Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Great Family Vehicle
By Jonathan

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I was interested in the Sequoia before the redesign, and after seeing the new 2008's it moved to top of my list. We got the Limited edition and added the dual headrest DVDs with 2nd Row bucket seats. I could not be more happy with this car. It is primarily my wife's and she goes on and on about how much she loves driving this car. It has an incredible turning radius for a car of its size and drives very quiet and smooth. For long trips, the ride, the navigation, and the rear DVDs make traveling with our 3 year old and 3 month old a breeze.

Push button fold down 3rd row seats, automatic rear door, rear window that can go down, 2nd row bucket seats, headrest DVD system, navigation system, smooth and powerful ride and wonderful turning radius.

The voice command is not as responsive as I'd like, the mic for the bluetooth is useless, I'd like to control navigation while driving, I would say gas mileage - but I didn't buy this car for the gas mileage.

Pros/Cons
By Paul Dobrovolskis

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I needed a full size SUV that had trailer towing capacity that gave me room to play when towing a boat. I have had Toyotas in the past and though always scant on creature comforts have been extremely well made and reliable. My last clocked in at 450,000 km and only died due to an accident. Issues IPOD connectivity useless to non existent. Don't bother with the Toyota cable. Navigation package useless. Very error laden, extremely user unfriendly, better to buy an aftermarket system. A 150$ garmin will outperform the Toyota navigation. Gas cap has no lock. Oil changes, uses a cartridge filter that few aftermarket dealers have. Dealers even hate doing changes.

Engine power- power to spare hauling 6000 lbs. Comfort; great seats, views good comfortable ride, plenty of adjustability for trailer towing. Turning radius - beats any other vehicle in its size class. Quiet ride, low noise at highway speed.

By far the worst problem is the navigation/bluetooth system. The maps are years out of date. 2008 DVD with maps from NAVTEQ dated 2003!. Navigation lock out while in motion. You must stop to use it as the voice commands often won't read properly. Can't even find a gas station while in motion.

2008 Toy
By A Real SUV!!!

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Love this truck, bought it 500 miles ago. I had a Ford expedition that I got rid of when gas hit almost $5.00 a gallon. I went to a Cherokee sport which was just as bad, then I went to 2009 Toyota matrix, which was beautiful on gas, but I was very unhappy with the limited space. 10 months later I traded in the matrix for the sequoia (best investment I made!). I don't care if gas hits $10.00 a gallon - it's worth it & if you put super you can get about 14 miles a gallon in the city.

JBL speakers, DVD, back up camera

Dashboard, but what can you expect - it's a full size truck. If you want easy to reach, then go with a BMW x3 or x5 or a crossover!

2008 Sequoia Limited with all Options
By Luv2Dive

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Traded in my wife's Ford Explorer Sport for the Sequoia Limited 4wd, and it was the best thing we ever did. Before purchasing the 2008 Sequoia, we test drove the Escalade, Tahoe, 2006 Sequoia and Expedition XL for a weekend each, and the 2008 Sequoia was the clear winner. The Sequoia ride quality and handling ability is excellent... even in 4 wheel drive. Our regular ski trips to Lake Tahoe have been a lot more comfortable and fun, since we got the Sequoia.

The power from the 5.7L engine. The tight turning ability of the Sequoia. The third row seats is very comfortable for tall guys. Also, if you get the DVD player option, it's installed with a 115V AC outlet with video ports, so you can hookup a game station for the kids to use with the DVD screen.

They need to improve the NAV system's voice command control functions... it's too complicated. The power rear door is difficult to open from the driver seat, due to all the operation restrictions and conditions.

Premature exhaust manifold crack at 4k.
By Jomer

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 08 Sequoia last Jan 09, after 3 days the headliner rattled, the headlamp washer cover discolored. After 4k miles the exhaust manifold cracked! Interior very plasticky and hollow!

Toyota emblem