Used 2003 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Electrical Problems galore
By Atlanta ALA

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Comfortable SUV; easy to handle; Unfortunately we have had persistent electrical problems that the dealer has been unable to repair, or at least repair properly. At times the headlights would not turn off or if turned off would automatically turn back on. The rear window got stuck a few times and would not function. Overall, it could be a great SUV, but for the money it was very frustrating not being able to get it properly repaired. It is our understanding that the dealer called Toyota a time or two for help.

Favorite Features

Rear window that rolls down (when it worked). 3rd row seats could be moved up or back to created more leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Easier to access 3rd row from 2nd row. I like Fords electrical fold down 3rd row and that it folds flat - Toyota needs that for better storage.

Enjoying my car
By LMari

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Love the ride. Husband 6'5" likes it better than his Surburban. Although he hits the button to open the rear window w/his knee. I've had it aligned three times because of a pull to the right. I couldn't take my hands off the wheel or I'd be in the other lane. The fourth time I went to another Tire Kingdom and it seems to be fixed. Gas mileage isn't the best 14.5 in the city and 18 hwy. I love sitting high on the road and I never thought I'd be a SUV person but I enjoy the Sequoia. I put wedged small mirrors on my side mirrors and after getting used to them I don't cut many people off! Keyless entry pads are stiff and stubborn. I've had them replaced once and it's time again.

Favorite Features

5 CD player. Rear AC - Kids love.

Suggested Improvements

Fold-in-Floor seats like the Surburban. Removing them is a PAIN. No lighted mirrors is a joke on a $40,000 car. Clock too low in center console. After I added the wood grain I can barely see it...Could of put it in the radio display.

Very Solid Family Hauler
By Maddog

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I believe the Sequoia is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is great for the family, work, and vacations. very reliable and a pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

The engine, torque, exterior and interior elegance.

Suggested Improvements

Need a DVD navigation system and Toyota factory entertainment system.

Very Comfortable SUV
By FlaCapn

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Having test driven the competition, the Sequoia was an easy choice. The Sequoia has nice lines, is a joy to drive, even the third row seats are comfortable. I've had mine for two years now and would get one again if I had the need. I still smile when I get in this thing and drive it, Toyota did a great job.

Favorite Features

Electric rear window, heated seats (even in FLA they're great), fantastic stereo system, and the overall ride and comfort of this truck.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power (the 2005 models have 282 HP, which is a 42 HP improvement. The removal of the third row of seats can be a pain. My paint has chipped easily, and if you drop anything in between the front seats and the console, it's no fun getting it out. Boy this thing can suck some gas, 13MPG avg

Excellent SUV
By Magnolia

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is an excellent SUV. Have owned it 2 years now. Not a single problem except the driver's interior door handle had broken. High quality throughout. Very roomy interior. All of us love it. Had Suburban previously. Ride is not quite as smooth, but tighter and sportier, with a fun factor that you don't have in a Burb. Had a number of mechanical problems with the Burb also. Get 17 mpg, better that most full size SUV's, but wish it was higher. All the safety features give a lot of peace of mind, VSC, TRAC, Antilock, and all the air bags and curtains. Excellent family vehicle.

Favorite Features

Good looking, stylish exterior; attractive dash and interior; love the music controls on the steering wheel and the sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

There should be a light for the front seat area that responds when the door is opened, like the other 2 rows; the head supports could be better shaped to offer neck support instead of just head support; and the driver and passenger visor mirrors should have a light option.