Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

2008 toyota sequoia
By jose chavez

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This vehicle saved my family's life!
By Lowe

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We were driving home from a ski vacation in Whistler, BC when a group of young snowboarders going too fast, lost control of their truck and crossed the center line, hitting us head on at over 50 miles per hour. We rolled and all 6 airbags deployed. It was a 2008 Sequoia... And it saved our lives! Yes, we already thought it was the best vehicle we had ever owned because it was comfortable, powerful, looked great and we could even fit a twin matters in the back for road trips. It wasn't a until I pulled my precious children from this crushed vehicle that I thanked God that I made the choice to buy it. I've since been told there are no know fatalities in the Sequoia.. I don't know if that's a fact or not... But I know for sure that we are not fatalities because of our Sequoia. Honestly, I didn't know it had a built-in roll bar or 6 airbags or such a good safety rating before this crash. I just knew it was comfortable, could tow the boat and fit the kids and all their friends. Now I know... And want everyone else to know too. Just thought I would share this if your are considering buying a Sequoia.

Second Sequoia
By Steve

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great vehicle. This is second one for us. We buy them with 60-70k miles. As long as they are local trade ins with clean car fax and documented service history I have no qualms about driving them to 200k miles and expect few repairs. Fuel economy is only downside,

Loving the Sequoia's power, comfort and reliability
By sjhanks

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Need a big SUV to haul people, gear or tow. It's the best.

Had a Yukon XL and it was plagued with problems. Didn't tow really well either.

So we purchased the Toyota and spent a little more on it than other similar SUV's, it's my third Toyota and I think a few extra bucks is worth it. I do miss the Yukon XL's rear storage. But we just fold one side of the third row down and we have lots of storage. I also have 3 kids almost 6 foot or over 6 foot and they can fit really comfortably in the 3rd row because it is so roomy.

Love all the power too, it tows so much better than the 2003 GMC. Pulls right up the hills with no problems

Comfort for adults in all 3 rows. Power to tow or cruse. 19 MPG on a 12 hour road trip doing 80-85 MPH is not bad either Towing is great, no hunting for a gear while climbing grades. Sound system rocks Very good turning radius for it's size Hope it lasts for ever!!!

Wish the rear storage had just about 8 more inches, but don't take it from and of the other seat's leg room.

Engine failure at 138k miles
By tmaracle

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought brand new. Always kept up with oil changes. Mostly highway miles. A valve spring broke, hit the cylinder head which broke and destroyed the engine block and everything. For the dealership to build me a new engine is $15k in parts, not including labor. You can't buy new engines like ford and GM. I bought a used engine for $6k and the labor cost ended up in a bill for $9850. The new engine is not working properly but the dealership is working with me. I am disappointed. I wanted to keep this truck forever. Now I'm faced with a tough decision. I also lost 3mpg's. Now around 13.4 mpg's when I used to average 16.4.

Size, comfort and drivability

Sell assembled engines, improved strength of valve springs. Seal electronics on running boards to prevent corrosion.