2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2005 Sequoia Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Sort Reviews by

Don't leave home without it
By papote1111

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have now own my truck for the past 8 years. It feels like new except for the new tires I purchased they are meant for off road instead of highway other, than my truck is solid, looks good and feels great. I highly recommend Toyota trucks they are piece of mind worriers free and tremendous reliably.

Favorite Features

No engine noise inside cabin, spacious and engine power

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel consumption

$300 repair
By eric135

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased 2005 Sequoia and at 97K check engine light and VSC light dealer quoted $3000 to repair internal engine switches. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA.

I love this truck!
By CodyandKatie

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in a Kia Sportage for my Toyota Sequoia, and I couldn't be happier except in the gas department, of course. Great vehicle for those who don't want a minivan.

Favorite Features

Spacious 3rd row seating.

Suggested Improvements

Back hatch is HEAVY.

Toyota Reliability?????
By John

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was always told that toyota had the best vehicles out there, I don't beleive that anymore. At 28,000 miles I could already feel the transmission going out on this suv. I took it 3 times to 2 different dealers and none of them would admit that it had a problem. I was at at the middle of a huge intersection when I decided I had to make a u-turn, and guess what? the car just died out on me right there in the middle. Dealer found nothing wrong with it. I purchased this car with 25,000 miles on it, and it was a certified vehicle. Is anyone surprised about all the recalls toyota is facing right now? I'm not. Thank you for your failure to me toyota. I am going all american from now on.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks, roominess

Suggested Improvements

Make it a reliable vehicle. Do something about the exhaust, when you accelerate to hard it smells horrible. Also, the ac and heat unit leaves off a very disguisting and musty smell.

Not great
By CentralValley

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought it to replace a Honda Odyssey because it was quieter and felt more solid. However, it performs worse, averages 7 MPG less and is not as comfortable or cargo-friendly. It refuses to get over 18 mpg on the highway and averages 13 in town. The socket to slide the 3rd row middle shoulder belt into will not hold it in place, so it dangles from the roof. One of the plastic moldings on the exterior of the rt. rear door came loose for no reason. The power rear window motor burned out and needed to be replaced. The dealer said that was common.(???) The rubber flaps in the front cup holders have torn out so cups aren't held snug. Too many cheap, hard plastic surfaces inside.

Favorite Features

Power rear window, reclining 2nd and 3rd row seats, rear A/C controls, auto- off headlights, fog lights, full-size trailer hitch, strong V8, peace of mind that it will get my family to our destination.

Suggested Improvements

3rd row seat that folds flat instead of having to be removed, better fuel management, Transmission that doesn't hesitate, MUCH stronger brakes! Stereo volume control knob that actually works, Aux input for stereo and steering wheel controls, daytime running lights.

Love My Truck to Death
By Love my Truck

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My truck rides like a car, at times people outside do not even realize there's a truck behind them, thats how silent the 4.7 Liter V8 (lexus) engine is. Although, I have had problems with the rear window & broken door latch, I really don't care because these thing are simply cosmetic to me. My truck runs, feels and looks great.

Favorite Features

Looks, smooth ride, engine response, cargo area and finally knowing that Toyota maintains its value.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas millage

Great vehicle
By akers1996

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased it two weeks ago. Love it, best SUV I have owned. Fuel mileage could be better but hey it's a SUV. Plenty on interior room, beautiful vehicle on the outside. Very glad I bought it.

Favorite Features

Lots of room. Plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage

05 Sequoia is like most Toyotas!
By Yota Fan

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought mine used from a dealer in SC. One owner well maintained! In a day when most folks are cashing in on great mileage vehicles I opt to sell my 4Runner at 21 mpg avg. for a 15 mpg avg. vehicle. Sounds crazy but it is at best a weekend vehicle and vacation SUV. This is what I wanted in the beginning when I bought the 4Runner new which I still love but just lacked the room. It has decent power and drives like my Suburban which is a work vehicle as far as smoothness and comfort. I am a Toyota fan to say the least and have been for 21 years since high school with my 1983 Celica GT which I wish I had back many times. The only thing I can't get to work is the Homelink for my garage.

Favorite Features

Leather interior and controls. I like the layout of the vehicle and ease of removing seats (3rd row) that is not needed daily.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a few more miles per gallon but I won't hold my breath for that future development.

Love my Sequoia
By 2005 Sequoia

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought the Sequoia new from the dealership and got an awesome price. We have used it to tow our boat and friends to the lake with no problems. We have 2 kids and plenty of room, barely use the 3rd row. Only had 1 recall on the tailgate hydraulics. We have 45k miles and no hints of any problems. We put the Michelin tires on and much better ride (if possible). I love the comfort as a driver and as a passenger. Plenty of room even in the back passenger seats. We hauled 8 volleyball players to a long distance tournament and no space complaints. I love this model but I am not happy to see the 2009 look. Looks too much like a Durango. Hopefully when we need a new one they will look different!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, plenty of space, towing capacity. Much more sleek design than the Tahoe and Yukon's which is great when you are trying to park it in tight spaces

Suggested Improvements

Better design on the fold down 3rd row. Heavy and sometimes hard to remove the seats.

Excellent Value for Money
By Marut

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2005 just before Katrina hit and it was just for family weekends. Now I am driving it 3 days to work and even with the high gas price I manage it as I am getting about 17-18 miles a gallon (90/10 hwy/city). I have been thinking of getting a smaller commuter car but was rear ended couple of days ago at about 50 mph and the other car was smashed up badly and I had to literally go out and try to find where my truck was damaged as the hitch had taken all the brunt of the crash. The emergency responders as well as police and fire personal were awed by the vehicles safety so now forget the small commuting car as I probably saved a lot more than few dollars in gas - MY LIFE

Favorite Features

GPS, 4wd, sound system

Suggested Improvements

None