1998 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Good engine/trans, body hardware weak
By diydiy on 06/12/13 09:07 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

bought car brand new. did standard maint. car still runs strong and quiet. now at 150K I did do the timing belt/hoses at 75k. The A/C stopped working 3 years ago. Recharged with sealant fixed it! Interior passenger door handle broke twice... cracking AGAIN! Struts seemed okay, but replaced at 120K due to slick salesperson at tire place. Car runs like NEW. The car had LOTS of short trips, and had many hours run time in crazy long traffic. Now giving it to my son to drive until it dies. Best $22K I ever spent on a car. Previous van Dodge caravan sport SE, just about fell apart at 150K, many repairs and extra maint! (But the dodge looked nicer ;-) ).

DEPENDABLE TOYOTA
By kevin613 on 02/19/13 13:25 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

I have owned my 98 Sienna for 10 years and am very pleased with it. I drive it to and from work daily (40 miles round trip). Bought it with 60,000 miles on it and currently it has 158,000 and counting. Problems: exterior door handles breaking (common on these models); one interior door handle break; rear intake gasket leak; power window switch. Also had the rack and pinion replaced recently. Otherwise it has been only routine maintenance required. Another dependable toyota product and can't wait to see how many miles I can get out of it.

Long live my car!
By amrippy on 02/05/13 19:46 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

My mom bought this car new and I inherited it at 16. I keep saying I'll get a new car when it dies - but it just won't die! The sliding doors stopped working almost immediately (5 years). One won't open at all and the other child locks itself every time it closes. I had them fixed once, but that only lasted about a year before they quit again. At about the 10 year mark, my AC went out. After that things have started to fall apart slowly. I've replaced the battery twice in the last 4 years, had to have a new radiator put in, had an oxygen sensor go out, the thermometer broke, and my armrest regularly breaks. For a 15 year old car though, she's sure still kickin (almost 200,000 miles now)!

Where do I start?
By pazeredo on 06/21/12 21:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

Shortly after we bought this car the transmission died. We replaced it with another sienna tranny, then that died. So we got another one, and by 170,000 miles it was on its way out, refusing to leave 1st gear until 40mph. As other users have stated, the exterior door handles break off. Our interior handles (backseats) died around 170,000 miles, so I rigged up the trunk to open from the inside. The window motors died by 100,000 miles, and the radio and AC died around the same time. The engine only had about 4 of the 6 cylinders working when it finally died. Despite all of these things, the car held up in my family for 13 years and 4 different drivers, and with care, treated us well.

My Best Vehicle Ever
By luvmiSienna on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

I've owned/drove our 98 Sienna for 10 years, since it was 3yrs old. It has been our best vehicle yet - I've owned 16 others. I've not once had to take it in for a repair. It now has 155K miles and is still a reliable, safe, and most versatile vehicle. The original battery lasted 9 yrs. It still has the original exhaust and timing belt. After our children had grown up and moved on, the removable rear seats came out and I used it for handy man work and pulling a small trailer. City gas mileage is the one complaint, but I've got up to 28 MPG on long trips. The Sienna is by far my best vehicle for vacation trips.

Little things make you wonder
By Jon on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

To be fair, I have had no major problems. But, I don't think they build them like they used to. I have had two window motors and four door handles fail. The design of the door handles is obviously flawed, IMO. The paint is peeling, and there are a lot of rattling noises. This makes you wonder what other shortcuts Toyota has taken.

BEST Car I've Owned Ever
By JJ on 08/17/09 17:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

We've owned many vehicles, and this is by far the BEST OVERALL! We'll be torn to part with it someday. Owned 2 other brand minivans previously, that didn't hold up. The Sienna has been incredibly reliable - I don't think we've ever taken it in for repairs, just tune-ups and oil changes. About 140,000 miles now. LOVE the comfy captain chairs and ease to drive. We sorta want a new Toyota, but can't bear to part with this one. I suggest not wasting your money on the "cheaper" brands (there's a reason they're cheaper) if you are looking at this age of vehicle.

Good value for a versatile family van
By Grant on 04/19/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

Purchased second hand in 2002 with 140 Kkm. Now at 240 Kkm. Replaced battery at about 200 Kkm. Problems with push-button interior latches on sliding doors. Locks on rear hatch and passenger doors now will not open with key. Arm on motorized crank on rear vent window broke. Metal supports under running boards rusted out. 3-CD cartridge in player occasionally displays error and jams. Exhaust train now rusting out piece by piece.

1998 Toyota Sienna Review
By O. Major on 01/08/06 18:34 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

Purchased new and has been an excellent vehicle. Storage space in the very rear has been lacking. Otherwise, quiet, smooth and very reliable.

1998 Toyota Sienna LE
By Glosser Family of CA on 10/03/05 13:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Sienna LE 3dr Minivan

We bought our van when our son was a baby as I wanted something that was reliable and would keep us safe. This has been a great family van! Our dog and cats have traveled in it, we have taken it on trips. The best thing is that when I was rearended last year the van did its job and protected us and I was THRILLED when it was able to be repaired. Last week the van did its job once again and protected my son and I when we were rearended by a LARGE truck. I am sad to say that the van is not able to be fixed. I will miss it and am planning to get another Sienna.