Used 1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

WILL IT GO 300K
By PDH

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

What can I say, this is my 3rd minivan. At 159k miles on the odo, I'm on my third set of brake pads, 3rd set of tires. EVERYTHING else is original, Haven't even changed a light bulb on this baby. I change oil every 5k and xmission fluid every 15k and various other normal maint & wash & wax. NEVER been in the shop except for recalls. I'm going to try to get 300k out of this van. My only maintenance in the next 5k will be timing belt, water pump and tune up (still get 20 city & 27 mpg on hwy). Although I doubt it needs any of them. Still powers like new, shifts like new and is solid! Even the battery is original. I'm sold. Are you?

Dash Layout, logical control layout, exterior design, tow package.

More Horsepower & torque, VVT-i, fold into floor rear seat (which I think the new models have).

Toyota quality
By michael_nielsen

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Toyota does it again. 100K miles with no issues. Oil change, add gas, that's it. Oh what a feeling !

Powerful V6 engine. Well appointed.

Never, Never Again
By kathy lesher

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I bought this car new. We have had several broken door handles. However, the biggest problem we have had, is an oil leak. We had the rear seal replaced 2 times. Now it stills leaks and we were told that it needs a new engine. We have 111,000 miles on it. I thought Toyotas were made better than this. I would not recommend a Toyota van to anyone who plans on keeping it for longer than 5 years, they do not last long enough.

Better warranties.

First Year Model is no good
By fk!!!

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Purchased a 1998 Toyota Sienna in 1998 June of 1998. First Transmission failed at 80,000 miles. Rebuilt transmission installed under extended warranty purchased by me. Second transmission failed at 90,000. Oil leak with oil pan, valve cover occured at about 90,000. Rear brake design poor. Original rear braked interior dust cover two pieces. Cover rusted and blistered causing rear shoes to hang. Dealership claimed normal wear and refused to cover under extended warranty. High pressure steering line cracked and leaked at 105,000. Radio buttons falling off at 80,000. Passengervanity mirror fell-off at 95,000.

Removable seconf and third row seats. Rear power windows controlled from front seat.

Tearablble build-quality for first year vehichle. Will never buy first year vehicle again. Better gas mileage. Should notify that van prefers premium fuel before allowing customer to purchase. Gas mileage on regular gas 87 octaine is 17 mpg and with premium, 93 octaine, 19 mpg.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By happy family

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Sienna is the best vehicle we've ever owned. Bought it when it was 4 years old, and had over 80,000 miles on it. Now has 127,000 miles, and we've never had one problem with it. We've just done the regular maintainence stuff, and the minivan is absolutely trouble free. Routinely goes 430 miles on one tank of gas. Toyota is awesome. Sienna has one of the best crash test ratings ever too.

Sooo very reliable. Rear air and heat are great. Terrific gas mileage.

Can't think of a thing.