Used 2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews - 299 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Best money I have spent on a vehicle
By Brandon Valentine

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 03 Limited with 60k miles. Today I have 175k. I changed the timing belt at 105k (book recommends at 95k). Average 15.7 mpg. It does like to use brake pads, but nothing unexpected from a large SUV. I get it serviced at the dealership and keep the regular maintenance. The rear window motor went $500. It went a year later and I have not repaired it. Other than that this vehicle is reliable. I am confident taking long road trips with it even at 175k miles. My family of 5 and 2 dogs and all the luggage fit comfortably. My wife wants to replace it with a new one, but I see no need. My heart will be heavy the day I part with this vehicle.

RELIABLE FAMILY VEHICLE!!!
By anthonydw6

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

bought this truck used in 2009, i wish i knew how many miles, anyways we always traveled back and forth from Houston to Louisiana, in '10 we got a new battery, in '12 we replaced the alternator. We recently sold her because we got 3 new vehicles and this truck was almost at 200k miles and needed some tlc, we just did not have any money in the budge with 3 other car notes. But this baby was a joy to have and we always felt so safe inside. The day we let her go was just hard to believe, but we do hope she will bring joy to another family or something

I love my truck BUT...
By Baron

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Sequoia. I think it is the best looking of the full size SUVs and I usually get 18-20 mpg which is good for an 8 seat SUV. However, I have not found my Toyota to be as well built as my Honda's. I am constantly replacing interior trim pieces that and have replaced all of my interior door handles. My overall maintenance bill his higher with this vehicle than with my Honda's too. It it is not an O2 sensor dying or a CV boot splitting it is my bushings for my rack and pinion steering or something else. This thing eats break pads like dessert. Nonetheless, I still like the truck but just have some $ set aside for maint.

Exterior Look. Seating for 8. Gas mileage is good for a large SUV (18-20 mpg). Towing capacity.

Interior trim is cheap, parts snap off constantly. Door handles are poorly designed (I've broken all of the interior door handles and the exterior trunk latch since I purchased the SUV).

Spare Key
By Bob

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Just purchased my Sequoia used as a second vehicle. Spent a lot of money on new timing belt, serpentine belt, battery, replacing transmission fluid, etc. - which I anticipated and I am OK with all that. Seat belt retracter and gas gauge that failed right after purchased disappointed - but I still hung in OK. The big surprise that completely turned me off was a replacement ignition key (just the key!) to replace the lost key that did not come with the vehicle - $628 quoted! Unbelievable. From what I understand, an electronic module has to be replaced to work with a new key. Knowing that up front - I would not have purchased the Sequoia.

Roominess

I love my 03 Sequoia
By Bob

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 'o3 Sequoia new and have put over 105K on it since. My wife loves it and doesn't want anything else. I never thought she'd adjust so easily to such a large vehicle--no problem. The thing is rugged--we hit a guard rail at about 60 mph when we first got, and although it did considerable damage, we felt completely safe--it could have been MUCH worse. This was the only 4 wheel drive that could get out of our neighborhood during this winter's blizzard in Northern VA. Our neighbors were cheering us as we blazed a trail up the street. I'd consider getting a new one--if I could get my wife to give up her old one!!!!

The Car has been bullet proof--only routine maintenance. Its big, roomy, powerful and safe. 8 people?--no problem!

I'm not crazy about the stereo system. You have to absolutely rotate the tires every 3-4K miles, or they will get chewed up.