Used 1998 Toyota Sienna XLE Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Still going strong in 2012
By jc422

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I've owned this Van since 2006.
This van has run everyday for me.
There are issues with weak door handles, and Rear AC issues, but for a 14 year old van she's still holding up.

Drives like a car, comfortable, quiet, Reliable. Good support from the website www.siennachat.com

The newer models are better for folding rear seats and wider entry for 48 inch wide sheets of plywood.

Keeps on tickin'
By toyotavan lover

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van brand new in 1998 while pregnant with my second child. Now 2 kids more have been raised with this van, and it continues to run on the original engine. Very few repairs other than things you expect, like shock/struts replaced. Kept up with oil changes and maintenance and it has been the most reliable thing I have ever owned. Once again, as others, have replaced those darn door handles x all four over the years. Just bought a brand new 2011 sienna, but couldn't give up this one.

RELIABLE! 210,000 miles on it and still getting it down the road!

Door handles that don't break off! Hopefully the power door will eliminate this problem on the new van as the kids won't be yanking on them

Great family minivan very reliable
By Suzanne

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Can't go wrong with a Toyota, bought this van used with 60,000 miles, been driving it for 5 years and only a few problems with muffler. It now has 14,500 miles and the timing belt just went. Been through 4 kids and lots of trips and always reliable, no brake issues, no transmission problems, very reliable for a family, good gas mileage, too bad American cars can't compare to these Toyotas.

Solid but not spectacular
By Jose

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought this van from elderly lady with 97k. Leather seats were cracked and ripped. Sliding door handles were loose or broken. Stereo buttons were missing as well. Door hinge hardware partially removed (large sized lady). Drivetrain was in excellent condition. Quiet but underpowered v6 (in my opinion) and smooth shifting transmission made driving pleasant. Seats were comfortable (except for rear bench seats). Well designed interior, though a bit cramped. I had to replace window motors and a/c condenser and brakes. Tire pressure monitor/sensor drove me nuts! Don't get me started on rattling doors and those darn dash rattles/squeaks!

Smooth drivetrain. Moonroof. Spoiler. 12v outlets! Lots of cupholders!

Though now redesigned, make it roomier with no rattles and squeaks!!!!!

Me own a van? But I am a truck guy!
By colonel mustard

1998 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Where to start... this van has taken us all over. I finally fixed the faulty headlights that died on us on our trip to Ga. from Florida. High beams only on I95 at night was not fun. Had the oil sludged engine got a new used engine. No problems so far. I ditched the carpet from the front seats back. I installed rubber locking gym floor mats and cut holes for the seats. Works great. I keep fixing the stupid door handles and found a site on-line that showed me how I could permanently fix the rear trunk latch. Awesome. I also made an exit latch for my rear hatch. I love this van. It is so reliable and I get 23 mpg.

I like that I get 23 Mpg with the v6 engine. The A/c rocks...the room is very handy when camping or relaxing. Now that I put the rubber floor in that is one of my favorite features.

Fix the stupid light problems.