2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:
Don't leave home without it
By papote1111 on 05/15/13 06:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have now own my truck for the past 8 years. It feels like new except for the new tires I purchased they are meant for off road instead of highway other, than my truck is solid, looks good and feels great. I highly recommend Toyota trucks they are piece of mind worriers free and tremendous reliably.

I love this truck!
By CodyandKatie on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in a Kia Sportage for my Toyota Sequoia, and I couldn't be happier except in the gas department, of course. Great vehicle for those who don't want a minivan.

Not great
By CentralValley on 01/13/10 16:59 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought it to replace a Honda Odyssey because it was quieter and felt more solid. However, it performs worse, averages 7 MPG less and is not as comfortable or cargo-friendly. It refuses to get over 18 mpg on the highway and averages 13 in town. The socket to slide the 3rd row middle shoulder belt into will not hold it in place, so it dangles from the roof. One of the plastic moldings on the exterior of the rt. rear door came loose for no reason. The power rear window motor burned out and needed to be replaced. The dealer said that was common.(???) The rubber flaps in the front cup holders have torn out so cups aren't held snug. Too many cheap, hard plastic surfaces inside.

Love My Truck to Death
By Love my Truck on 12/09/09 12:41 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My truck rides like a car, at times people outside do not even realize there's a truck behind them, thats how silent the 4.7 Liter V8 (lexus) engine is. Although, I have had problems with the rear window & broken door latch, I really don't care because these thing are simply cosmetic to me. My truck runs, feels and looks great.

Love my Sequoia
By 2005 Sequoia on 05/31/08 22:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought the Sequoia new from the dealership and got an awesome price. We have used it to tow our boat and friends to the lake with no problems. We have 2 kids and plenty of room, barely use the 3rd row. Only had 1 recall on the tailgate hydraulics. We have 45k miles and no hints of any problems. We put the Michelin tires on and much better ride (if possible). I love the comfort as a driver and as a passenger. Plenty of room even in the back passenger seats. We hauled 8 volleyball players to a long distance tournament and no space complaints. I love this model but I am not happy to see the 2009 look. Looks too much like a Durango. Hopefully when we need a new one they will look different!

Great SUV
By Todd on 12/29/07 14:48 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Can't go wrong with this SUV. Built on the Tundra platform, but rides like a car with the power of a truck!

OH What a Failing
By ronc on 02/14/07 20:17 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Got rid of a Trailblazer. Picked the Sequoia for Toyota reliability. Almost immediately observed a problem with oil pressure. Dealer had no clue ("never seen that before"). Went to arbitration, corporate ultimately claimed - ready for this?- "they all do that." Aside from hoping the engine doesn't seize, it's a nice driving vehicle, well suited to its purpose. I want to get rid of it, though. Toyotas are good if you get a good one. If you get a bad one, be advised you're on your own.

20 Months of Ownership
By cneighbor on 11/07/06 14:57 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I prefer to wait a while before I offer my opinion so this should help used car buyers. The Sequoia is an excellent vehicle. Don't buy this truck if you're looking for a lot of gizmos. It's pretty plain jane compared to the competition. However, if you're looking for a very smooth ride and the satisfaction of knowing this SUV will last forever then buy one. This is a classic Toyota... great ride, quality, reliability and timeless styling. Just a couple of negatives mentioned below. I won't complain about gas mileage. I still don't understand people who buy a V8 SUV and do???

Excellent SUV
By momochan on 08/11/06 14:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Real safe vehicle, rides smooth, sturdy, reliable, handles like a luxury vehicle. The appearance is quite appealing. The thing that attracted me to the Sequoia was the look of it. I already knew about the value in owning a Toyota, the longevity of the engine but since the Sequoia came into production in 2000, I believe, I thought WOW they finally did it. After being impressed with the Land Cruiser, but not its price, Toyota went and duplicated the effort in a 20,000 difference. I'm proud to be an owner of the 2005 Toyota Sequoia and hope that this body style doesn't change any time soon, after all why mess with a good thing?

SR5 issues
By Jeff on 11/19/05 17:56 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I ALWAYS wanted one, so I took the plunge. So far, the car has been a disappointment, but only due to small problems. These issues have included interior leather defects, headliner replacement, some minor body damage noticed at purchase, and a popping noise resulting from servos that "click" on at 25-30 mph which activate the VDSC system. This "click" sometimes feeds over into the audio system causing a "pop" in the speakers. The "click" is normal, but the "pop" is not. The dealer has been great with customer service and has always provided me with a vehicle while the Sequoia is in the shop. Evidently, the '05s & '06s have had more complaints about "weird" noises than any year model.