1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Very happy, with specific probs...
By L bailey on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I have always wanted the Hondy Odyssey, but we couldn't turn down a great opportunity to buy our Sienna from a private party in immaculate condition for a great price! As a family vehicle, we've got plenty of room for the kids and storage, and all the extras come in handy. Our only beef with this vehicle is the very poorly crafted door handles. I've had to replace the rear hatch handle, the sliding door handle, and now the driver's side door handle! Come on, Toyota, you could do better! That being said, I've taken this baby on several cross country road trips, and the fatigue factor is very minimal. Larry B, Rio Rico, Arizona

Good car
By joe joe on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

No problems what so ever with vehicle in 5 years, 85000 miles. Recomended highly.

Sienna
By Colin Finlay on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Ideal vehicle to buy second hand I bought mine new and 6 years later it looks and works the same. The new one looks too boxy. Ok so the rear seat folds down in the new model but think of the money you will save . Only problem is the low tire pressure light comes on even though they are inflated properly.

Great Vehicle!!
By tfret on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

We bought this car in 02 and I've never happier with a car! The vehicle is everything anyone could expect a van to be. We now have just under 100K miles and it still runs just like new. Routine maintenance only, no failures at all. We are totally pleased. My only complaint would be the odd way the windsheild is recessed behind the windsheild posts. This causes water on the windsheild to streek up the glass instead of off the sides of the glass. It also increases the wind noise on the highway. Other than this little oddity, I can't say enough good things about this car. I love it more each time I drive it.

Maximum Reliability
By Alicks on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Hard to believe I'm saying this, but it is the nicest vehicle I've driven. Bought it new because my wife wanted a sporty car and we needed a minivan due to the kid thing: I gave her my RX7. I've changed the oil regularly and the belts (but not the timing belt) once and I'm at 170,000 miles. It runs almost as quietly as when new. New floor mats have made it look like it is only a year or so old. I'm on this site entertaining the thought of a new one.

Sienna hard to beat
By fusy driver on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

During the six years we have had our Sienna, it has proved to be extremely reliable, quiet and easy to drive. The only service has been regular oil changes and brake work required of any vehicle.

Fix for dash squeak
By pbear on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I just want to let people know if they have had the problem with squeaking in the dash - there is a fix. We went to the dealer (just before the warranty expired)and they had a noise reduction kit for the problem. That was several years ago and the problem has not returned.

Sludge!
By Dileo on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Beware of Toyota Sienna 1998 and on. Engine Oil Sludge problem just recently acknowledged (7/02). Lots of warning lights leads to many wild goose chases searching for perhaps non- existent problems and spending lots of money in the meantime...stick to a Honda if you're going to buy a mini- van, post 1999.

Fawn's Toy
By Fawn on 06/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I sold a Lincoln TC, then bought this Van. I have not been sorry. I love it, It is a great ride. There isn't much I don't use it for.From traveling to moving. I haven't had any problems so far. I am thinking of purchasing a new one.

Surprise Surprise
By annabear on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

We have only had to do routine maintenance up until recenlty. We had the transmission fluid flushed right before a major road trip recently and 12 hours away from home the transmission completely failed. We never expected to need to do this at under 90,000 miles and we never imagined a transmission fluid flush would cause such a catastrophic problem! I am quite dissapointed that this has happened and I hope that it is an isolated problem related to poor care by the previous owner/leaser.