Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Good Family Vehicle
By mwaltjr17

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this to replace a Buick Enclave. There is a ton of room in second row, and third row (with second row seats moved forward). I love being able to independently move each seat in the second row. It handles much better than other vehicles its size. We are very happy with this purchase.

Favorite Features

Interior is terrific. Lots of storage options and cargo space. Very capable in bad weather. Power third row is very nice.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like the ability to add more than one phone to the bluetooth. Nav maps need an update. Quick release on the middle seat (2nd row).

A beast
By kbert

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in a station wagon to get the Sequoia. With 3 kids, a spouse, a nanny, and a dog, I figured we really needed something bigger than mid- size/large SUVs like the M-B GL, Toyota Land Cruiser, or Land Rover LR- 3. After owning it for over a year, I was sort of right-- the Sequoia is a dream for family trips with lots of luggage. But, we only do those a 2-3 times a year! The Sequoia is nice for carting kids and sports equipment around, but a smaller SUV could do that too (though with the Seqouia, large/long items like skis and bikes can just be put inside without concern). In sum, it's just a bit too big for my taste and 99%-of-the-time needs. Family loves it though.

Favorite Features

Space for long family trips; rear DVD; adjustable and wide second row; comfortable on highway

Suggested Improvements

I have almost given up using the nav system -- it's so cumbersome compared to the one in my Audi A6; the dashboard plastic is thin and cheap (glove box is shockingly bad); Toyota should try to make the next one less long and not as tall (reduce size/width of hood, e.g.); engine is too rough/course.

Best Large SUV out there.
By mg

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

If you have a chance to drive this, please do. I found it much more enjoyable and responsive than any of the large SUVs out there. I know Toyota has been hit with reliability issues, but it is Toyota...they will resolve it. I hope to drive this thing to the ground...and should be able too, but right now I only put about 4000 miles a year on this beast.

Favorite Features

The bluetooth handsfree phone. The streering wheel also just feels right.

Suggested Improvements

Better visibility for the side view mirrors. I wish they just put the larger Tundra mirrors on it or the Ford crew cab like mirrors. I added 2 small blind sport mirrors to improve the visibility

Towed 9000lb boat 4000 miles
By culross

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased my Sequoia used w/ 7K miles. Now, at 20K miles, the car still functions like new. Towed 9000 lb boat/trailer from south California to Alaska without any problems whatsoever. This SUV was able to accelerate up even the steepest mountain passes with the boat in tow. Very impressive. Now it allows me to take 6 other people along for fishing trips.

Favorite Features

Good power, great breaks. Solid build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel consumption could be a little better, but then we didn't buy it for fuel economy.

Big Beast
By LGreen

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

First the bad news - -I can't say I "love" the Sequoia. I'd rather be driving a Cayenne or a Land Rover Sport, or a BMW M5. But, with a big family, pets, nanny, and loads of sporting events and gear, the Sequoia does what it's asked to do, with ease. The Sequoia really proved itself, in my mind, just a few weeks after we bought it (used, with 20K miles) -- we drove it over 500 miles with kids to South Carolina. The kids didn't peep or complain once -- not a single time! They were comfortable, enjoyed the view out, with their own climate control and multiple cup holders, not to mention the excellent rear DVD system. I've also taken it offroad a few times and it's been fine.

Favorite Features

Long distance comfort; rear DVD; fantastic seating flexibility in 2nd and 3rd rows; reliability/confidence in driving a Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Make the next one a bit smaller -- bigger than the Mercedes GL but smaller than the current Sequoia. Get rid of the chrome grill - -I was able to swap mine for a color-keyed one at the dealer (much better and less intimidating).