1998 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Good value for a versatile family van
By Grant on 04/19/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

Purchased second hand in 2002 with 140 Kkm. Now at 240 Kkm. Replaced battery at about 200 Kkm. Problems with push-button interior latches on sliding doors. Locks on rear hatch and passenger doors now will not open with key. Arm on motorized crank on rear vent window broke. Metal supports under running boards rusted out. 3-CD cartridge in player occasionally displays error and jams. Exhaust train now rusting out piece by piece.

Hondas now for us
By Hondas now for me on 02/21/08 16:22 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

We've owned this for 7 years now after buying it 3 years used with less than 50K. Before 80K we lost the transmission while on a family vacation and opted to replace it with a used trans. Toyota retroactively gave an extended drive train warranty and we were reimbursed. For the next 100K it did very well with only routine maintenance needed (timing belt, brakes, tires). Some interior body issues like broken air vents, power window motors dying, the cloth seats and steering wheel are wearing quickly. The last couple of months though, it is showing its age. New rack and pinion steering system, minor oil seepage from oil pan, and needs major reg. maint. soon. Will be replacing now.

1998 Sienna Review
By Review for 98 Sienna on 01/17/08 15:41 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I have been happy with the gas mileage (28 mpg!!!). But the config is horrible. Those crazy tumble seats are horrid. But I will say it has not held up that well. The leather is cracking and the paint is chipping. It still is pretty luxurious inside. Also, the seats are not supportive. But hey, all the lemons come out the first year!

Love my Sienna
By MNA on 07/24/07 14:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van new from a dealership - actually I had to order it and wait for it for about a month because it was in such high demand! Have had it for almost 10 yrs now and I still love to drive it! We've traveled in it a bit, and my family and I just love the comfortable ride and its fabulous fuel economy. It has needed NO major maintenance or repairs. We've kept it looking like new (inside and out) and have been timely with oil changes and other recommended tune-ups. Now, I'm thinking about getting a new Toyota SUV (haven't decided which one yet), but I'll really hate to let my Sienna go. Friends and relatives have bought Siennas after we got ours, and they've been very happy with them!

Extremely Reliable, Great Value
By Alicks on 01/31/06 21:54 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Overall, the best vehicle I've ever owned in my 30 years of driving. In about 220k miles, I've done oil changes and paid for tires, brakes, and a new timing belt. Otherwise, it has been perfect. The driving condition is comfortable, and the leather seats have held up well. Removing the back seats is easy, if you have a place to put them. If you want to remove the middle row seats, it can be a pain, but that is offset by the fact that they are very comfortable. Overall, the best automotive value I've experienced (and I've owned one of just about every nameplate). Not sexy at all, but if you are looking for that, you don't want a Minivan anyway.

1998 Sienna
By jim on 01/11/06 16:18 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Excellent performance with comfortable ride on long trips. No maintenance problems with all routine maintenance done at dealer's shop. New tires on at 63000 miles.

1998 Toyota Sienna Review
By O. Major on 01/08/06 18:34 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

Purchased new and has been an excellent vehicle. Storage space in the very rear has been lacking. Otherwise, quiet, smooth and very reliable.

our 98 sienna
By ridgemooor on 11/09/05 22:49 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

This car has proven to be an unbelievable value. The ride is as smooth as silk. Great power. No repairs. Gas, oil and tires and tune- ups. The paint job makes the car still look nearly new.

1998 Toyota Sienna LE
By Glosser Family of CA on 10/03/05 13:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

We bought our van when our son was a baby as I wanted something that was reliable and would keep us safe. This has been a great family van! Our dog and cats have traveled in it, we have taken it on trips. The best thing is that when I was rearended last year the van did its job and protected us and I was THRILLED when it was able to be repaired. Last week the van did its job once again and protected my son and I when we were rearended by a LARGE truck. I am sad to say that the van is not able to be fixed. I will miss it and am planning to get another Sienna.

WILL IT GO 300K
By PDH on 05/29/05 20:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

What can I say, this is my 3rd minivan. At 159k miles on the odo, I'm on my third set of brake pads, 3rd set of tires. EVERYTHING else is original, Haven't even changed a light bulb on this baby. I change oil every 5k and xmission fluid every 15k and various other normal maint & wash & wax. NEVER been in the shop except for recalls. I'm going to try to get 300k out of this van. My only maintenance in the next 5k will be timing belt, water pump and tune up (still get 20 city & 27 mpg on hwy). Although I doubt it needs any of them. Still powers like new, shifts like new and is solid! Even the battery is original. I'm sold. Are you?