2008 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:
Great & powerful SUV
By fortyniner66 on 02/22/14 23:29 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I love this SUV .Have had 3 4runners, Acura mdx among many other vehicles. Last year We sold our dodge mega cab 2500 diesel and bought a crv. Last year we bought a boat and with several vehicles in our family already with kids driving we decided a used Tahoe or Yukon might be a option. We checked out the older sequoias however the power & towing stats on the 08 sequoia were impressive. We found a used sr5 with nearly all the options we wanted and fell in love with the car. Dream to drive..be realistic about the mileage ..it is what you would expect with the size and power..if mileage is your hang up you will want to pass. If you want power,space reliability and pure fun then give it a shot!

Great but a couple problems
By tmaracle on 05/16/11 08:42 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We like this truck. I am encountering some issues. I added the running boards with LED's underneath that light up when the door is opened. The dealership is fixing them for the third time because the wires got corroded at the connection. It is not a water proof connector, bad design. I now also have a leaking oil pan. It appears to be the valve seal that is faulty because the hose and pan are oily. Hopefully the dealership will fix both issues under the extended warranty. So far they told me the light bulbs are not covered. LED's are not light bulbs, they are diodes that rarely fail. This is an electrical issue. Is anyone else having problems. Albeit, these seem to be minor.

Good Family Vehicle
By mwaltjr17 on 03/01/11 06:10 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this to replace a Buick Enclave. There is a ton of room in second row, and third row (with second row seats moved forward). I love being able to independently move each seat in the second row. It handles much better than other vehicles its size. We are very happy with this purchase.

Love our Sequoia!
By Sequoia Rocks on 09/02/10 19:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

So, let me start by saying we have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner, with 130,000 miles. We have NEVER had any issues with it and it drives like the day we drove it off the new car lot. Since then, we've had 3 girls and grown to a family of 5 and needed something new. So, we made a mistake. We bought a Acura MDX. Sold it. Bought a Cadillac Escalade. Sold it. Finally came back to our first love Toyota and found the Sequoia used with 44k. In short, this thing is now a member of the family. Yes, Toyota hit a rough spot, but they are still Toyota. They will recover and the 2008 Toyota Sequoia has exceeded ALL expectations. Not enough time to list all the things we love. Find one used, buy it.

Love our Sequoia
By B&C on 08/26/10 21:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We debated on a mini-van, but wanted a larger 4wd. We looked at all the full size SUV's and chose the Sequoia that we purchased through a broker with 15,000 mi. It's an SR5, but loaded with almost every option available. Of course the mileage is horrible, but if you can get past that fact, you will love this SUV. It accelerates as good or better than my Mercedes E320. I have had 5 full size guys with 5 bikes and even my 6'3" buddy was comfortable in the 3rd row. We are very happy. On road trips we average around 18 mph. We put in an aftermarket DVD - if this is a requirement, get one with the factory DVD, aftermarket will not work with factory BT, poor steering wheel connections, etc.

Good all around value
By tommyk on 08/25/10 20:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I forget I am in a large vehicle most of the time. It has a silky smooth drive train with an amazing amount of power should you need it. I wish the ride was a bit smoother, but what can one expect from a vehicle with a tow rating of 10,000 lbs? I get good mileage on the highway, I get about 20 mpg if I keep it at or below 65 mph and around town about 15. I have only had one little problem with it and that was a bad O-ring on the dipstick tube that needed to be replaced. Other than that it has been a star.

WORST Toyota
By masterdoc on 07/04/10 06:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Now with 34,000 miles, plastic trim falling inside and outside, rubber insulation on tailgate peeled off, engine with wheezing noise in the dash that 3 dealers can't find a solution for it, awful! Dealer interaction - bad - my other cars are 2008 Mercedes CLS, 2010 Audi S5 and 2005 Hummer H2 - by far this is the worst automotive I have owned! Planning to trade it in for either MB GL320TDI or Audi Q7 this fall! Even the recall repair required 2 visits! I guess the golden era for Toyota is over!

A beast
By kbert on 06/09/10 22:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in a station wagon to get the Sequoia. With 3 kids, a spouse, a nanny, and a dog, I figured we really needed something bigger than mid- size/large SUVs like the M-B GL, Toyota Land Cruiser, or Land Rover LR- 3. After owning it for over a year, I was sort of right-- the Sequoia is a dream for family trips with lots of luggage. But, we only do those a 2-3 times a year! The Sequoia is nice for carting kids and sports equipment around, but a smaller SUV could do that too (though with the Seqouia, large/long items like skis and bikes can just be put inside without concern). In sum, it's just a bit too big for my taste and 99%-of-the-time needs. Family loves it though.

Interstate Cruiser
By navintel on 04/19/10 11:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

The Sequoia is a great interstate cruiser, comfortable,easy to drive and plenty of power when you need it. Plenty of room for people and cargo and got 21.1 mpg going from Delaware to AZ. I have taken it off-road several times with no problems.

Best Large SUV out there.
By mg on 04/16/10 12:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

If you have a chance to drive this, please do. I found it much more enjoyable and responsive than any of the large SUVs out there. I know Toyota has been hit with reliability issues, but it is Toyota...they will resolve it. I hope to drive this thing to the ground...and should be able too, but right now I only put about 4000 miles a year on this beast.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Sequoia in NJ is:

$184 per month*