Used 2005 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Don't leave home without it
By papote1111

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have now own my truck for the past 8 years. It feels like new except for the new tires I purchased they are meant for off road instead of highway other, than my truck is solid, looks good and feels great. I highly recommend Toyota trucks they are piece of mind worriers free and tremendous reliably.

Favorite Features

No engine noise inside cabin, spacious and engine power

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel consumption

$300 repair
By eric135

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased 2005 Sequoia and at 97K check engine light and VSC light dealer quoted $3000 to repair internal engine switches. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA.

I love this truck!
By CodyandKatie

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in a Kia Sportage for my Toyota Sequoia, and I couldn't be happier except in the gas department, of course. Great vehicle for those who don't want a minivan.

Favorite Features

Spacious 3rd row seating.

Suggested Improvements

Back hatch is HEAVY.

Toyota Reliability?????
By John

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was always told that toyota had the best vehicles out there, I don't beleive that anymore. At 28,000 miles I could already feel the transmission going out on this suv. I took it 3 times to 2 different dealers and none of them would admit that it had a problem. I was at at the middle of a huge intersection when I decided I had to make a u-turn, and guess what? the car just died out on me right there in the middle. Dealer found nothing wrong with it. I purchased this car with 25,000 miles on it, and it was a certified vehicle. Is anyone surprised about all the recalls toyota is facing right now? I'm not. Thank you for your failure to me toyota. I am going all american from now on.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks, roominess

Suggested Improvements

Make it a reliable vehicle. Do something about the exhaust, when you accelerate to hard it smells horrible. Also, the ac and heat unit leaves off a very disguisting and musty smell.

Not great
By CentralValley

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought it to replace a Honda Odyssey because it was quieter and felt more solid. However, it performs worse, averages 7 MPG less and is not as comfortable or cargo-friendly. It refuses to get over 18 mpg on the highway and averages 13 in town. The socket to slide the 3rd row middle shoulder belt into will not hold it in place, so it dangles from the roof. One of the plastic moldings on the exterior of the rt. rear door came loose for no reason. The power rear window motor burned out and needed to be replaced. The dealer said that was common.(???) The rubber flaps in the front cup holders have torn out so cups aren't held snug. Too many cheap, hard plastic surfaces inside.

Favorite Features

Power rear window, reclining 2nd and 3rd row seats, rear A/C controls, auto- off headlights, fog lights, full-size trailer hitch, strong V8, peace of mind that it will get my family to our destination.

Suggested Improvements

3rd row seat that folds flat instead of having to be removed, better fuel management, Transmission that doesn't hesitate, MUCH stronger brakes! Stereo volume control knob that actually works, Aux input for stereo and steering wheel controls, daytime running lights.