Used 2014 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

2014 Toyota Sequoia SUV

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Best three-row SUV
By RU

2014 Toyota Sequoia SUV Platinum 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Can't believe I have had so many issues
By Redkc720

2014 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We have had nothing but issues with the sonar sensors on our Sequoia. We initially filed a claim in September of 2014. I have driven Toyota vehicles for 17 years and would have been a loyal customer had this not happened. Lucky for us, we had been issue free until this point, so we had no idea that Toyota corporate is not pleasant to work with if you experience issues with your vehicle. We hit things twice that were too low to see and the sensors didn't notify us. Toyota said that isn't their fault. The sensors would work at times, then suddenly not work for a period of time. They finally didn't work for the dealership to see first hand and they finally believed us. I have honestly never called a or visited a car dealership so many times. It was embarrassing. The sensors finally quit working all together. Finally, they replaced all of the equipment. That was a great temporary fix. Next, we had lights blinking, beeping noises and it all quit working completely. We had to bring it in again. This time Toyota replaced all of the wiring...I could go on but won't. We were (over)sold on the safety features of this extra large vehicle. As parents, we thought we were doing the responsible thing. I would never post something like this under normal circumstances, but I have been advised by Toyota to drive the car like it doesn't have sonar sensors. Something to think about when you make a large purchase like this - I do actually look when I am driving - I had that part figured out. I feel like it's fair to expect your equipment to work. If my headlights didn't work, would they tell me not to drive during the day? Do your homework. We really loved this car. It was comfortable, spacious, everything we wanted. It was perfect for our family, until the sensors didn't work. Then the scary thing was evident - the number of things we couldn't see in this big vehicle - like children that can run out quickly. Basically, we paid a lot of money for safety devices that didn't work. Toyota's take? You should always abide by state driving laws if you don't feel save, and you should never rely on your sensors. Thank you Toyota! I could have paid a lot less and not gotten sensors. I think I will find a company that stands behind their equipment. I really thought I would drive Toyotas forever. I can't tell you how disappointed this makes me.

Uncomfortable drive for a tall driver
By tndriver2

2014 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Just traded a 2014 Toyota Sequoia with only 7000 miles for a 2014 Suburban. I bought the Toyota new, and I know that trading it in one year was not a financially wise decision, but I am much happier with the Suburban. On the plus side, the Sequoia is easy to handle and turns and parks like a much smaller car. But the steering wheel hurts my shoulders on long drives, there are a lot of blind spots, there isn't much head room, and the small size of the gas tank is a problem. The Sequoia actually gets worst gas mileage than the Suburban, too. All in all, most of my complaints are about the comfort--this car may work fine for a shorter driver but not for tall drivers.

Turning radius.

Larger steering wheel. Arm rests for driver. More head room. Rear air controls in the front seat. Put radio dials closer to the driver.

BEST SUV <$70K in the market
By suv_king

2014 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Test drove the car back in 2008 and loved it.
Finally purchased one in Jul of 2014.
Steady and solid steering .
Excellent use of interior space. 3rd row seats fit adults. Powerful engine and fun to drive. Has a great instrument panel design, intuitive and functional. Simple fixes, like changing light bulbs can be done easily yourself.
Good visibility to all directions from inside.
I am not a car guy, but i love driving this beast.
I would recommend this to anybody.
The only change would be to make adjustable suspension a standard feature.
Else, this car rocks!

Seat comfort, Powerful engine, solid steering

Bigger gas tank, room above the driver could be slightly higher. I am 6' 1"

Eh....
By asmithmt

2014 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Ok - I started with a much longer review, but ran out of space.
If you are looking for a car that will take you out of "mini-van world" and make you feel slightly cool and powerful, you found the right, over-priced vehicle for the masses. If, however, you are like me, and actually care about aesthetics, performance and amenities, you will be disappointed.

Hard to find a favorite feature - maybe that it DOESN'T have automatic windshield wipers? The Bluetooth capabilities are decent, but if you set up two phones, prepare to have to go into the setup menu every time both phones are even in the same proximity. Why doesn't it just ask you which phone it should connect to when it detects both?

After owning Suburbans for the past decade, I switched only to take advantage of the extra horse power to tow my horse trailer. I bought the same "trim" package in the Sequoia that I had in the Suburban, and I am missing: middle seat heated seats, memory driver seat, split back/seat heating in the front seats, adjustable exit/entry lighting - and, worst of all, it has an ridiculously small fuel tank! If you want to risk running out of fuel hauling your horses, this the car for you. It borders on absurd. You get about 360 miles/gallon hwy without towing, about 230 towing. At least in my Suburban I got 500 hwy and 375 hauling! Very disappointing.