2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:
Still in good shape!!
By Lori Atkins on 09/16/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Well, it's true what they say... You get bored with a Toyota before you HAVE to buy one. This car is running great, with routine care. Just changed the serpentine belt, brakes ( sadly more often than I'd like, as this is supposedly a heavy vehicle ) tuned up, and it is ready to go another who knows how many miles. Headlights are frustratingly dim, despite bringing in to the dealer. That is probably the worst thing I could say! It is AMAZING in the Connecticut winters, runs smooth, I don't even worry about reliability. Hauling kids, boats, dogs, this Sequoia handles everything. Almost afraid to think about another car maker. Wouldn't hesitate buying a higher mileage Sequoia!

Not bad but having VSC issues at 100K
By Jim on 06/09/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Just turned 100K for 2003 sequoia and pretty good truck. Have had a few recent issues with the VSC light and needed sensor replacements as well as timing belt at 90K for about $1500 but other then that, pretty reliable. I have four kids (two in college) and we use for trips back and forth. I hope to drive and put 250K miles...

Toyota's not what they used to be?
By Charles on 10/06/08 18:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall the 2003 Sequoia is a very good family car, but lots of issues. Here is a list of problems and you'll see 3 of them are the same type of problem! 1) Inside door handle broke (was replaced while on warranty). 2) Gas gauge on the instrument panel is no longer working and reads empty when it is not. 3) Left rear passenger "Inside door handle" broke (not on warranty) 4) Back door window won't roll down 5) Right front passenger "Inside door handle" broke 6) Back door hatch "Handle" broke and now cannot open the back door at all. These door handles are just cheap plastic and would think Toyota should be replacing them by something stronger?

Nice reliable vehicle
By ARW on 09/25/08 08:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle all around. No issues since the day I bought it. Just regular Maintenance. I would say the tires that came with the truck are junk. Soft rubber the promote smooth ride but they were gone after 28k. Switched to Bridgestone Revos (fantastic tires). Got 60k out of those and now working on the 2nd set.

Great Family Car
By Robin on 09/19/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2003 Sequoia Limited with around 74,000 miles. I am the sole owner and have used this to haul children, dogs, trailers and boats up in the mtns. It was been a fantastic car for our family and I think the best "Large" SUV out there in terms of capacity. Even with the 3rd seat, you still have plenty of storage as opposed to many others (Expedition, Land Cruiser, Explorer, etc). The exterior styling still looks fresh after 5 years (I prefer it over the new ones) and I always feel very safe in my Sequoia. The only downside is the side storage compartment (needs a better closing mechanism) & of course fuel economy but unfortunately that is standard with large & small SUVs. :(

Love my Sequoia
By mommie on 02/06/08 20:13 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our Sequoia used and love it. We have always wanted one and have no regrets. It isn't that bad on fuel as we had anticipated, not too bad at all. If your considering it, do it! I don't see how anyone wouldn't enjoy this vehicle. They look great, ride smooth and are very comfortable. Although, I would try to get a certified one. Not that you may have to use it because the quality seems outstanding, but it's better to be safe. you can never go wrong purchasing a Toyota!

Excellent Excellent, buy this truck
By R Peacey on 12/02/07 13:16 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I live in Toronto Canada, we are a family of 5 and ski regularly so we get lots of extreme weather. The Sequoia is excellent in the snow, feels very safe under even the worst conditions and is solid on the road. Everything works well, there is a lot of storage and the Sequoia gets excellent mileage for a 6500 lb vehicle. This is a true 8 passenger SUV but is very nimble in parking lots

Average SUV
By p1 on 08/28/07 07:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is underpowered, and in my opinion, was designed primarily for soccer moms transporting kids to and from the field/mall. It was not designed for trailer towing. We tow a 4000# trailer in the warmer months and the vehicle has a very hard time doing it. In trying to pass a slow moving vehicle let alone just accelerate, the engine makes a lot of noise but nothing happens. We are well within the towing limits of the vehicle given trailer weight, passenger/cargo weights etc. We already get bad gas mileage so having a larger engine really wouldn't change things; we would just get more power out.

Solid Vehicle after 4 Years
By Tracie on 07/03/07 15:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My family and I have had this vehicle for 4 years now and it's still running really strong. We have the SR5 with cloth and I've thought of upgrading several times, but can't part with our Sequoia. It's so comfortable and I never had to worry about mechanical problems while on the road. This is the perfect full-sized SUV. I love that I can pull into my garage and still have room to walk around.

Great SUV
By Mike on 06/23/07 11:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I shopped for a year to find this SUV. Looked at all others and the Toyota won hands down. I bought for a good price and have taken it on an extended vacation through all of Northern Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, and finally back to Oklahoma. Two adults and two kids with all the luggage and junk we could stuff in. It was comfortable and we had no issues with driveability and durability. So far this vehicle has lived up to every expectation I have had. Gas mileage a little low but not out of expected range. Easy for me to drive at 6'4" and my wife at 5'2". If you are shopping and want a great SUV, look at this Toyota.