Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Love our Sequoia!
By Sequoia Rocks

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

So, let me start by saying we have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner, with 130,000 miles. We have NEVER had any issues with it and it drives like the day we drove it off the new car lot. Since then, we've had 3 girls and grown to a family of 5 and needed something new. So, we made a mistake. We bought a Acura MDX. Sold it. Bought a Cadillac Escalade. Sold it. Finally came back to our first love Toyota and found the Sequoia used with 44k. In short, this thing is now a member of the family. Yes, Toyota hit a rough spot, but they are still Toyota. They will recover and the 2008 Toyota Sequoia has exceeded ALL expectations. Not enough time to list all the things we love. Find one used, buy it.

So quiet, so tight, so big, so perfect, love the Sequoia!

Seats could be more comfortable, that is truly my only suggestion. Get a freakin' pad, this thing is OUTSTANDING!

Love our Sequoia
By B&C

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We debated on a mini-van, but wanted a larger 4wd. We looked at all the full size SUV's and chose the Sequoia that we purchased through a broker with 15,000 mi. It's an SR5, but loaded with almost every option available. Of course the mileage is horrible, but if you can get past that fact, you will love this SUV. It accelerates as good or better than my Mercedes E320. I have had 5 full size guys with 5 bikes and even my 6'3" buddy was comfortable in the 3rd row. We are very happy. On road trips we average around 18 mph. We put in an aftermarket DVD - if this is a requirement, get one with the factory DVD, aftermarket will not work with factory BT, poor steering wheel connections, etc.

Power, large, very comfortable seats, comfortable on the road and very fun to drive.

Nothing that I can think of.

Good all around value
By tommyk

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I forget I am in a large vehicle most of the time. It has a silky smooth drive train with an amazing amount of power should you need it. I wish the ride was a bit smoother, but what can one expect from a vehicle with a tow rating of 10,000 lbs? I get good mileage on the highway, I get about 20 mpg if I keep it at or below 65 mph and around town about 15. I have only had one little problem with it and that was a bad O-ring on the dipstick tube that needed to be replaced. Other than that it has been a star.

traction and stability control. I love the sonar system for heads-up control for tight maneuvering.

I wish it had a AWD setting.

WORST Toyota
By masterdoc

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Now with 34,000 miles, plastic trim falling inside and outside, rubber insulation on tailgate peeled off, engine with wheezing noise in the dash that 3 dealers can't find a solution for it, awful! Dealer interaction - bad - my other cars are 2008 Mercedes CLS, 2010 Audi S5 and 2005 Hummer H2 - by far this is the worst automotive I have owned! Planning to trade it in for either MB GL320TDI or Audi Q7 this fall! Even the recall repair required 2 visits! I guess the golden era for Toyota is over!

DESIGN - best SUV design inside and out!

BUILD QUALITY, reliability and dealer respect for problems

A beast
By kbert

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in a station wagon to get the Sequoia. With 3 kids, a spouse, a nanny, and a dog, I figured we really needed something bigger than mid- size/large SUVs like the M-B GL, Toyota Land Cruiser, or Land Rover LR- 3. After owning it for over a year, I was sort of right-- the Sequoia is a dream for family trips with lots of luggage. But, we only do those a 2-3 times a year! The Sequoia is nice for carting kids and sports equipment around, but a smaller SUV could do that too (though with the Seqouia, large/long items like skis and bikes can just be put inside without concern). In sum, it's just a bit too big for my taste and 99%-of-the-time needs. Family loves it though.

Space for long family trips; rear DVD; adjustable and wide second row; comfortable on highway

I have almost given up using the nav system -- it's so cumbersome compared to the one in my Audi A6; the dashboard plastic is thin and cheap (glove box is shockingly bad); Toyota should try to make the next one less long and not as tall (reduce size/width of hood, e.g.); engine is too rough/course.