2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:
Silly Quality Problems in a Great SuV
By dwingate on 10/21/05 15:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used from a respectable dealership. This SUV does a great job towing my 3500 lbs. trailer. But, in the 8 months that we've own the car we've had broken Interior Door handles on both driver and passenger side, faulty gasoline tank sensor unit, and rear brake drum retention pin which came loose and eventually chewed up the brake shoes and drum. This is my 1st Toyota and compared to my Honda Accord I'm surprised by the Silly Quality problems which one would not expect in a High Priced SUV like this, which I've had in this relatively short time. It's making me wonder if I should have bought the Pilot?

Sublime
By Charlie on 08/20/05 02:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The Sequoia is very comfortable to travel in, has loads of room, but what really sold me were the comfortable reclining 3rd row seats. BTW, the seats in the Sequoia are not quite as short as most in the Toyota line. Gas mileage is not great - 15-19 mpg, but I can't pull a boat with an Accord. The V8 engine is a real jewel & smooth as butter, but does lack a little torque - not recommended for towing in the mountains - a fine SUV!

very disappointed
By cjh on 08/05/05 16:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Serious drivetrain problems the dealer says that it's all in our minds. I have been through four sets of tires since May of 03. We have had the truck serviced on time, we have have to replace the brakes. We had problem starting two weeks after we purchased it. This is was a brand new truck with 20 miles on it the day of purchase. I will not purchase another Toyota. We were in the market to purchase our daughter a car, but it will not be a toyota now.

Excellent SUV
By Reese's Mom on 07/29/05 11:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have been extremely pleased with the Sequoia. I bought it for safety (for my daughter) and for it's beautiful design and powerful maneuvering abilities. Mine is black with dove gray leather interior.

Electrical Problems galore
By Atlanta ALA on 04/27/05 21:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Comfortable SUV; easy to handle; Unfortunately we have had persistent electrical problems that the dealer has been unable to repair, or at least repair properly. At times the headlights would not turn off or if turned off would automatically turn back on. The rear window got stuck a few times and would not function. Overall, it could be a great SUV, but for the money it was very frustrating not being able to get it properly repaired. It is our understanding that the dealer called Toyota a time or two for help.

Enjoying my car
By LMari on 04/21/05 14:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Love the ride. Husband 6'5" likes it better than his Surburban. Although he hits the button to open the rear window w/his knee. I've had it aligned three times because of a pull to the right. I couldn't take my hands off the wheel or I'd be in the other lane. The fourth time I went to another Tire Kingdom and it seems to be fixed. Gas mileage isn't the best 14.5 in the city and 18 hwy. I love sitting high on the road and I never thought I'd be a SUV person but I enjoy the Sequoia. I put wedged small mirrors on my side mirrors and after getting used to them I don't cut many people off! Keyless entry pads are stiff and stubborn. I've had them replaced once and it's time again.

Very Solid Family Hauler
By Maddog on 03/03/05 09:02 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I believe the Sequoia is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is great for the family, work, and vacations. very reliable and a pleasure to drive.

Very Comfortable SUV
By FlaCapn on 02/12/05 16:08 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Having test driven the competition, the Sequoia was an easy choice. The Sequoia has nice lines, is a joy to drive, even the third row seats are comfortable. I've had mine for two years now and would get one again if I had the need. I still smile when I get in this thing and drive it, Toyota did a great job.

Excellent SUV
By Magnolia on 02/05/05 18:01 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is an excellent SUV. Have owned it 2 years now. Not a single problem except the driver's interior door handle had broken. High quality throughout. Very roomy interior. All of us love it. Had Suburban previously. Ride is not quite as smooth, but tighter and sportier, with a fun factor that you don't have in a Burb. Had a number of mechanical problems with the Burb also. Get 17 mpg, better that most full size SUV's, but wish it was higher. All the safety features give a lot of peace of mind, VSC, TRAC, Antilock, and all the air bags and curtains. Excellent family vehicle.

This is a Toyota?
By m0000 on 12/20/04 15:57 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Serious drivetrain problems the dealer says are a "characteristic, not a defect". Brand new car came with the wrong ECU (car computer). Warranty repair was limited to installing a used/remanufactured computer. Major exhaust leak under heavy throttle uphills. Toyota calls this "exhaust sulfur smell problem". Front wheels will not or cannot retain an alignment. Eats up tires. stiff ride. Trac control lights all come on - already fixed once. What next? Please don't make me deal with a toyota dealership anymore...