2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Sequoia - Consumer Reviews

2003 Sequoia Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Sort Reviews by

RELIABLE FAMILY VEHICLE!!!
By anthonydw6

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

bought this truck used in 2009, i wish i knew how many miles, anyways we always traveled back and forth from Houston to Louisiana, in '10 we got a new battery, in '12 we replaced the alternator. We recently sold her because we got 3 new vehicles and this truck was almost at 200k miles and needed some tlc, we just did not have any money in the budge with 3 other car notes. But this baby was a joy to have and we always felt so safe inside. The day we let her go was just hard to believe, but we do hope she will bring joy to another family or something

I love my truck BUT...
By Baron

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Sequoia. I think it is the best looking of the full size SUVs and I usually get 18-20 mpg which is good for an 8 seat SUV. However, I have not found my Toyota to be as well built as my Honda's. I am constantly replacing interior trim pieces that and have replaced all of my interior door handles. My overall maintenance bill his higher with this vehicle than with my Honda's too. It it is not an O2 sensor dying or a CV boot splitting it is my bushings for my rack and pinion steering or something else. This thing eats break pads like dessert. Nonetheless, I still like the truck but just have some $ set aside for maint.

Favorite Features

Exterior Look. Seating for 8. Gas mileage is good for a large SUV (18-20 mpg). Towing capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Interior trim is cheap, parts snap off constantly. Door handles are poorly designed (I've broken all of the interior door handles and the exterior trunk latch since I purchased the SUV).

Great Buy
By Scott Carbaugh

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Smooth ride, powerful and unbelievably reliable. Most comfortable seats of any car I've owned. We have 140,000 miles on it now and runs like the day we bought it in 2003. Sound system still sounds great. Only problems have been fuel gauge that sometimes doesn't work and VSC lights come on sometimes. Would like if second row was removable.

Favorite Features

Comfort, reliability, power and storage capacity

Suggested Improvements

Removable second row seats. Better fuel gauge. Brighter head lamps.

Nothing but problems
By laura alvarez

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Problems with vcs, trac, abs lights coming on and medal grinding noise when making a right turn, it has been taken in several times to the Toyota dealership and they can't figure it out, read all the reviews about this problem and decided not worth the hassle and felt very unsafe driving it, returned it for another vehicle, 2006 gmc Yukon what a shame for being a Toyota; had a Chevy 2003 suburban for 6 years 120,000 miles, not one problem other than fuel pump, should have kept it!

Favorite Features

great looking vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Do a recall about the vcs, trac, abs light, problem.

Not bad but having VSC issues at 100K
By Jim

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Just turned 100K for 2003 sequoia and pretty good truck. Have had a few recent issues with the VSC light and needed sensor replacements as well as timing belt at 90K for about $1500 but other then that, pretty reliable. I have four kids (two in college) and we use for trips back and forth. I hope to drive and put 250K miles...

Favorite Features

Nice ride on highway with fairly decent mileage of around 19/20mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Fix small issues like gas gauge, vsc issues, power outlet covers that are broken.

Toyota's not what they used to be?
By Charles

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall the 2003 Sequoia is a very good family car, but lots of issues. Here is a list of problems and you'll see 3 of them are the same type of problem! 1) Inside door handle broke (was replaced while on warranty). 2) Gas gauge on the instrument panel is no longer working and reads empty when it is not. 3) Left rear passenger "Inside door handle" broke (not on warranty) 4) Back door window won't roll down 5) Right front passenger "Inside door handle" broke 6) Back door hatch "Handle" broke and now cannot open the back door at all. These door handles are just cheap plastic and would think Toyota should be replacing them by something stronger?

Favorite Features

Very good family car for a large family. Nice looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger door handles that DO NOT break when a child opens the door. These are heavy doors and Toyota makes them using cheap plastic instead of a metal type door handle. Better gas mileage. Smoother ride and tires that last longer.

Love my Sequoia
By mommie

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our Sequoia used and love it. We have always wanted one and have no regrets. It isn't that bad on fuel as we had anticipated, not too bad at all. If your considering it, do it! I don't see how anyone wouldn't enjoy this vehicle. They look great, ride smooth and are very comfortable. Although, I would try to get a certified one. Not that you may have to use it because the quality seems outstanding, but it's better to be safe. you can never go wrong purchasing a Toyota!

Favorite Features

The look, design!

Suggested Improvements

None come to mind.

Solid Vehicle after 4 Years
By Tracie

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My family and I have had this vehicle for 4 years now and it's still running really strong. We have the SR5 with cloth and I've thought of upgrading several times, but can't part with our Sequoia. It's so comfortable and I never had to worry about mechanical problems while on the road. This is the perfect full-sized SUV. I love that I can pull into my garage and still have room to walk around.

Favorite Features

It's a Toyota! Size, quality, plenty of room behind 3rd row seats, roll-down rear window (very handy!).

Suggested Improvements

Flat-fold 3rd row seats, gas mileage (make a hybrid version?), center console could be improved, put 2nd row cupholders in the center armrest.

Great SUV
By Mike

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I shopped for a year to find this SUV. Looked at all others and the Toyota won hands down. I bought for a good price and have taken it on an extended vacation through all of Northern Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, and finally back to Oklahoma. Two adults and two kids with all the luggage and junk we could stuff in. It was comfortable and we had no issues with driveability and durability. So far this vehicle has lived up to every expectation I have had. Gas mileage a little low but not out of expected range. Easy for me to drive at 6'4" and my wife at 5'2". If you are shopping and want a great SUV, look at this Toyota.

Favorite Features

Smooth driving in both mountains and city. Roomy and versatile. Build quality and durability. Toyota name and expected long life.

Suggested Improvements

If I was the designer I would put in fold flat rear seats and wider/longer arm rests on the front seats.

SUPER SUV!
By Nicole

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Sequoia pre-owned last year, because I was tired of driving a minivan (have 3 kids) so still needed the room. Love it! It is very roomy, has leather and power seats, 6 cd changer and it's not even a Limited. The rear seat is nice, they can flip up and forward, like the roll down back window too. Do need a better way to get to 3rd row, though. I can fit a car seat, booster, and my oldest all in the second row! When we decide to trade-in my husband's van, we are definitely sticking with Toyota!

Favorite Features

Comfort, 6 cd changer, sitting high, classy style!

Suggested Improvements

Needs better brakes, sometimes doors are hard to open by kids, better access to 3rd row.