Used 2003 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 299 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

It's Okay
By CypressTX Driver

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's okay, my wife loves it and it is her car. To date no major problems with it, we've only had it for a year. There are a few things that don't work the way I expect them after driving domestic vehicles all my life but I can't say they're done wrong. One nice thing is it gets pretty good mileage for a large SUV. Over all the vehicle has no personality. But so far it has been reliable and the wife likes it.

The 4.7 V8 seems well matched to the vehicle. It has plenty of power to get the truck going.

More leg room. Also more lights when I open the door. Make the dash easier to see, stuff hidden by the steering wheel.

Unhappy
By william hester

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This Sequoia has been a real disappointment. Bought new, and have been paying for problems ever since. Bulb that used to illuminate the D on the dash when car is put in gear burned out. Surprise, this is an $85 repair at the dealer, plus cost of the bulb. Brakes are inadequate and require routine pads and rotors way too often. Figure $400 every 30k miles here. Timing belt and water pump at 90k miles, another $700 plus. Note, others use a timing chain, which doesn't require routine changes at premium prices. A/C has also gone out, as has rear hatch window motor. Toyota's Toyota will do nothing about the defective designs. My first and last Toyota for sure.

Size. Stereo sounds pretty good. Wheels look OK.

Design flaws are numerous. It should not require a trained technician two hours to change a lightbulb.

Still like my tahoe
By KIFER

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My wife and i just had our first child, I had recently owned a 99 tahoe with about 100,000 miles on it... time for a trade in. The toyota's mpg is a joke I am no hot rod and I am getting barely over 10mpg. I assumed buying a foreign car the fuel econony would be much better than that of a domestic. The comfort and handling of the sequoia is great. The interior dash and controls remind me of the 80's.

The posi-lock four wheel drive extra large moon roof

Fuel mileage, rear "trunk" handle, fuel sending unit,

A Mom and 2 Teens
By DonnaJ

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I Love my Sequoia!!. In the snow, I feel safe because I am confident that I can control the car as long as I drive appropriate for conditions. I taught 2 teens to drive it. We moved across the country with the car loaded with "stuff" and 2 dogs and still had room to stretch out and sleep. Changed the oil every 3K miles and serviced the car per recommendations and it still performs great at 90K miles. To date, the only problems we've had is the latch on the tailgate and the cd player had to be replaced. I wish the gas mileage was better with the price of gas rising but I'm not trading it in yet! Getting to the 3rd row of seats isn't very easy.

The ability to change the seating configuration is probably my favorite feature. It allows me to carry large objects, lots of kids and make long trips more comfortable to name a few.

Improve the gas mileage. Offer bucket seats for the middle row and the ability to remove the middle row of seats. It's hard to put in a TV.

Engine Issues
By mcgeem1

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It is embarassing to drive this car on cold mornings. When it is below 40 degrees out, the motor sounds like there is no oil in it. It taps so loud that people look to see what the clatter is. Toyota corporate claims that this is normal but they will not put it in writing. This vehicle drives like a luxury car. The motor is peppy. The handling is responsive. The moon roof squeaks a lot. the dealer allegedly replaced something but the visible components still had wear marks after the alleged replacement. I think they greased it. it was quiet for about five months. There is also a loud cracking sound from the front end that the dealer has not been able to find (under warranty)

Stability control Panic stop braking. (I used this once and it saved a herd of deer, not to mention my car)

Provide a switch to turn off traction control and stability control. I can not enjoy this car off road, nor can I do donuts in the snow