Used 2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Great Vehicle
By J Pruitt

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned the Sequioa for 2 1/2 years. NOT ONE PROBLEM. Just routine maintenance (rotate tires and oil change). No rattles, no squeaks, no loose fitting trim. The quality is A+. I will only buy Toyotas if they are this good. Gas mileage stinks---15/mpg-- --BUT I KNEW THAT WHEN I BOUGHT IT. This is a great vehicle for showing real estate to clients, transporting softbal teams, soccer teams, cub scouts etc. I also feel safe when driving on the daily life/death roulette of Houston's freeway system.

Quality.

Make the gauges (odometer, speedometer, etc.) with a white backround---they're hard to see when wearing sunglasses.

Silly Quality Problems in a Great SuV
By dwingate

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used from a respectable dealership. This SUV does a great job towing my 3500 lbs. trailer. But, in the 8 months that we've own the car we've had broken Interior Door handles on both driver and passenger side, faulty gasoline tank sensor unit, and rear brake drum retention pin which came loose and eventually chewed up the brake shoes and drum. This is my 1st Toyota and compared to my Honda Accord I'm surprised by the Silly Quality problems which one would not expect in a High Priced SUV like this, which I've had in this relatively short time. It's making me wonder if I should have bought the Pilot?

The Sequoia came prewired for the electronic break control needed to toe the trailer. It made it easy to hook up the Prodigy controller.

I like the Extra Large Moon Roof, but I find that I have to drop the back window down a little bit to keep the wind noise down if I ever want it open. Unfortunately, when you accelerate hard, like going up a hill, the exhaust fumes coming into the car become overwhelming and everything gets shut.

Sublime
By Charlie

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The Sequoia is very comfortable to travel in, has loads of room, but what really sold me were the comfortable reclining 3rd row seats. BTW, the seats in the Sequoia are not quite as short as most in the Toyota line. Gas mileage is not great - 15-19 mpg, but I can't pull a boat with an Accord. The V8 engine is a real jewel & smooth as butter, but does lack a little torque - not recommended for towing in the mountains - a fine SUV!

Whole vehicle feels like a swiss watch- nice leather, great 4WD in snow and ice, comfortably hauls 8 people (small folks in 3rd row is best). Quality, quality, quality & great resale value. Smooth & quiet ride too!

I wish Toyota made a turbo diesel. Engine is fine, but at 15 MPG, I want some more horsepower. The newer Sequoia has a little more torque & HP. Styling is not quite my favorite, but I'm still proud to own it and in no way regret my purchase. I'd but it again in a second- I drove EVERYTHING else!

very disappointed
By cjh

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Serious drivetrain problems the dealer says that it's all in our minds. I have been through four sets of tires since May of 03. We have had the truck serviced on time, we have have to replace the brakes. We had problem starting two weeks after we purchased it. This is was a brand new truck with 20 miles on it the day of purchase. I will not purchase another Toyota. We were in the market to purchase our daughter a car, but it will not be a toyota now.

The Sequoia needs to go back to the drawing board to work on front end problem. You need to find out why are the tires wearing out so fast.

Excellent SUV
By Reese's Mom

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have been extremely pleased with the Sequoia. I bought it for safety (for my daughter) and for it's beautiful design and powerful maneuvering abilities. Mine is black with dove gray leather interior.

4 wheel drive, leather seats, heated front seats, airbags all the way through, very comfortable, very smooth ride for an SUV, climate control all the way to the third row seats.

Needs to be equipped with better tires, they don't last long. Navigational system should be standard.