Used 1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Excellent Vehicle, Super Reliable
By clsharky

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

We bought this minivan used from the original owners with 220k kms. When they bought it new, they had a remote starter, class II towing package with trans cooler installed, and the undercarriage was undercoated with rubberized rockguard. We have owned it nearly 7 years and driven 130k kms for a total of just under 350k kms. In the time we have owned it, I have done regular maintenance to it, brakes, tires, engine tune-ups, etc and have only had to replace both rear wheel bearings, all 4 ABS sensors, two inner tie-rods and the original battery. I just completed the 332k timing belt service and the engine runs like a top. It will tow all I need it to and still gets reasonable fuel mileage

- Will tow just about any mid-sized trailer with ease - With all 3 rear seats removed, there is tons of storage space. It is basically a covered truck. - You will not find a more reliable minivan. The domestic brands do not compare at all to the Sienna. - Very comfortable to drive. It has the same front end as a Camry, so it handles very similar to a car.

- Fuel mileage is not great, but then neither is any minivan. - With the factory privacy glass, it can be hard to see behind you. - Being a Toyota, some of the dealer only parts can be expensive.

Good engine/trans, body hardware weak
By diydiy

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

bought car brand new. did standard maint. car still runs strong and quiet. now at 150K I did do the timing belt/hoses at 75k. The A/C stopped working 3 years ago. Recharged with sealant fixed it! Interior passenger door handle broke twice... cracking AGAIN! Struts seemed okay, but replaced at 120K due to slick salesperson at tire place. Car runs like NEW. The car had LOTS of short trips, and had many hours run time in crazy long traffic. Now giving it to my son to drive until it dies. Best $22K I ever spent on a car. Previous van Dodge caravan sport SE, just about fell apart at 150K, many repairs and extra maint! (But the dodge looked nicer ;-) ).

reliability

interior door handles

DEPENDABLE TOYOTA
By kevin613

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I have owned my 98 Sienna for 10 years and am very pleased with it. I drive it to and from work daily (40 miles round trip). Bought it with 60,000 miles on it and currently it has 158,000 and counting. Problems: exterior door handles breaking (common on these models); one interior door handle break; rear intake gasket leak; power window switch. Also had the rack and pinion replaced recently. Otherwise it has been only routine maintenance required. Another dependable toyota product and can't wait to see how many miles I can get out of it.

Reliability. Tons of cup holders.

Improve quailty of exterior door handles.

Long live my car!
By amrippy

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

My mom bought this car new and I inherited it at 16. I keep saying I'll get a new car when it dies - but it just won't die! The sliding doors stopped working almost immediately (5 years). One won't open at all and the other child locks itself every time it closes. I had them fixed once, but that only lasted about a year before they quit again. At about the 10 year mark, my AC went out. After that things have started to fall apart slowly. I've replaced the battery twice in the last 4 years, had to have a new radiator put in, had an oxygen sensor go out, the thermometer broke, and my armrest regularly breaks. For a 15 year old car though, she's sure still kickin (almost 200,000 miles now)!

Reliable, comfortable for road trips, tons of space (especially without the seats).

Still going strong in 2012
By jc422

1998 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

I've owned this Van since 2006. This van has run everyday for me. There are issues with weak door handles, and Rear AC issues, but for a 14 year old van she's still holding up.

Drives like a car, comfortable, quiet, Reliable. Good support from the website www.siennachat.com

The newer models are better for folding rear seats and wider entry for 48 inch wide sheets of plywood.