Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Interstate Cruiser
By navintel

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

The Sequoia is a great interstate cruiser, comfortable,easy to drive and plenty of power when you need it. Plenty of room for people and cargo and got 21.1 mpg going from Delaware to AZ. I have taken it off-road several times with no problems.

Favorite Features

Great engine and the 6-speed trans is excellent for long distance driving.The engine loafs at 75 mph...

Suggested Improvements

For a vehicle that listed at $39,000,it should have lights on the vanity mirrors.

Best Large SUV out there.
By mg

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

If you have a chance to drive this, please do. I found it much more enjoyable and responsive than any of the large SUVs out there. I know Toyota has been hit with reliability issues, but it is Toyota...they will resolve it. I hope to drive this thing to the ground...and should be able too, but right now I only put about 4000 miles a year on this beast.

Favorite Features

The bluetooth handsfree phone. The streering wheel also just feels right.

Suggested Improvements

Better visibility for the side view mirrors. I wish they just put the larger Tundra mirrors on it or the Ford crew cab like mirrors. I added 2 small blind sport mirrors to improve the visibility

Great for travel and always reliable
By AJC

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This is a nice ride even on rough roads. The 4WD allows me to get in and out of just about anywhere. Great for travel and always reliable. I owned a land rover before this and I only miss the heated front windshield. This has more plastic than my 06 which makes the interior look cheep for a SUV of this price. The seats in my 06 are more comfortable for a small person...especially on the passengers side.

Favorite Features

Driving Experience.

Suggested Improvements

Heated front windshield-standard. Get rid of all the plastic. The seats are terrible for small people.

Towed 9000lb boat 4000 miles
By culross

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased my Sequoia used w/ 7K miles. Now, at 20K miles, the car still functions like new. Towed 9000 lb boat/trailer from south California to Alaska without any problems whatsoever. This SUV was able to accelerate up even the steepest mountain passes with the boat in tow. Very impressive. Now it allows me to take 6 other people along for fishing trips.

Favorite Features

Good power, great breaks. Solid build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel consumption could be a little better, but then we didn't buy it for fuel economy.

Big Beast
By LGreen

2008 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

First the bad news - -I can't say I "love" the Sequoia. I'd rather be driving a Cayenne or a Land Rover Sport, or a BMW M5. But, with a big family, pets, nanny, and loads of sporting events and gear, the Sequoia does what it's asked to do, with ease. The Sequoia really proved itself, in my mind, just a few weeks after we bought it (used, with 20K miles) -- we drove it over 500 miles with kids to South Carolina. The kids didn't peep or complain once -- not a single time! They were comfortable, enjoyed the view out, with their own climate control and multiple cup holders, not to mention the excellent rear DVD system. I've also taken it offroad a few times and it's been fine.

Favorite Features

Long distance comfort; rear DVD; fantastic seating flexibility in 2nd and 3rd rows; reliability/confidence in driving a Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Make the next one a bit smaller -- bigger than the Mercedes GL but smaller than the current Sequoia. Get rid of the chrome grill - -I was able to swap mine for a color-keyed one at the dealer (much better and less intimidating).