, cruise, rear AC, and the tow package. We liked it because it drove the most like a car compared to other MVs and for the Toyota reputation. We had a few problems (fuel injectors - fixed on warranty, sticky sliding door button, etc), which weren't big issues. During the 130K miles, the only major repairs (on us) were to replace the brakes (including drums/discs) twice and a new timing belt. Other than that, this has been a really good car for us. It has served us well, even with the abuse from 2 little boys. It is roomy and rides great. On several long trips, it got great freeway mileage (25+), even towing a small jet ski trailer.

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 4 Dr Van
By Jblieu on 10/05/07 19:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

This has been a very reliable vehicle. We bought this van used with 34000 miles on it. Although it is a CE it has many upgrades such as tinted windows, an upgraded CD system, etc. It currently has around 182000 on it and we have had no problems. It is a smaller van, which I happen to like, but it is laid out well inside. You can fit a surprising amount of luggage or groceries in the back, and you can stow things under the seats. The two sliding doors are great - no worrying about climbing and reaching car seats. If you are looking for a low maintenance reliable mini-van I highly recommend the 99 Sienna.

Known problem with fuel injectors
By Sue on 03/05/05 16:06 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

At 68K engine started missing and running rough. Took van to dealership & was told it was "bad NY gas" that clogged up the fuel injectors so we needed new ones. Took van to independent garage and they showed us a Toyota TSB concerning a design problem with the injectors and they had to be replaced. These were "special" injectors fromToyota that retailed for $150 each and we needed 6.

durable, good performance, sweet engine
By wduck3 on 03/04/05 22:38 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

Flawless performer for almost 94K now. Only one minor glitch with the tire pressure warning light that the dealer could not remedy. The reminder light isn't an active warning system; I don'teven miss it. Wonderful, smooth engine & drive train. Rugged interior (grey cloth) that has worn well with soccer players, two large dogs, antiques, lawn mower, etc. Wish we had gotten the LE's alloy wheels, though.

By Schrader on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

We bought our CE in 2001 with 34K miles on it. Since then we have maintained it regularly and the only problem we've had is the screw that hold the rear window in place came out. Labor was expensive because it was not easy to get at but we have not had any other problems. It now has 64K miles on it and runs strong.

Owning a Toyota Sienna can really hurt!!
By still a Sienna Fan on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

We bought our Sienna with 10 miles on the odometer. The transmission went out at 78,000 miles. A couple we play tennis with had to replace their Sienna's Transmission at 72,000 miles!! The Toyota dealership wanted $4,100 to replace the transmission with a rebuilt one. OUCH! We had it rebuilt by some low-budget grease monkeys for $1600. We're now looking for a sucker to buy the van. Anyone interested????

SLUDGE
By wilmore on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

This van was not as good inside as my plymouth van. It's hard to get into the very back seats. My plymouth was roomier. Since I've had sludge problems it's been downhill from there.