Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Loving the Sequoia's power, comfort and reliability
By sjhanks

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Need a big SUV to haul people, gear or tow. It's the best. Had a Yukon XL and it was plagued with problems. Didn't tow really well either. So we purchased the Toyota and spent a little more on it than other similar SUV's, it's my third Toyota and I think a few extra bucks is worth it. I do miss the Yukon XL's rear storage. But we just fold one side of the third row down and we have lots of storage. I also have 3 kids almost 6 foot or over 6 foot and they can fit really comfortably in the 3rd row because it is so roomy. Love all the power too, it tows so much better than the 2003 GMC. Pulls right up the hills with no problems

Favorite Features

Comfort for adults in all 3 rows. Power to tow or cruse. 19 MPG on a 12 hour road trip doing 80-85 MPH is not bad either Towing is great, no hunting for a gear while climbing grades. Sound system rocks Very good turning radius for it's size Hope it lasts for ever!!!

Suggested Improvements

Wish the rear storage had just about 8 more inches, but don't take it from and of the other seat's leg room.

Engine failure at 138k miles
By tmaracle

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought brand new. Always kept up with oil changes. Mostly highway miles. A valve spring broke, hit the cylinder head which broke and destroyed the engine block and everything. For the dealership to build me a new engine is $15k in parts, not including labor. You can't buy new engines like ford and GM. I bought a used engine for $6k and the labor cost ended up in a bill for $9850. The new engine is not working properly but the dealership is working with me. I am disappointed. I wanted to keep this truck forever. Now I'm faced with a tough decision. I also lost 3mpg's. Now around 13.4 mpg's when I used to average 16.4.

Favorite Features

Size, comfort and drivability

Suggested Improvements

Sell assembled engines, improved strength of valve springs. Seal electronics on running boards to prevent corrosion.

Great & powerful SUV
By fortyniner66

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I love this SUV .Have had 3 4runners, Acura mdx among many other vehicles. Last year We sold our dodge mega cab 2500 diesel and bought a crv. Last year we bought a boat and with several vehicles in our family already with kids driving we decided a used Tahoe or Yukon might be a option. We checked out the older sequoias however the power & towing stats on the 08 sequoia were impressive. We found a used sr5 with nearly all the options we wanted and fell in love with the car. Dream to drive..be realistic about the mileage ..it is what you would expect with the size and power..if mileage is your hang up you will want to pass. If you want power,space reliability and pure fun then give it a shot!

Great but a couple problems
By tmaracle

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We like this truck. I am encountering some issues. I added the running boards with LED's underneath that light up when the door is opened. The dealership is fixing them for the third time because the wires got corroded at the connection. It is not a water proof connector, bad design. I now also have a leaking oil pan. It appears to be the valve seal that is faulty because the hose and pan are oily. Hopefully the dealership will fix both issues under the extended warranty. So far they told me the light bulbs are not covered. LED's are not light bulbs, they are diodes that rarely fail. This is an electrical issue. Is anyone else having problems. Albeit, these seem to be minor.

Favorite Features

This is a great overall vehicle. I like the hands free, the sound quality of the stereo. It drives great, handles great and is relatively good on gas for its size.

Suggested Improvements

Better connectors and wiring for LED's on running boards. Better valve seals in the oil pan. Bluetooth needs noise reduction features and maybe a better location of the microphone.

Good Family Vehicle
By mwaltjr17

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this to replace a Buick Enclave. There is a ton of room in second row, and third row (with second row seats moved forward). I love being able to independently move each seat in the second row. It handles much better than other vehicles its size. We are very happy with this purchase.

Favorite Features

Interior is terrific. Lots of storage options and cargo space. Very capable in bad weather. Power third row is very nice.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like the ability to add more than one phone to the bluetooth. Nav maps need an update. Quick release on the middle seat (2nd row).