1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Toyota quality
By michael_nielsen on 02/01/05 00:52 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Toyota does it again. 100K miles with no issues. Oil change, add gas, that's it. Oh what a feeling !

Never, Never Again
By kathy lesher on 01/03/05 14:29 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I bought this car new. We have had several broken door handles. However, the biggest problem we have had, is an oil leak. We had the rear seal replaced 2 times. Now it stills leaks and we were told that it needs a new engine. We have 111,000 miles on it. I thought Toyotas were made better than this. I would not recommend a Toyota van to anyone who plans on keeping it for longer than 5 years, they do not last long enough.

First Year Model is no good
By fk!!! on 11/24/04 16:36 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Purchased a 1998 Toyota Sienna in 1998 June of 1998. First Transmission failed at 80,000 miles. Rebuilt transmission installed under extended warranty purchased by me. Second transmission failed at 90,000. Oil leak with oil pan, valve cover occured at about 90,000. Rear brake design poor. Original rear braked interior dust cover two pieces. Cover rusted and blistered causing rear shoes to hang. Dealership claimed normal wear and refused to cover under extended warranty. High pressure steering line cracked and leaked at 105,000. Radio buttons falling off at 80,000. Passengervanity mirror fell-off at 95,000.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By happy family on 11/17/04 20:31 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Sienna is the best vehicle we've ever owned. Bought it when it was 4 years old, and had over 80,000 miles on it. Now has 127,000 miles, and we've never had one problem with it. We've just done the regular maintainence stuff, and the minivan is absolutely trouble free. Routinely goes 430 miles on one tank of gas. Toyota is awesome. Sienna has one of the best crash test ratings ever too.

Trouble Free
By lsac on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Sienna has been an excellent vehicle since day one. Toyota quality is no kidding. I have had sliding door rattles. After some online research, I put some grease on rubber door stopper and fix the problem. I wish I had power sliding door and wonder how to add one to my van.

I love my Sienna!
By 2peopleinaSienna on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Driven daughter back and forth to college from 1998 to 2002; now is moving here furniture from place to place as she finds jobs in the Northeast. More fun than a truck but has carried all her bedroom furniture plus a mattress several times.

Never Again
By jjthk on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

This vehicle had 28000 miles on it when bought from a Toyota dealership. I had to have the transmission rebuilt with 85000 miles on the vehicle at $2300. The transmission service was done at the recommended intervals. However, the service was not done by a Toyota dealership, so Toyota would not reveiw the failure to help with the repair cost. I bought a Toyota to avoid this type of problem!! The vehicle has also had constant problems with rattling noises coming from the sliding doors. I'm ready to try a different vehicle manufacturer!

Nice family car
By murt on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

We purchased our Sienna in '98 and it as been very good. Once our transmission broke when we were going 80 on the turnpike but Toyota covered it. Also our door handles broke through the 6 years of use.

Still NO PROBLEMS
By Pauld on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van with 12 miles on it, now at 147000 I am on my second set of brake pads and my third set of wipers and tires. Oil changes every 5000 miles, air filter every 30000 mile, Transmission drain & fill every 15000 miles AND THAT IS IT! I haven'y replaced even 1 lamp or light on this car. It has NEVER been in the shop for problems other than recalls. What a great van. My 2 previous CHRYSLER POS's were money drains from day 1.

Close,but not quite
By japman on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I bought mine Toy Certified and replaced the tranny in the first year under warranty- a $3K fix. Now a year later I have bad seals on the steering- a $2K fix that is not covered. I was expecting more from a Toy, but I am happy with the engine and the interior is excellent. I use the car exclusively for road trips and the range is out of this world - she'll stretch 450 miles on a tank (w/a K&N air filter). Van is quick and agile, roomy & expensive to maintain. Not a chick magnet...