Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Room for Improvement
By Guffey Time

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We live in a very rural area on dirt roads. We were amazed at how this vehicle allows the dust to come in. The rattles in the car are very irritating. The bluetooth does NOT work. The person on the other end says that it sounds like you are in a tunnel and cannot hear. Toyota cannot fix the problems! The towing is amazing which is the only reason I am keeping the car. You pay 52000 for a car, you expect a little more - not dust and rattles.

Favorite Features

The towing is awesome! I pull a 2 horse trailer with 2 horses in a mountainous area with no problem.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the rattles. The back seats make so much noise that I put the seats down. Fix the dust problem. The amount of dirt that flows into the vehicle is ridiculous.

I love it
By Jim

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV Platinum 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second Sequoia, the first is now in my daughter's hands and she loves it, I got the '08 when she got my old one and although it took a little getting used to, it's a superior vehicle to any other SUV I've owned, Ford and GM. The features of the Platinum trim line include the backup camera, reverse tilt mirrors and more. We tow an 8500 LB travel trailer with ease, great vehicle!

Favorite Features

Reverse tilt mirrors, towing ability, backup camera, heated and cooled seats, folding 3rd row seat, towing capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Allow the backup camera to be used at other times by allowing a selector switch. GPS is not very user friendly and cannot be used while moving; allow an over ride so the passenger can use the system when the passenger seat is occupied.

Great Family Vehicle
By Jonathan

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I was interested in the Sequoia before the redesign, and after seeing the new 2008's it moved to top of my list. We got the Limited edition and added the dual headrest DVDs with 2nd Row bucket seats. I could not be more happy with this car. It is primarily my wife's and she goes on and on about how much she loves driving this car. It has an incredible turning radius for a car of its size and drives very quiet and smooth. For long trips, the ride, the navigation, and the rear DVDs make traveling with our 3 year old and 3 month old a breeze.

Favorite Features

Push button fold down 3rd row seats, automatic rear door, rear window that can go down, 2nd row bucket seats, headrest DVD system, navigation system, smooth and powerful ride and wonderful turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

The voice command is not as responsive as I'd like, the mic for the bluetooth is useless, I'd like to control navigation while driving, I would say gas mileage - but I didn't buy this car for the gas mileage.

Pros/Cons
By Paul Dobrovolskis

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV Platinum 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I needed a full size SUV that had trailer towing capacity that gave me room to play when towing a boat. I have had Toyotas in the past and though always scant on creature comforts have been extremely well made and reliable. My last clocked in at 450,000 km and only died due to an accident. Issues IPOD connectivity useless to non existent. Don't bother with the Toyota cable. Navigation package useless. Very error laden, extremely user unfriendly, better to buy an aftermarket system. A 150$ garmin will outperform the Toyota navigation. Gas cap has no lock. Oil changes, uses a cartridge filter that few aftermarket dealers have. Dealers even hate doing changes.

Favorite Features

Engine power- power to spare hauling 6000 lbs. Comfort; great seats, views good comfortable ride, plenty of adjustability for trailer towing. Turning radius - beats any other vehicle in its size class. Quiet ride, low noise at highway speed.

Suggested Improvements

By far the worst problem is the navigation/bluetooth system. The maps are years out of date. 2008 DVD with maps from NAVTEQ dated 2003!. Navigation lock out while in motion. You must stop to use it as the voice commands often won't read properly. Can't even find a gas station while in motion.

2008 Toy
By A Real SUV!!!

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Love this truck, bought it 500 miles ago. I had a Ford expedition that I got rid of when gas hit almost $5.00 a gallon. I went to a Cherokee sport which was just as bad, then I went to 2009 Toyota matrix, which was beautiful on gas, but I was very unhappy with the limited space. 10 months later I traded in the matrix for the sequoia (best investment I made!). I don't care if gas hits $10.00 a gallon - it's worth it & if you put super you can get about 14 miles a gallon in the city.

Favorite Features

JBL speakers, DVD, back up camera

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard, but what can you expect - it's a full size truck. If you want easy to reach, then go with a BMW x3 or x5 or a crossover!