Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Super Sequoia
By Bill

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Needed large SUV so we drove Expedition, Tahoe, and Sequoia. Great deals on all. Features very similar but the quality and execution of the Sequoia is superb. This vehicle is designed to Lexus standards and it shows. Engine is strong and trans is great. Fast, quiet and both my wife and I are fighting to take it. Just had six in it and they all loved it. Drives like a smaller vehicle and is easy to park.

Favorite Features

Seats, engine/trans, and the way it drives. 2nd and 3rd row seats are incredible.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should include memory seats as standard on Limited.

Love my new Sequoia
By capnjackflash

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

2008 Sequoia Platinum, slate w/ red rock interior, laser cruise and DRL the only options. I've already filled it with stuff twice and am amazed at how much fits with rearview mirror still usable. Interior reconfiguration is so simple and easy. 400 lb-ft of torque is always evident and handling is surprisingly good in the sport mode. In soft mode, 85 on a smooth interstate feels like 70. The seating position and front visibility are great, but there are blind spots behind the large front pillars. You get the same huge center console as the Tundra, designed for people using their truck as an office.

Favorite Features

This 5,700 monster has a turn radius like a Honda Civic. Driver has 4 cupholders in easy reach. The climate control is accurate and easy to use. Laser cruise control is totally predictable and so convenient. You must add this option if most of your driving is on the highways.

Suggested Improvements

6'3" and can't clean the windshield w/o a stool. A fold out step and handle would be nice. Laser cruise disengages when driving into the early morning sun. 5.7L V8 uses 0W-20 synth oil making the 5,000 mile oil changes about $110 a pop. Not enough pass. side mirror adjust for shorter drivers.

Silky Smooth
By hisenberg

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We drove our new Sequoia to Sequoia National Park for our first outing with the new vehicle. During this drive, we experienced driving in city, open freeway, mountain roads and icy roads. The entire drive was very smooth. The 6-speed automatic engine was far better than our previous 4-speed domestic luxury SUV. It handled very well in all conditions. The interior of the car has more "plastic" than I normally like. Needs a little more wood trim and some plastic mouldings are loose. Navigation system was excellent. The ride with the air suspension was very comfortable and the steering wheel was steady over all the bumps.

Favorite Features

Navigation system is outstanding along with the integrated bluetooth phone.

Suggested Improvements

Platinum only comes with 2nd row captain's chairs. I'd prefer to have a full 40/20/40 bench which would be much more versatile. HID headlights should be standard (not the halogen's that come equipped with the high end Platinum Edition).

Love My Big Luxury Toy
By DC

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my Sequoia about two months. I went all out. Got the red- rock leather interior, navigation, DVDs in the headrest, etc. My family and I love this SUV. The ride is so smooth and quiet. The leg room for all seats is wonderful. Love the heated and cooled seats. I think once you play around with the navigation it gets easier to control.

Favorite Features

I love everything.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

Disappointed
By Not satisfied

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We traded our 2002 Suburban for the Sequoia in Jan., 2008. With three kids and three dogs, we loved the automatic third row and hatch. It drives and parks like a dream. Within 6 months, tho, the a/c smelled like mildew. After four LENGTHY visits to the dealership who found mildew on the filter, multiple calls to Toyota (we purchased the extended warranty), we are extremely dissatisfied with the "customer service." There is a constant clicking noise under the cage, the hatch does not close all the way, and the dealer could not solve any of the problems. The navigational system cuts off when driving so passengers cannot enter the info. Our TomTom is more well designed.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive; comfortable seats, good lumbar support, easy to park, great pick-up, lousy gas mileage (worse than Suburban). Not as luxurious as the Infiniti or Lexus, but more so than the Honda Pilot & Suburban,

Suggested Improvements

Revamp the navigational system so that at least a passenger can operate it. Offer a softer shade of white or prettier colors. Research the dealership if you decide to purchase this vehicle and do not purchase the extended warranty. It limits who can work on the vehicle regardless of what they say.