Used 2005 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

2005 sequoia
By jrodgers

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very comfortable drivers seat. Have a back problem and traded in my 4Runner on the Sequoia. Big! Lots of room! Gas guzzler, but that is to be expected. Reverse detent not easy to get into. Gear shift on the steering column not a plus. Terrible turning radius. Excessive idle speed for about three to five minutes when first started. Could prove dangerous. Vibration at 30-50 mph when climbing a gently hill.Feels like a missfire, but the dealer here said all is ok. Park distance warning a must for this vehicle. Tires seem to lose pressure more quickly than other I have had. Have tire press. monitor system.

Driver's seat comfort. Room.

Engine idle speed. Sensation of a "miss" or vibration when climbing at 30-50 mph. Reduce the "bulk" of the vehicle. Closing the tailgate requires excessive force. Park assist should be standard on such a vehicle.

Nothing but problems!
By disappointed

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loved the truck until 5000 miles. Started sputtering and jerking under light acceleration while goig up hills. Dealer first said it was a computer problem. After three visits to the shop it became a transmission problem. The dealer replaced the transmission but the problem is no better. After two more days in the shop the dealer now says it is a "trait of the vehicle." Seems odd to me that two test drivers thought the problem was severe enought to warrant spending $3700 for a new transmission but now it is a vehicle trait! Truck is very uncomfortable on the interstate because every time you go up a slight incline or an uphill on ramp the car jerks and sputters. Nice trait Toyota!

rear view camera

Over Rated
By snoopy

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded a 2003 Suburban. Would not do it again. The Suburban has it all over the Sequoia when it comes to bells and whistles. Very disappointed in the Sequoia. As for reliability, already the plastic connectors(a .05 cent part) on both ends of the latch rod have broken. The Suburban has more room and cargo space. I got better gas mileage on my Suburban than the Sequoia and the Sequoia is the Limited model. Although it is made in Indiana and my Burb was made in Canada apparently my Sequoia was assembled either on Monday or Friday. In 2007 the Suburban is supposed to have an all new look. I will probably be going back to a Suburban. After all the Suburban is the Grandaddy of SUVs.

The only feature I like on the Sequoia is the sound system with the in dash 6 CD player along with the cassett player as I have about 300 cassetts.

Do away with the LCD displays on the Mileage indicater and especially on the Radio. Both are hard to see in the daylight. Redesign the shift lever because when in Drive it partially blocks the AC vent opening. Too much plastic. All in all I think the Sequoia is overrated, even the Grill is plastic.

Great Truck
By rileyb

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is truly a quality built truck. Previously owned a 2003 Sequoia. When replacing the 2003, I drove every other SUV on the market. I wanted to make sure I still wanted the Sequoia. After driving everything else, I still purchased the Sequoia. There is currently no other vehicle in the same class as the Sequoia. So far, the 2005 has been perfect, no problems, no service other, than standard oil changes, etc. I put over 35,000 miles on the 2003, it was flawless. I never had any service problems of any kind. I would make the same purchase again.

Plenty of room, very comfortable on the highway. I can spend 12 hours in the vehicle and still find the ride comfortable.

I wish the 3rd seat would fold out of the way. I do not need a 3rd seat, so I currently have the 3rd seat stored out of the vehicle. It creates an inconvenience.

LOVE this truck
By cat1996

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After having a Tahoe for years this is SO much better! Looks better too. Love the console between the middle seats to keep kids separated and pretty much love everything about this SUV. Took it on a 1400 mile trip last month with 2 kids and husband and have NO complaints at all. Lots of room for packing and comfortable ride. DVD definitely a plus on a 9 hour drive. Kids were able to plug the Gamecube in and play with the AV inputs and electrical outlet - you can't beat that feature!

The back window rolls down is the best feature, removeable center console between the 2 middle seats, auto closing of mirrors (good at the car wash), have a sunroof and a DVD player, very roomy third row seats even for an adult

A pain to store the 3rd row seats when you have to remove them - need to make them fold flat, hard to read the radio display when wearing sunglasses