1998 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
fun & practical
By kpd on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

Purchased new in fall of '97 and 65,000 mles later, still enjoy it. I needed flexiblity in a vehicle, the Siena did the trick. Good power along with good mileage, comfortable car handling features and unique (at the time) interior features...the '98 Siena has it all. A couple of negatives: right from the "get-go" the van has had an occasional squeak in the dash and the right rear quarter window rattles unless completely open. The dealership did what they could, but after a couple of months..weeks the squeaks in the dash and the quarter window rattle returned to their orignal fame.

Great van, really love it
By Tomnibus on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

We bought this used with 57,000 miles on it in 2000. The dealership had no idea what this thing had in it, they sold it to us for 3,000 less than the appraised value and told us the towing package that it had installed was a fuzz buster. They were clueless. We couldn't be happier with this van, it runs like a dream, good pickup and go and the gas mileage is good for a van. We got this fully decked out with the leather seats, CD and everything else you can imagine. It has served us well with our three boys. they have trashed it and after cleaning it still manages to look good.

Never back to dealer
By vtsubie on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

I bought this as my 1st Toyota because of reliability issues with previous American brands; I am not disappointed after 5 years and now plan to by the AWD 2004 LE model.

Cool van!
By van mom on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van used, after driving a Corolla around for ten years and being familiar with Toyota's reliability. I love it. It is smooth, comfortable and the only problem I have had is the radio buttons like one of the other reviewers mentioned. Toyotas seems to have little inherent quirks. My Corolla, it was the window crank. Must have replaced five or six and everyone who I talked to with a Corolla, same story. But my middle school aged daughter were with me when I bought it and for them to say, "Wow, cool van"... Plus I know it will never leave me stranded. I had a Caravan once, we won't even go there.

Rattling Sienna
By Esther on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

This Van was my Dream til I bought it. Ever ride in your Great-granfather wagon? The Sienna is the modern version. Took it 4 times for Service for horid rattling in the Dash. It's still there. One of the sliding doors squeeks over classic music. My boss asked me what I thought of it. I told him it's a dream. He bought one, and he hates me for it.

Stay Away from the V6 SLUDGEMOBILE
By Brodie6 on 12/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I had two major engine failures, the last due to sludge. They covered it both times.They are replacing the engine. There were numerous other problems that I encountered. The brakes, the door locks, alignment. A real dog. Not your usual Toyota quality. But I have to give them credit, they stood behind their product. Thats more than alot of companies would do. Anyone want to buy it?. New engine!!!!!

Good but some annoyances
By Olliemax on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

We bought our 4dr Sienna LE new 2/98. It has been reliable with a few aggrevations. At 70k, we are on our fourth radio-push button springs wear out - never had this happen with other cars! Rear brakes thumped until 60k brake job. We had it in several times to solve and gave up,then at 60k brake job problem dissappeared. Low tire air pressure light worked for about 1.5 years then came on intermittently. Cost to repair this problem is prohibitive. Dealer has been great about backing warranty items and taking care of things beyond warranty.

Excellent Choice
By Haylan on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

Nothing really bad that I can find with this van. It is an excellent choice for me.

Rock and Roll Minivan?!
By tbone01 on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Never thought I'd rave about a mini van! Afterall, I'm a working musician and a father three girls and two large labrador retrievers. I haul all sorts of things so my vehicle has got to be reconfigurable - to the max! Everything from rock and roll band gear to the kids' soccer, dance and school gear to family outings! Very tactile and intuitive features. Not to mention, it's never failed me nor left me stranded. I've driven lots of others and hands down, I'll take the Sienna. And as far as resale value, again that's a Toyota hallmark. Highest marks for reliability, performance, functionality and resale.

I'd buy one again
By rlr on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

We have had no problems with this great minivan. Drives smooth and quiet. Handles very well. excellent duel A/C. Had a couple problems with the sliding door mechanisms. Fixed under warranty. Need to rotate tires often, for some reason the front tires get out of balance often. On my third set of tires at 98,000. This is also the safest car on the road in its class when we bought it, sure its about the safest thing you can buy today as well. We love it, and it gets a lot of abuse from our car load of kids. Great on ling trips. the V6 is very smooth and quit and powerful, wonderful engine. We just change oil and rotate tires. Tuned it up once since I bought it!