1998 Toyota Sienna CE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

1998 Sienna Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Sort Reviews by

10 years and more to go!
By Bob R.

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I'm in my late 60s and have purchased and driven many cars over the years and this Sienna is the most reliable that I've ever owned. Other than a short on the sound system that occurred right after I took possession, it's been routine maintenance only. The vehicle is well constructed with great fit and finish. Its ride is very good, handling a bit slow but you get used to it. Power is limited but it runs quiet and smooth, especially at high speeds. It has been very easy on gas for a car that carries a lot, getting about 23 on the highway. The 2008 that we bought to replace it on long trips is much better in those departments. 35 to 40 MPG minimum is our goal in the 98's replacement.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride and handling and good lasting looks. Good size and lines.

Suggested Improvements

Lighter weight removable rear row seats, but that's it!

Good value for a versatile family van
By Grant

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

Purchased second hand in 2002 with 140 Kkm. Now at 240 Kkm. Replaced battery at about 200 Kkm. Problems with push-button interior latches on sliding doors. Locks on rear hatch and passenger doors now will not open with key. Arm on motorized crank on rear vent window broke. Metal supports under running boards rusted out. 3-CD cartridge in player occasionally displays error and jams. Exhaust train now rusting out piece by piece.

Favorite Features

Removable seats, roomy interior, flexible space for 3 kids with carseats, plus gramma and grampa in a pinch, or else pull out the seats and put in full sheets of plywood. Very reliable overall.

Suggested Improvements

Better door latches on sliding doors.

Hondas now for us
By Hondas now for me

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

We've owned this for 7 years now after buying it 3 years used with less than 50K. Before 80K we lost the transmission while on a family vacation and opted to replace it with a used trans. Toyota retroactively gave an extended drive train warranty and we were reimbursed. For the next 100K it did very well with only routine maintenance needed (timing belt, brakes, tires). Some interior body issues like broken air vents, power window motors dying, the cloth seats and steering wheel are wearing quickly. The last couple of months though, it is showing its age. New rack and pinion steering system, minor oil seepage from oil pan, and needs major reg. maint. soon. Will be replacing now.

Favorite Features

Easy to get 3 kids in and out. Comfortable and easy for long trips. Like separate air system for back. Long reliability but not as long as we'd like.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality in plastic parts. Most other improvements have definitely happened in subsequent model years. We're looking forward to trying the Honda Ody now - jumping up about 7 years in car age!

1998 Sienna Review
By Review for 98 Sienna

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I have been happy with the gas mileage (28 mpg!!!). But the config is horrible. Those crazy tumble seats are horrid. But I will say it has not held up that well. The leather is cracking and the paint is chipping. It still is pretty luxurious inside. Also, the seats are not supportive. But hey, all the lemons come out the first year!

Favorite Features

The captains chair, gas mileage, reliability, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Make fold flat seats. Higher quality materials, and better paint.

Love my Sienna
By MNA

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van new from a dealership - actually I had to order it and wait for it for about a month because it was in such high demand! Have had it for almost 10 yrs now and I still love to drive it! We've traveled in it a bit, and my family and I just love the comfortable ride and its fabulous fuel economy. It has needed NO major maintenance or repairs. We've kept it looking like new (inside and out) and have been timely with oil changes and other recommended tune-ups. Now, I'm thinking about getting a new Toyota SUV (haven't decided which one yet), but I'll really hate to let my Sienna go. Friends and relatives have bought Siennas after we got ours, and they've been very happy with them!

Favorite Features

Design, roomy interior, comfortable ride, fuel economy.

Extremely Reliable, Great Value
By Alicks

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Overall, the best vehicle I've ever owned in my 30 years of driving. In about 220k miles, I've done oil changes and paid for tires, brakes, and a new timing belt. Otherwise, it has been perfect. The driving condition is comfortable, and the leather seats have held up well. Removing the back seats is easy, if you have a place to put them. If you want to remove the middle row seats, it can be a pain, but that is offset by the fact that they are very comfortable. Overall, the best automotive value I've experienced (and I've owned one of just about every nameplate). Not sexy at all, but if you are looking for that, you don't want a Minivan anyway.

Favorite Features

Extremely comfortable seats, great driving position and visability. Very quiet. Shifts smoothly, with great pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Who was the idiot who made the rear opening 47.5 inches? Another 1/2 inch would allow a piece of plywood or drywall to be transported.

1998 Sienna
By jim

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Excellent performance with comfortable ride on long trips. No maintenance problems with all routine maintenance done at dealer's shop. New tires on at 63000 miles.

Favorite Features

Excellent performance with full loading on surface roads and freeways. 6 seater handy when required. Seats removeable.

Suggested Improvements

Possible to add luggage rack on top

1998 Toyota Sienna Review
By O. Major

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

Purchased new and has been an excellent vehicle. Storage space in the very rear has been lacking. Otherwise, quiet, smooth and very reliable.

Favorite Features

Drivetrain - smooth & quiet,

Suggested Improvements

Currently the factory running boards have rusted out and can no longer be stepped on........... a little disappointing, Everything else works & looks like new !!

our 98 sienna
By ridgemooor

1998 Toyota Sienna CE 3dr Minivan

This car has proven to be an unbelievable value. The ride is as smooth as silk. Great power. No repairs. Gas, oil and tires and tune- ups. The paint job makes the car still look nearly new.

1998 Toyota Sienna LE
By Glosser Family of CA

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

We bought our van when our son was a baby as I wanted something that was reliable and would keep us safe. This has been a great family van! Our dog and cats have traveled in it, we have taken it on trips. The best thing is that when I was rearended last year the van did its job and protected us and I was THRILLED when it was able to be repaired. Last week the van did its job once again and protected my son and I when we were rearended by a LARGE truck. I am sad to say that the van is not able to be fixed. I will miss it and am planning to get another Sienna.

Favorite Features

I love the power outlets all over the van. Of course, the cup holders are great! The seats are very comfortable.Tilt wheel. Second sliding door.