Used 1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Trouble Free
By lsac

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Sienna has been an excellent vehicle since day one. Toyota quality is no kidding. I have had sliding door rattles. After some online research, I put some grease on rubber door stopper and fix the problem. I wish I had power sliding door and wonder how to add one to my van.

Favorite Features

Trouble free, AC is very cool. Nothing had been replaced until 2 months ago. One dashboard buld and one rear parking bulb went out 2 months ago.

Suggested Improvements

Since I got the tranmission letter, I have noticed hiccup from 1st-2nd gear change while in "D".

I love my Sienna!
By 2peopleinaSienna

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Driven daughter back and forth to college from 1998 to 2002; now is moving here furniture from place to place as she finds jobs in the Northeast. More fun than a truck but has carried all her bedroom furniture plus a mattress several times.

Favorite Features

Take out bucket seats for more space.

Never Again
By jjthk

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

This vehicle had 28000 miles on it when bought from a Toyota dealership. I had to have the transmission rebuilt with 85000 miles on the vehicle at $2300. The transmission service was done at the recommended intervals. However, the service was not done by a Toyota dealership, so Toyota would not reveiw the failure to help with the repair cost. I bought a Toyota to avoid this type of problem!! The vehicle has also had constant problems with rattling noises coming from the sliding doors. I'm ready to try a different vehicle manufacturer!

Favorite Features

Drives nice for a mini van.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design needs help to eliminate the rattle problem. Improve driveline reliability!

Nice family car
By murt

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

We purchased our Sienna in '98 and it as been very good. Once our transmission broke when we were going 80 on the turnpike but Toyota covered it. Also our door handles broke through the 6 years of use.

Favorite Features

tons of cupholders good audio

Suggested Improvements

work on improving strength of doorhandles

Still NO PROBLEMS
By Pauld

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van with 12 miles on it, now at 147000 I am on my second set of brake pads and my third set of wipers and tires. Oil changes every 5000 miles, air filter every 30000 mile, Transmission drain & fill every 15000 miles AND THAT IS IT! I haven'y replaced even 1 lamp or light on this car. It has NEVER been in the shop for problems other than recalls. What a great van. My 2 previous CHRYSLER POS's were money drains from day 1.

Favorite Features

Whats not to dislike 28+ mpg on the Highway 24+ around town. Just keeps on going!

Suggested Improvements

NONE!