Used 1998 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Great family minivan very reliable
By Suzanne

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Can't go wrong with a Toyota, bought this van used with 60,000 miles, been driving it for 5 years and only a few problems with muffler. It now has 14,500 miles and the timing belt just went. Been through 4 kids and lots of trips and always reliable, no brake issues, no transmission problems, very reliable for a family, good gas mileage, too bad American cars can't compare to these Toyotas.

Solid but not spectacular
By Jose

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van from elderly lady with 97k. Leather seats were cracked and ripped. Sliding door handles were loose or broken. Stereo buttons were missing as well. Door hinge hardware partially removed (large sized lady). Drivetrain was in excellent condition. Quiet but underpowered v6 (in my opinion) and smooth shifting transmission made driving pleasant. Seats were comfortable (except for rear bench seats). Well designed interior, though a bit cramped. I had to replace window motors and a/c condenser and brakes. Tire pressure monitor/sensor drove me nuts! Don't get me started on rattling doors and those darn dash rattles/squeaks!

Smooth drivetrain. Moonroof. Spoiler. 12v outlets! Lots of cupholders!

Though now redesigned, make it roomier with no rattles and squeaks!!!!!

Me own a van? But I am a truck guy!
By colonel mustard

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Where to start... this van has taken us all over. I finally fixed the faulty headlights that died on us on our trip to Ga. from Florida. High beams only on I95 at night was not fun. Had the oil sludged engine got a new used engine. No problems so far. I ditched the carpet from the front seats back. I installed rubber locking gym floor mats and cut holes for the seats. Works great. I keep fixing the stupid door handles and found a site on-line that showed me how I could permanently fix the rear trunk latch. Awesome. I also made an exit latch for my rear hatch. I love this van. It is so reliable and I get 23 mpg.

I like that I get 23 Mpg with the v6 engine. The A/c rocks...the room is very handy when camping or relaxing. Now that I put the rubber floor in that is one of my favorite features.

Fix the stupid light problems.

Miss my baby
By Laura

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I loved my Sienna. We bought it when it was a couple years old - drove it until July 09 when it was totaled in an accident (not my fault). It had only 147,000 miles on it and we were planning on keeping it for at least another 50,000. I can't say I walked away (standing on the brake gave me a knee injury), but the airbags did their job and other than the knee, I am fine. The only negative maintenance experience we had were the plastic door handles that did not like the desert heat in El Paso, TX. We were replacing them one at a time as they gave out. I was not fond of the location of the radio (too low on the dash), but other than that then layout and comfort were excellent!

Comfort - good ride, easy to get in and out of (even had friend in their 80's who used third row seats), roomy interior.

Newer Toyotas have moved the radio to an easier to read and reach position - great improvement! Wish they had had fold flat third row seating when this was made - glad it is now available.

BEST Car I've Owned Ever
By JJ

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

We've owned many vehicles, and this is by far the BEST OVERALL! We'll be torn to part with it someday. Owned 2 other brand minivans previously, that didn't hold up. The Sienna has been incredibly reliable - I don't think we've ever taken it in for repairs, just tune-ups and oil changes. About 140,000 miles now. LOVE the comfy captain chairs and ease to drive. We sorta want a new Toyota, but can't bear to part with this one. I suggest not wasting your money on the "cheaper" brands (there's a reason they're cheaper) if you are looking at this age of vehicle.

Captain chairs, cup holders, AC outlets, quietness.

Side door locks once in a while stick, could use more room behind 3rd seat. Can't think of anything else.

• SUV