Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Most Helpful|
2008 Toy
By A Real SUV!!!

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Love this truck, bought it 500 miles ago. I had a Ford expedition that I got rid of when gas hit almost $5.00 a gallon. I went to a Cherokee sport which was just as bad, then I went to 2009 Toyota matrix, which was beautiful on gas, but I was very unhappy with the limited space. 10 months later I traded in the matrix for the sequoia (best investment I made!). I don't care if gas hits $10.00 a gallon - it's worth it & if you put super you can get about 14 miles a gallon in the city.

Favorite Features

JBL speakers, DVD, back up camera

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard, but what can you expect - it's a full size truck. If you want easy to reach, then go with a BMW x3 or x5 or a crossover!

Big Beast
By LGreen

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

First the bad news - -I can't say I "love" the Sequoia. I'd rather be driving a Cayenne or a Land Rover Sport, or a BMW M5. But, with a big family, pets, nanny, and loads of sporting events and gear, the Sequoia does what it's asked to do, with ease. The Sequoia really proved itself, in my mind, just a few weeks after we bought it (used, with 20K miles) -- we drove it over 500 miles with kids to South Carolina. The kids didn't peep or complain once -- not a single time! They were comfortable, enjoyed the view out, with their own climate control and multiple cup holders, not to mention the excellent rear DVD system. I've also taken it offroad a few times and it's been fine.

Favorite Features

Long distance comfort; rear DVD; fantastic seating flexibility in 2nd and 3rd rows; reliability/confidence in driving a Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Make the next one a bit smaller -- bigger than the Mercedes GL but smaller than the current Sequoia. Get rid of the chrome grill - -I was able to swap mine for a color-keyed one at the dealer (much better and less intimidating).

Love our Sequoia
By B&C

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We debated on a mini-van, but wanted a larger 4wd. We looked at all the full size SUV's and chose the Sequoia that we purchased through a broker with 15,000 mi. It's an SR5, but loaded with almost every option available. Of course the mileage is horrible, but if you can get past that fact, you will love this SUV. It accelerates as good or better than my Mercedes E320. I have had 5 full size guys with 5 bikes and even my 6'3" buddy was comfortable in the 3rd row. We are very happy. On road trips we average around 18 mph. We put in an aftermarket DVD - if this is a requirement, get one with the factory DVD, aftermarket will not work with factory BT, poor steering wheel connections, etc.

Favorite Features

Power, large, very comfortable seats, comfortable on the road and very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that I can think of.

Great & powerful SUV
By fortyniner66

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I love this SUV .Have had 3 4runners, Acura mdx among many other vehicles. Last year We sold our dodge mega cab 2500 diesel and bought a crv. Last year we bought a boat and with several vehicles in our family already with kids driving we decided a used Tahoe or Yukon might be a option. We checked out the older sequoias however the power & towing stats on the 08 sequoia were impressive. We found a used sr5 with nearly all the options we wanted and fell in love with the car. Dream to drive..be realistic about the mileage ..it is what you would expect with the size and power..if mileage is your hang up you will want to pass. If you want power,space reliability and pure fun then give it a shot!

Loving the Sequoia's power, comfort and reliability
By sjhanks

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Need a big SUV to haul people, gear or tow. It's the best. Had a Yukon XL and it was plagued with problems. Didn't tow really well either. So we purchased the Toyota and spent a little more on it than other similar SUV's, it's my third Toyota and I think a few extra bucks is worth it. I do miss the Yukon XL's rear storage. But we just fold one side of the third row down and we have lots of storage. I also have 3 kids almost 6 foot or over 6 foot and they can fit really comfortably in the 3rd row because it is so roomy. Love all the power too, it tows so much better than the 2003 GMC. Pulls right up the hills with no problems

Favorite Features

Comfort for adults in all 3 rows. Power to tow or cruse. 19 MPG on a 12 hour road trip doing 80-85 MPH is not bad either Towing is great, no hunting for a gear while climbing grades. Sound system rocks Very good turning radius for it's size Hope it lasts for ever!!!

Suggested Improvements

Wish the rear storage had just about 8 more inches, but don't take it from and of the other seat's leg room.