2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2005 Sequoia Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Sort Reviews by

2005 sequoia
By jrodgers

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very comfortable drivers seat. Have a back problem and traded in my 4Runner on the Sequoia. Big! Lots of room! Gas guzzler, but that is to be expected. Reverse detent not easy to get into. Gear shift on the steering column not a plus. Terrible turning radius. Excessive idle speed for about three to five minutes when first started. Could prove dangerous. Vibration at 30-50 mph when climbing a gently hill.Feels like a missfire, but the dealer here said all is ok. Park distance warning a must for this vehicle. Tires seem to lose pressure more quickly than other I have had. Have tire press. monitor system.

Favorite Features

Driver's seat comfort. Room.

Suggested Improvements

Engine idle speed. Sensation of a "miss" or vibration when climbing at 30-50 mph. Reduce the "bulk" of the vehicle. Closing the tailgate requires excessive force. Park assist should be standard on such a vehicle.

Nothing but problems!
By disappointed

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loved the truck until 5000 miles. Started sputtering and jerking under light acceleration while goig up hills. Dealer first said it was a computer problem. After three visits to the shop it became a transmission problem. The dealer replaced the transmission but the problem is no better. After two more days in the shop the dealer now says it is a "trait of the vehicle." Seems odd to me that two test drivers thought the problem was severe enought to warrant spending $3700 for a new transmission but now it is a vehicle trait! Truck is very uncomfortable on the interstate because every time you go up a slight incline or an uphill on ramp the car jerks and sputters. Nice trait Toyota!

Suggested Improvements

rear view camera

Over Rated
By snoopy

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded a 2003 Suburban. Would not do it again. The Suburban has it all over the Sequoia when it comes to bells and whistles. Very disappointed in the Sequoia. As for reliability, already the plastic connectors(a .05 cent part) on both ends of the latch rod have broken. The Suburban has more room and cargo space. I got better gas mileage on my Suburban than the Sequoia and the Sequoia is the Limited model. Although it is made in Indiana and my Burb was made in Canada apparently my Sequoia was assembled either on Monday or Friday. In 2007 the Suburban is supposed to have an all new look. I will probably be going back to a Suburban. After all the Suburban is the Grandaddy of SUVs.

Favorite Features

The only feature I like on the Sequoia is the sound system with the in dash 6 CD player along with the cassett player as I have about 300 cassetts.

Suggested Improvements

Do away with the LCD displays on the Mileage indicater and especially on the Radio. Both are hard to see in the daylight. Redesign the shift lever because when in Drive it partially blocks the AC vent opening. Too much plastic. All in all I think the Sequoia is overrated, even the Grill is plastic.

Great Truck
By rileyb

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is truly a quality built truck. Previously owned a 2003 Sequoia. When replacing the 2003, I drove every other SUV on the market. I wanted to make sure I still wanted the Sequoia. After driving everything else, I still purchased the Sequoia. There is currently no other vehicle in the same class as the Sequoia. So far, the 2005 has been perfect, no problems, no service other, than standard oil changes, etc. I put over 35,000 miles on the 2003, it was flawless. I never had any service problems of any kind. I would make the same purchase again.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room, very comfortable on the highway. I can spend 12 hours in the vehicle and still find the ride comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the 3rd seat would fold out of the way. I do not need a 3rd seat, so I currently have the 3rd seat stored out of the vehicle. It creates an inconvenience.

LOVE this truck
By cat1996

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After having a Tahoe for years this is SO much better! Looks better too. Love the console between the middle seats to keep kids separated and pretty much love everything about this SUV. Took it on a 1400 mile trip last month with 2 kids and husband and have NO complaints at all. Lots of room for packing and comfortable ride. DVD definitely a plus on a 9 hour drive. Kids were able to plug the Gamecube in and play with the AV inputs and electrical outlet - you can't beat that feature!

Favorite Features

The back window rolls down is the best feature, removeable center console between the 2 middle seats, auto closing of mirrors (good at the car wash), have a sunroof and a DVD player, very roomy third row seats even for an adult

Suggested Improvements

A pain to store the 3rd row seats when you have to remove them - need to make them fold flat, hard to read the radio display when wearing sunglasses

very well designed
By ranma22

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The primary reason I liked this vehicle is the exterior design - it looks luxurious and comparable to the Land Cruiser. The fender wall makes this vehicle muscular. After I purchased the vehicle, I was very satisfied w/ the handling and comfort of driving. What about the engine? It feels very powerful. The actual mileage I'm getting so far driving on surface streets is about 12 to 13 miles per gallon; on the freeway, I'm getting about 14 miles per gallon. I logged all mileage and gallons of gas when I fill up my tank so that's how I obtained the numbers.

Favorite Features

leather interior, feels roomy, exterior design

Suggested Improvements

front center instruments, gas mileage

wonderful ride
By LR

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV is superb! Granted, I only purchased my 2005 SR5 Sequoia 2 days ago but I am so pleased with my purchase. It handles amazingly well for such a large-side vehicle. I traded in my 2002 4Runner - which was a fantastic car and thought I would never part with it. But the Sequoia is easy to handle, is very comfortable, and all of the controls are within easy reach. I was considering the GMC Yukon but I'm very glad that I came to my senses and decided to stay with the Toyota family!

Favorite Features

Inside and outside styling, steering wheel radio controls, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Too soon to comment here - love everything about it.

Can't match it....
By Dr Val

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loving it all the way!!!

Favorite Features

Styling (purchased special limited edition with billet grille, special bumper and skid plate; available only in Tampa and LA). Sweet ride :)

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage... that's nothing new I am sure :(

Smooth as silk
By SK

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I own an 03 SR5 Rwd, and the 05 is my 2nd Sequoia for a reason. I love the quality of the vehicle. It's super safe (saved me OTHER drivers' mistakes on a number of occasions), and is the surprisingly agile! The whole 'no chime for lights on' issue is alleviated by the fact that: a. you can turn your lights off by pressing the lock button on the keyless keyfob twice (light had to have been on while driving; if you turn the lights on after the car is off, it will stay on), and b. the lights turn off automatically under the same circumstances if the truck is off and the door has been closed. I think the timer is at about 30 seconds.

Favorite Features

I loved the torque of the 03, but the 05 took it up another notch. With a set of JBA headers and exhaust, the truck will have close to 300hp at the wheels. Other things: power tailgate window, moonroof, stability control features, looks, and overall comfort...

Suggested Improvements

Hmmmm.. My 03 tires went quickly at about 32K miles. The JBL 6-disk changer quality is questionable (swallowed CDs and had to be sent out to CA to get the extracted). I wonder if they can make third row seats fold into the floor? Toyota needs to issue a recall on the crappy dealership service reps!

excellent
By Melissa Hinzo

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This car has exceeded my expectations by far. I feel safe, have room for eight adults and don't spend a fortune in gas. My Jeep Cherokee V-6 uses more gas than my Sequoia. I love it, and would highly recomend anyone to buy this SUV.

Favorite Features

The air bags (there are so many) it makes me feel safe.

Suggested Improvements

make a built in car seat for toddlers Crysler makes them in their vans and I would love to have them in the Sequoia. It would make business better.