1998 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Still going strong in 2012
By jc422 on 09/11/12 17:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I've owned this Van since 2006. This van has run everyday for me. There are issues with weak door handles, and Rear AC issues, but for a 14 year old van she's still holding up.

Keeps on tickin'
By toyotavan lover on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van brand new in 1998 while pregnant with my second child. Now 2 kids more have been raised with this van, and it continues to run on the original engine. Very few repairs other than things you expect, like shock/struts replaced. Kept up with oil changes and maintenance and it has been the most reliable thing I have ever owned. Once again, as others, have replaced those darn door handles x all four over the years. Just bought a brand new 2011 sienna, but couldn't give up this one.

Great family minivan very reliable
By Suzanne on 05/24/10 10:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Can't go wrong with a Toyota, bought this van used with 60,000 miles, been driving it for 5 years and only a few problems with muffler. It now has 14,500 miles and the timing belt just went. Been through 4 kids and lots of trips and always reliable, no brake issues, no transmission problems, very reliable for a family, good gas mileage, too bad American cars can't compare to these Toyotas.

Solid but not spectacular
By Jose on 12/28/09 02:33 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van from elderly lady with 97k. Leather seats were cracked and ripped. Sliding door handles were loose or broken. Stereo buttons were missing as well. Door hinge hardware partially removed (large sized lady). Drivetrain was in excellent condition. Quiet but underpowered v6 (in my opinion) and smooth shifting transmission made driving pleasant. Seats were comfortable (except for rear bench seats). Well designed interior, though a bit cramped. I had to replace window motors and a/c condenser and brakes. Tire pressure monitor/sensor drove me nuts! Don't get me started on rattling doors and those darn dash rattles/squeaks!

Me own a van? But I am a truck guy!
By colonel mustard on 11/16/09 19:23 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Where to start... this van has taken us all over. I finally fixed the faulty headlights that died on us on our trip to Ga. from Florida. High beams only on I95 at night was not fun. Had the oil sludged engine got a new used engine. No problems so far. I ditched the carpet from the front seats back. I installed rubber locking gym floor mats and cut holes for the seats. Works great. I keep fixing the stupid door handles and found a site on-line that showed me how I could permanently fix the rear trunk latch. Awesome. I also made an exit latch for my rear hatch. I love this van. It is so reliable and I get 23 mpg.

Miss my baby
By Laura on 10/05/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I loved my Sienna. We bought it when it was a couple years old - drove it until July 09 when it was totaled in an accident (not my fault). It had only 147,000 miles on it and we were planning on keeping it for at least another 50,000. I can't say I walked away (standing on the brake gave me a knee injury), but the airbags did their job and other than the knee, I am fine. The only negative maintenance experience we had were the plastic door handles that did not like the desert heat in El Paso, TX. We were replacing them one at a time as they gave out. I was not fond of the location of the radio (too low on the dash), but other than that then layout and comfort were excellent!

Exteriors
By Rick on 08/17/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

The Sienna leaves a lot to be desired in the exterior construction - namely door handles that break off. I have had 3 door handles basically disintegrate on this vehicle. They literally break off the door. Poor design and or weak materials. I have never in my life owned a car with door handles that break apart. This is a definite design flaw which they should correct.

A Lemon?
By Chris on 08/21/08 20:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

We're now at 135,000 miles and it's simply unraveling. We just had the inner tie rod replaced ($300). A rear hub assembly had to be replaced ($600). We were told that there are leaks in the transmission, engine, power steering and a rear shock. The suspension is awful and it rattles like crazy. We keep leaving puddles of fluids wherever we park. We need to sell it or it's going to burn a deeper hole in my pocket with all the repairs it needs.

Over all
By peter on 08/01/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Purchased a 1998 Toyota Sienna in 2002. Transmission failed at 140,000 miles. High pressure steering line cracked and leaked at 120,000. 4 out of 5 door handle got broken.

Great car for running kids around
By Dottie Mae on 07/30/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Purchased the car new because we have 3 kids and needeed space for all their stuff when traveling. The transmission went in the first 9 months, was replaced with a new one and haven't had a problem since. Very few repairs besides the usual upkeep.Air conditioning system needed repair after 5 years. Has over 150,000 miles and the ride is still smooth and the kids have grown in 10 years and they all still fit comfortably in the van. We'll keep this until it no longer wants to go.