Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

2008 Sequoia Limited with all Options
By Luv2Dive

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Traded in my wife's Ford Explorer Sport for the Sequoia Limited 4wd, and it was the best thing we ever did. Before purchasing the 2008 Sequoia, we test drove the Escalade, Tahoe, 2006 Sequoia and Expedition XL for a weekend each, and the 2008 Sequoia was the clear winner. The Sequoia ride quality and handling ability is excellent... even in 4 wheel drive. Our regular ski trips to Lake Tahoe have been a lot more comfortable and fun, since we got the Sequoia.

Favorite Features

The power from the 5.7L engine. The tight turning ability of the Sequoia. The third row seats is very comfortable for tall guys. Also, if you get the DVD player option, it's installed with a 115V AC outlet with video ports, so you can hookup a game station for the kids to use with the DVD screen.

Suggested Improvements

They need to improve the NAV system's voice command control functions... it's too complicated. The power rear door is difficult to open from the driver seat, due to all the operation restrictions and conditions.

Premature exhaust manifold crack at 4k.
By Jomer

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 08 Sequoia last Jan 09, after 3 days the headliner rattled, the headlamp washer cover discolored. After 4k miles the exhaust manifold cracked! Interior very plasticky and hollow!

Favorite Features

Toyota emblem

Suggested Improvements

Maintain Toyota reputation of durability

08 sequoia
By mr08SEQUOIA

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2008 Platinum Sequoia for family and weekend road trips. I test drove the Escalade ESV, Suburban, and Expedition XL. I chose the Sequoia with very little deliberation. The ride is smooth and the options are top rate. I love the interior space, the only two complaints I have are the lack of chrome accents for a model labeled platinum and the navigation and radio system. The resolution on the nav system is poor and the text limitation on the radio is just ridiculous for a product from Toyota. I know the profit margins had to be huge, because they did not invest a lot of money to impress customers or be competitive with $150 Nav systems from Best Buy.

Favorite Features

Power rear door, ride, interior storage and space.

Suggested Improvements

The Platinum Sequoia lists at $61K+, it needs more high end features to distinguish from other Sequoias such as more wood grained interior features, more exterior chrome accents, and chrome wheels.

Bold & Beautiful
By Terery

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Traded in Odyssey (loved it) to get a SUV that would fit our family of 6 and tow our 4,500lb boat. The Sequoia w\ 5.7L has plenty of power on tap & even more torque. It accelerates better w\ boat in tow than my 2002 Tundra V8 did w\ no boat. Ride is good for a SUV, but definitely not minivan smooth. Ergonomics are pretty good, but cups & controls hard to reach (even w\ my long arms). Like the high ride height & visibility. Middle & back rows easily fit 6'+ passengers w\ leg-room to spare. Avg 16-17mpg, which is good for large SUV in town w\ this much power.

Favorite Features

Reliable, powerful, large, and fun to drive. Feel very safe due to safety features, ride height, good control, & impressive braking. Lots of storage space throughout. Climate control & radio is easy to use (like steering wheel controls).

Suggested Improvements

Cup-holders & ac controls could be closer to driver & passengers. Running boards s\b standard vs. optional (ingress/egress difficult for anyone under 5'). Plenty leg room throughout, but more cargo space would help (would have gladly payed $1,000 more for 1-2' extended version).

2008 Sequoia Warranty Repair@763 miles?
By PIF

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I only had the vehicle for 763 miles before a metal piece dropped on the floor as I adjusted my steering column. Now the steering column moves up and down, and can not lock into place. The service people wanted me to wait 2-3 weeks for an appointment. Would you drive a car like that? I said no. Toyota Quality?

Suggested Improvements

My confidence with my steering wheel would be a start ;)