Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Excellent Car for a Large Family
By Derek

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We just purchased our Sequoia two weeks ago and love it. We shopped around and took a look at the Tahoe and Escalade to compare it to. The Escalade was about $25k more and a lot worse on the mpg. Workmanship of the Tahoe had a poor feel and look to it, not to mention poor resale value. We had a 2004 Toyota 4 Runner and loved it, but were running out of space and decided to move up to the big boy. We can actually fit 3 more adults into the Sequoia over the 4 Runner comfortably. We opted for the SR5 4 X 4 with most of the options that come on the Limited edition, but without the additional $$$. We actually paid a little less for the Sequoia then we did for the 4 Runner almost 5 years ago.

The leather seats are plush and rear view camera is great. The second and third row seats have plenty of space for adults. The ride and gear shift with the 5.7 liter engine and six speed transmission is smooth. It's not a boat on the road and the steering, handling, and braking are very responsive.

Control panel should be angled more toward the driver to help those with a shorter reach, like my wife, get to the radio and other controls. Gas mileage could also be better, but again for an SUV of this size it's really good especially compared to other large SUVs.

Doesn't Compare to the Competition
By mjstariha

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We recently let go of our 04 Suburban. Our concern was the loss of room. We knew from experience, our 04 simply did not have the craftsmanship to rival our new Sequoia's life expectancy. The features are well thought out and intuitive. The conveniences have become necessities so don't skimp on these if you appreciate luxury. We needed all the features plus the room so save the addt'l 10k stick w/ the limited. Very smooth ride, not sure if the 20" tires make a difference from standard 17", our Sequoia is fully loaded with all the accessories except two-driver seat memory and 4WD. A month in and the Sequoia has a piece of all 7 (includes 2 Great Danes) of our hearts

Power at take off no drag, good steering control not loose like our last vehicle Parking assist, back up camera, and rear entertainment system, heated seats, JBL upgraded sound systems, window shades, automatic side view mirrors with turn signal.

When the rear entertainment system is down from the ceiling, it blocks rear view somewhat. Passenger side 8-12 way seat w/memory would be perfect.

This Central Texas Family loves our LTD.
By CourtneyL

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We've had our Sequoia since July 08, approximately 5 months. We are a family of 4. My husband, myself, and our two children both under 4years. We purchased the limited, black exterior with tan interior. Our sequoia has everything except for nav and dvd. Things we love: interior roominess- we can fit two carseats, and a full sized adult in the second and third rows. This never happened in our old suv. All three rows recline. In the second row, each seat moves individually. So if the middle person wants to recline, they can do so without bothering the other two riders. My husband now wants to trade his corolla S for a similar riding Tundra!

Window screens, light adjusting mirrors, power liftgate, power folding seats, reclining 3 rows, low tire pressure alert, roominess!, cupholders everywhere, get up and go!

Memory seating should be standard on a $49k vehicle. Mine does not have this. That is it, I'm otherwise very satisfied!

Big SUV, drives like a sedan
By soonersok

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

When I first looked at the new Sequoias I thought that they would drive like a monster, however, when I test drove it, it was so smooth and the transmission shifted without me even noticing it. You could tell that this vehicle was well engineered and geared towards people who want a large SUV but without the "truck like" feel to it. The Sequoia is driven primarily by my wife but I always find excuses to drive it on the weekends and we do all of our trips in it. Its a great vehicle and I strongly recommend it.

My favorite feature is the 5.7L engine, it's very powerful but sophisticated, along with the 6-speed auto transmission.

The front end styling looks a little bit like a cousin of the Dodge Ram, I would rather Toyota stay somewhat "vanilla" than go extreme to a look a like. Besides that, great SUV.

Excellent SUV
By Tommy

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I use the Sequoia for business and family travel. The family travel is primarily to horse shows. We pull a two horse trailer with two horses and the Sequoia does a great job of pulling 5,000 pounds. It also has plenty of room for our tack and provisions for the trip. The ride is extremely comfortable for all passengers.

The Sequoia is the most comfortable and quietest ride of any vehicle I have owned.

Climate controls could be easier to manage and closer to the driver. I find myself taking my eyes off the road too long to make changes.

• SUV