Used 2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Off road machine
By Ritchie

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I ended up pulling out two full-size trucks and a lincoln navigator out that were stuck in the snow. I am very impressed with its offroad capability. The differential lock is a great feature and it makes it almost impossible to stop. Awesome vehicle! Very glad I bought it!

Offroad differential

none

OH What a Failing
By ronc

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Got rid of a Trailblazer. Picked the Sequoia for Toyota reliability. Almost immediately observed a problem with oil pressure. Dealer had no clue ("never seen that before"). Went to arbitration, corporate ultimately claimed - ready for this?- "they all do that." Aside from hoping the engine doesn't seize, it's a nice driving vehicle, well suited to its purpose. I want to get rid of it, though. Toyotas are good if you get a good one. If you get a bad one, be advised you're on your own.

Roomy, good visibility, tourque, safety. Beats a minivan.

Tailgate is awkward and heavy. Heavy is good, but it needs better assist. Toyota's attitude that they never build a bad vehicle.

Am I the Only One?
By Texas Toyota

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Sequoia is a beautiful SUV. We replaced a Suburban with it but unfortunately have been disappointed. The ride is not only rougher but the road noise is much louder. We replaced the factory tires hoping to reduce the road noise but that didn't help. The gas mileage is lower than advertised being consistently 13.6 MPG combined city/highway (about 17 - 18 MPG highway). Also, its braking distance seems longer. There were several little problems for the first six months. This is our first Toyota and I have not seen a big difference in quality or performance.

The interior is nice and it has plenty of cup holders. The JBL sound system is good. The sun roof is water tight and it is quite.

The seat portion of the front seats are too short for my legs. It stops about mid-thigh. It would be more comfortable if it extended a few more inches. Deaden the road noise.

20 Months of Ownership
By cneighbor

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I prefer to wait a while before I offer my opinion so this should help used car buyers. The Sequoia is an excellent vehicle. Don't buy this truck if you're looking for a lot of gizmos. It's pretty plain jane compared to the competition. However, if you're looking for a very smooth ride and the satisfaction of knowing this SUV will last forever then buy one. This is a classic Toyota... great ride, quality, reliability and timeless styling. Just a couple of negatives mentioned below. I won't complain about gas mileage. I still don't understand people who buy a V8 SUV and do???

Very smooth ride, good power and smooth transmission, almost flawless reliability (side mirror developed a rattle and was replaced), tons of room (8 adult/children comfortable), classic styling (looks like it will age gracefully--think Jeep Wagoneer), resale value.

The JBL system is overrated... just doesn't sound very good, third row seat design is outdated, audio controls on the steering wheel should be standard (we were smart enough to special order it on our SR5), low pressure light for the tires is touchy (changes in temp will affect it every time).

Wife's New Car
By Joe Turpel

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife loves this car; everything from the comfort to the design, the power on acceleration, handling, the sound system, the silence when the widows are up, cargo space, the navigation system, back up camera, satellite radio and the DVD player.

Memory for the seat and mirror adjustments.

Emergency brake should automatically disengage when shifting out of park.