Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Love my new Sequoia
By capnjackflash

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

2008 Sequoia Platinum, slate w/ red rock interior, laser cruise and DRL the only options. I've already filled it with stuff twice and am amazed at how much fits with rearview mirror still usable. Interior reconfiguration is so simple and easy. 400 lb-ft of torque is always evident and handling is surprisingly good in the sport mode. In soft mode, 85 on a smooth interstate feels like 70. The seating position and front visibility are great, but there are blind spots behind the large front pillars. You get the same huge center console as the Tundra, designed for people using their truck as an office.

Favorite Features

This 5,700 monster has a turn radius like a Honda Civic. Driver has 4 cupholders in easy reach. The climate control is accurate and easy to use. Laser cruise control is totally predictable and so convenient. You must add this option if most of your driving is on the highways.

Suggested Improvements

6'3" and can't clean the windshield w/o a stool. A fold out step and handle would be nice. Laser cruise disengages when driving into the early morning sun. 5.7L V8 uses 0W-20 synth oil making the 5,000 mile oil changes about $110 a pop. Not enough pass. side mirror adjust for shorter drivers.

Silky Smooth
By hisenberg

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We drove our new Sequoia to Sequoia National Park for our first outing with the new vehicle. During this drive, we experienced driving in city, open freeway, mountain roads and icy roads. The entire drive was very smooth. The 6-speed automatic engine was far better than our previous 4-speed domestic luxury SUV. It handled very well in all conditions. The interior of the car has more "plastic" than I normally like. Needs a little more wood trim and some plastic mouldings are loose. Navigation system was excellent. The ride with the air suspension was very comfortable and the steering wheel was steady over all the bumps.

Favorite Features

Navigation system is outstanding along with the integrated bluetooth phone.

Suggested Improvements

Platinum only comes with 2nd row captain's chairs. I'd prefer to have a full 40/20/40 bench which would be much more versatile. HID headlights should be standard (not the halogen's that come equipped with the high end Platinum Edition).

Love My Big Luxury Toy
By DC

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my Sequoia about two months. I went all out. Got the red- rock leather interior, navigation, DVDs in the headrest, etc. My family and I love this SUV. The ride is so smooth and quiet. The leg room for all seats is wonderful. Love the heated and cooled seats. I think once you play around with the navigation it gets easier to control.

Favorite Features

I love everything.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

Best overall large SUV. Hands down winner
By Costa Rica For Me

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I've been a truck/suv guy all my life. When it became time to "put down" my Chevy Suburban I began diligent research to find it's replacement. Without question this is the best large SUV all around for the money. Go ahead and shop Chevy, Ford, Caddy, GMC, M.Benz and most importantly DRIVE THEM. Toyota has them all beat in quality and reliability and performance. While M.Benz has an edge on interior luxury, it lacks in ALL other categories when compared. Sequoia is unbeatable as a family vehicle, especially if you plan to take long trips or tow a boat or camper. What it lacks in the "bling" factor it more than makes up for in the "cha-ching" factor--financially it makes good sense.

Favorite Features

Third row seats (big enough for adults) recline and fold flat with the touch of a button. Extremely roomy interior, easy access to third row, power rear hatch, tons of storage space, comfortable seating, a rear window that actually goes down, back up camera and adjustable shocks for "sport"/comfort"

Suggested Improvements

Nav system is overly complicated. Perhaps a flex fuel option.

Best Suv Ever
By Sodhi

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

By far this is the best SUV on the market not just for the buck but for the features. So much interior room. The platinum edition feels like owning a Lexus with out the huge payment.

Favorite Features

Lazer Dynamic Cruise control, Nav, Bluetooth, sliding 2nd row seats, power rear seats that recline, and Heated Seat in the 1st and 2nd row